1957 Game Reports, Saskatchewan Junior/Senior Amateur     

(August 11)    Prince Albert Bohemians and Saskatoon Optimists split a pair of lopsided games Sunday in the opening round of a best-of-three series for the Northern Saskatchewan junior baseball championship.  Bohemians breezed in the afternoon contest 13-3, but Optimists rebounded to take the nightcap 8 to 1.

Lefty Bordie Adams surrendered just three singles and fanned 11 to gain the afternoon victory. He walked seven. Adams briefly gave way to Cliff Mein in the fourth inning when Saskatoon scored their three runs. Adams returned to complete the inning after Mein issued three walks.  Bohs collected 10 hits off three Optimist hurlers with starter John Farley being charged with the loss. Left fielder Jimmy Stewart led the winners with three hits. Saskatoon hurt its chances by making nine errors.

Farley (L), Richard (4), Thomson (8) and Johnson
Adams (W), Mein (4), Adams (4) and R. Balon

Southpaw Rod Campbell went the distance with a five-hitter to shutdown the Bohs in the second game as Optimists evened the series with an 8 to 1 triumph.  Campbell struck out six and issued no free passes.  Bohemian hurlers, who gave up ten walks in the first game, issued another nine in the second. Saskatoon managed just five hits with Al Wanner's triple the big blow.

Mein (L), Adams (2), Eithier (5), R.Balon (5) and R.Balon, Mein (5)
Campbell (W) and Johnson

(August 18)    Rod Campbell overcame a shaky start to toss steady five-hit ball to pilot Saskatoon Optimists to the Saskatchewan junior final with a 4-2 decision over Prince Albert Bohemians at Cairns Field.  The left-hander gave up two runs in the top of the first inning then shutout the visitors the rest of the way. Campbell was a force on offense as well poking a bases-loaded single in the sixth inning to score the tying and winning runs. 

Adams (L), R.Balon (6) and R.Balon, Adams (6)
Campbell (W) and Johnson

(August 25)   Saskatoon Optimists got off on the right foot in the Saskatchewan Junior Baseball best-of-five final Sunday downing Eston 5-4 in the opening game. The second game of a double-header was called at the end of eight innings with the clubs deadlocked 5-5. A run in the top of the 9th in the first game proved to be decisive. With a 4-2 lead, Saskatoon added a run on Charlie Goodwin's walk, Johnny Goodwin's single and an infield out. Eston rallied with two runs in the bottom of the ninth on Merle Byrne's double scoring Jim Golightly and Ken JohnsonJohn Farley, with relief help from Marcel Richard, registered the win.

Farley (W), Richard (9) and Johnson
Banks (L), D.Johnson (9) and McConnell

Saskatoon rallied with two runs in the top of the final frame to come from behind for the draw in the second contest.

Richard, Campbell (5), Richard (8) and G.Johnson
D.Johnson, Raycroft (8), Franklin (8) and McConnell, D.Johnson (8)

(September 3)  Catcher Gordie Johnson drove in three runs with a double and two singles as Saskatoon Optimists defeated Eston 44s 9-3 Sunday to take a two-game lead in their best of five provincial junior baseball final. The nightcap of a scheduled double-header was called off because of wet grounds.  The game was decided in the first inning. Eston scored a pair in their half of the first on an error, walk and Gary Franklin's three-bagger. The Optimists roared back in the bottom of the initial frame with four hits and a pair of free passes to score five times. John Farley scattered eight Eston hits, one a homer by Merle Byrnes, for the victory.

Banks (L), Fisher (6) and Johnson
Farley (W) and G.Johnson

(September 9)  Eston's Gary Anderson fired a no-hitter and Saskatoon Optimists made five errors Sunday but Saskatoon walked away with a 3-2 decision and captured the Saskatchewan Junior Baseball title winning the best of five series three games to none with one game tied. Five costly walks in the third inning ruined Anderson's gem. The sore-armed chucker, who hadn't worked the mound all season, retired two of the first three batters to face him in the inning, while giving Elmer Walker a free pass.  He then issued consecutive walks to John Goodwin and Keith Swan to load the sacks. Jim Cosgrove also worked Anderson for a walk to force in the first run and George Orchard followed with the fifth base on balls to make it 2-0. A passed ball brought Swan home from third before Anderson got a strikeout to end the inning.  Anderson had nine walks in total. Both Eston runs came in the 8th inning. Third baseman Gary Franklin got a free pass, stole second and scampered home on an infield error. After two batters were retired on strikeouts, the second run came home on a passed ball.  Eston got the tying run aboard in the ninth as Snyder singled with one away and advanced on a sacrifice. Cleanup hitter Franklin grounded out to Charlie Goodwin to end the game.  Marcel Richards held Eston to three hits and whiffed 11 in going all the way for the mound triumph.

Anderson (L) and Golightly
Richard (W) and G.Johnson