1928 Manitoba Game Reports      


1928 Winnipeg Wesley Senior Baseball League
First Series final standings        W     L      Pct.
Arenas*                             8     2     .800
Elks*                               7     4     .636
Norwood                             4     6     .400
Columbus Club                       4     6     .400
Tammany Tigers                      3     8     .273

* first-place Arenas and runner-up Elks qualify for First Series playoff final

First Series finals  (best-of-three series)

(July 5)  Cracking out 14 safe blows for a total of 18 sacks off the southpaw slants of Dunc Irvine, the Elks drew first blood in the First Series playoffs by clipping the Arenas 8 to 1. Johnny “Red” Davidson tossed a complete-game four-hitter for the Wapiti nine and fanned five along the way. “Packy” McFarlane and Laurie Cuthbert were the heavy clouters for the Antlered Herd, each slamming four base knocks.

Davidson (W) and Turk
Irvine (L) and Sinclair

(July 7)  The Elks captured the First Series honours in the Wesley Senior circuit by clobbering the Arenas 14 to 3 to complete a two-game sweep. The Brother Bills continued with the mighty clouting which defined their first-game performance, by hammering a tandem of Arena chuckers for 19 base wallops. Heading the swatsmiths for the victorious Elks was “Packy” McFarlane who pelted the orb for a triple, double and two singles. Teammates Gord Caswell and George Rivers each pitched in with a trio of base raps. Outfielder Art Frick belted a solo home run plus a two-bagger for the vanquished Arenas.

Ridgedale (L), Woolner (5) and Sinclair 
Davidson (W) and Turk 

1928 Winnipeg Wesley Senior Baseball League
Second Series final standings      W     L      Pct.
Arenas *                           6     2     .750
Norwood *                          6     2     .750
Columbus Club                      4     4     .500
Elks                               2     5     .286
Tammany Tigers                     1     6     .143

* co-leaders Arenas and Norwood move on to the Second Series playoff final

Second Series finals  (best-of-three series) 

(August 28)  Hitting at opportune moments behind the loose and indifferent play of the Norwood team, the Arenas romped off with a 4 to 1 win at Wesley Park in the opening game of the Second Series finals. Both teams banged out seven base blows but the Norwoods had an off-night defensively, ringing up seven fielding miscues. First baseman Greig Warren and outfielder Art Frick singled twice for the winners while utility player Sutherland replicated the feat for the vanquished nine.  

Woolner (W) and Sinclair
W. Stobie (L) and Olien

(August 30)  With veteran pitcher Alex Hill showing old-time form, the Norwood nine evened the Wesley Senior League Second Series finals at a game apiece by edging the Arenas 2 to 1. Hill, who was touched for four safeties while punching out nine batters, and Wally Lawton hooked up in a fine twirling match which ended after eight frames due to darkness. Norwood scored both of their counters in the seventh panel on a theft of home by Dick Marinelli followed by a perfectly-executed squeeze play by Camille Van Beneen which allowed catcher Lloyd to touch the home station. In the eighth, the Arenas threatened and plated their lone marker after Bill “Snake” Siddle doubled, went to third on an infield bingle by “Flabby” McLennan and scored on an infield ground out. Marinelli was the sole player from either dugout to put up plural hit totals, registering a brace of one-baggers.

Hill (W) and Lloyd
Lawton (L) and Sinclair

(September 3)  The Arenas qualified to meet the Elks in the overall Wesley Senior League finals after nosing out the Norwood aggregation 2 to 1 in an eleven-inning thriller. Winning flinger Wally Woolner and hard-luck loser Bill Stobie both put on a fine exhibition of chucking. The Arenas managed just five safeties while Norwood nicked Stobie for six. Trailing 1 to 0 for most of the game, the Arenas managed to knot the count in the bottom of the ninth frame by plating an unearned run following a sacrifice fly. The winning tally came in the bottom of the second overtime session when Chuck Ridgedale doubled, moved to the hot corner station on a passed ball and tagged up and scored on Bill Siddle’s sacrifice fly. Woolner and outfielder Hopper of the Norwoods led their respective squads at the pan with a double and single each.

W. Stobie (L) and Lloyd
Woolner (W) and Sinclair

Overall Wesley Senior League finals  (best-of-five series)
Arenas (Second Series champions) vs Elks (First Series champions/Provincial Senior champions)

(September 3)  Immediately following their 11-inning Second Series marathon victory over Norwood, the Arenas took the field once again to begin their quest for overall supremacy of the circuit. Another squeaker ensued but this time the Arenas came out on the short end of a 1 to 0 verdict with the First Series champion and provincial senior tiara holders, the Elks, emerging as the winners. Stellar performances on the mound highlighted this grueling contest. Winning elbower “Red” Davidson held the Arenas to four scattered hits and whiffed five in blanking the exhausted losers. Losing heaver Dunc Irvine was even more impressive as he set down the Antlered Herd on one solitary hit, a bunt single by Gord Caslake in the seventh inning, while fanning seven. The lone run of the game came in the eighth stanza when Connie Puhan’s grasscutter got through “Snake” Siddle in the shortpatch garden. He moved to the keystone sack on a passed ball and scored on successive sacrifices by Davidson and catcher Turk. Greig Warren of the vanquished nine was the only swatter in the fracas to snare more than one safety, singling twice.

Davidson (W) and Turk
Irvine (L) and Sinclair

(September 4)  Staging a belated rally in the closing innings, the Elks came from behind to score a 6 to 5 win in a game that was finished in semi-darkness after seven frames were in the books. The triumph boosted the Wapiti Tribe into a two games to none lead in the Wesley League finals. Taking advantage of the wildness of the Elks’ “Rookie” Arnison in the second inning, the Arenas pushed across five runs and seemed to have the game tucked away. Arnison settled down, however, and held the opposition both hitless and runless the rest of the way. Meanwhile, his mates found their batting eye, scoring a brace of markers in the fourth round and three more in the sixth to knot the count at 5 – 5. Laurie Cuthbert scored the winner in the seventh when, after reaching second base on an overthrow to the initial sack on an infield grounder, he advanced to third on a wild pitcher from losing flinger Chuck Ridgedale and romped home on Romeo Rivers’ hit down the third-base line. Shortstop Joe Rivers of the winners and Arenas’ outfielder Rutherford both had a pair of bingles.

Ridgedale (L) and Sinclair
Arnison (W) and Turk

(September 5)  The Arenas remained alive in the fight for the Wesley Senior Baseball loop crown by capturing the third game of the final series 3 to 1 from the Elks. Star southpaw Dunc Irvine of the winners tamed the Antlered Herd on six scattered hits and, after surrendering a run in the second frame, did not allow an opposing baserunner to reach third base. Veteran pitcher Jack Hind of the Elks was also in fine fettle but his wildness and costly errors paved the way for all three Arena runs. A two-run outburst in the fourth canto broke a 1 – 1 tie and paved the way for the Arena victory. After two had been retired, “Flabby” McLennan beat out an infield hit, stole second and touched the counting station on third baseman “Rosy” Rosenstock’s single. A pilfered sack by Rosenstock and a wild heave to first by Elks’ catcher Turk on a dribbler in front of the platter allowed the Arenas’ hot corner guardian to tack on the insurance run. First baseman Bill “Snake” Siddle of the victors led the willow wielders with a triple, the first extra-base hit of the series, and a single.

Hind (L), Bissett (9) and Turk
Irvine (W) and Sinclair 

(September 6)  The Elks added the overall 1928 Winnipeg Wesley Senior Baseball crown to their belts, to go along with the 1928 Manitoba senior championship, by staging a three-run rally in the bottom of the eighth and final inning to nip the Arenas 3 to 2. The Arenas picked up single tallies in both the first and eighth stanzas and appeared on the verge of deadlocking the series as the Wapiti nine came to bat for the final time in arrears by a 2 to 0 score. Starting pitcher Chuck Ridgedale beaned Joe Rivers to start the inning and southpaw Dunc Irvine was summoned to quell the potential storm. After Irvine whiffed Gord Caslake, “Packy” McFarlane drove in Rivers with his second hit of the game, cutting the deficit in half. George Rivers then drew a walk and Laurie Cuthbert singled sharply to send in McFarlane with the tying run. Up stepped Romeo Rivers who rose to the occasion with a blast to left field which platted brother George with the winner. McFarlane and playing-manager Greig Warren of the Arenas  were the leading swatsmiths for their respective nines, each creaming the pill for a two-bagger and single.

Ridgedale), Irvine (L) (8) and Sinclair
Davidson (W) and Turk 


Brandon had no senior-level baseball during the 1928 season


Central Manitoba Senior Baseball League

Miami *
Portage La Prairie

* 1928 Central Manitoba League champion


As the Manitoba Amateur Baseball Association set a mid-August deadline on registering for entry into the 1928 senior baseball playdowns, the Winnipeg Wesley Senior League was still in the midst of their Second Series schedule and, therefore, only the Elks (as First Series champions in 1928) were eligible to represent that circuit.

FINALS  (best-of-three)
Miami (Central Manitoba League champions) vs
Winnipeg Elks (Winnipeg Wesley League First Series champions)

(August 22)  The Elks of the Winnipeg Wesley League grabbed the first game of the Manitoba amateur baseball championships by whipping the Miami team of the Central Manitoba loop 16 to 3. Brothers George and Romeo Rivers had three hits apiece for the Antlered squad, a production matched by Craig, the Miami catcher.

Jordon (L), Sanderson (4), Jordon (4) and Craig
Arnison (W) and G. Dakins

(August 23)  After handily defeating Miami in the opener of the provincial series, the Winnipeg Elks played sloppily and allowed the Central Leaguers to knot the finals at a game apiece with a 5 to 4 triumph. Miami registered only two hits during the game, both singles, but a bevy of walks and five fielding miscues by the Antlered Herd allowed the underdogs to plate five counters. With the score knotted at 4 – 4 in the seventh canto, winning pitcher Sanderson reached base on an infield bobble and went to second on a walk to Ferguson. Both runners advanced on losing flinger Arnison’s wild heave, then a slow bounder to first by shortstop Woods scored Sanderson with the winner.

Bissett, Arnison (L) (5) and Turk
Sanderson (W) and Craig

(August 24)  Although experiencing defensive lapses for the second game in a row, the Elks of the Winnipeg Wesley circuit managed to squeeze out a 5 to 4 victory over a fighting Miami nine in the third and deciding game of the series for the 1928 Manitoba senior baseball crown. Veteran Jack Hind went the route on the hillock for the Winnipegers, yielding four hits while ringing up 11 strikeouts. His mates, however, committed six errors which led to all four Miami counters. A two-run single by Gord Dakins of the Antlered Tribe in the seventh panel broke a 3 – 3 tie and pushed the winners ahead to stay. Miami made it close with a singleton in their half of the round and came even closer in the eighth before a double play ended the threat.

Hind (W) and G. Dakins
Sanderson (L) and Craig

Winnipeg Intermediate Baseball League

Elmwood Giants
St. Boniface
St. Vital                                      
Transcona *                                  
West End                                   

* 1928 league champion

1928 Provincial finals (Transcona vs Sperling)

(September 1)  Transcona whipped Sperling 13-3 in the first game of the Manitoba Intermediate championship at Sperling Saturday. The winners played in top form fielding brilliantly behind the fine hurling of Ollie Olien. Anderson started for the home club but gave way to "Mike" McNultyKlingbell smacked a homer for Transcona.

Olien (W) and xxx
Anderson (L), McNulty and xxx

Efforts to locate information on any succeeding games in the Winnipeg Tribune and Winnipeg Free Press proved fruitless.