1915 Tournaments / Exhibitions     




(June 22)   Outstanding hurling by Happy Cornell and Crawford and superb team defense were the highlights as Brandon Maroons took first money of $100 at the seven-team Minto Tournament.  Maroons had their toughest test in their opening game as Riverside took a 3-0 lead in the first inning before Brandon battled back with three in the fourth and singletons in the fifth and sixth for a 5-4 victory. Shortstop Brown had a double and two singles for the winners. Cornell tossed a four-hitter with 15 strikeouts.

Campbell (L) and Gregg
Cornell (W) and Murphy

Minto topped Wawanesa 9-4 and Dunrea beat Margaret 10-6.

Crawford had an even better mound performance in the second game blanking Dunrea on two hits. He racked up 13 strikeouts as Maroons won easily, 10-0.  Scott, Murphy and Matheson each had two hits.

Bowlett (L) and Gregg
Crawford (W) and Murphy

Boissevain trimmed Minto 6-1.

In the championship game, Cornell held Boissevain to three hits as Maroons took the top prize with a 7-3 triumph. He added another 15 strikeouts. Catcher Murphy cracked a grand slam homer and single to lead an 11-hit attack. Burgess added a triple and single. In the 22 innings of the tournament, Maroon hurlers compiled 43 strikeouts and went through without a single error.

McInnis (L) and Picton
Cornell (W) and Murphy


(June 29)  Yorkton copped top money in the five-team Churchbridge tournament which involved entries from Binscarth, Esterhazy, Bredenbury, Yorkton and the home club.

In the opening game, Binscarth won from Churchbridge 11 to 5 while Bredenbury received a first-round bye.
Semi-final action saw Yorkton defeat Esterhazy 5 to 1 in the best and fastest game of the day. Veteran “Pud” Ball launched a two-run homer for the Yorktonites in that skirmish. The Manitoba squad from Binscarth then eliminated Bradenbury by a score of 13 to 3 to advance to the final against Yorkton. The finale was nip and tuck until the fifth round when Yorkton tallied five counters en route to an 8 to 3 verdict.


(July 1)   Rain and high winds caused the cancellation of the Dunrea Tournament but not before Wawanesa downed Brandon Maroons 3-2 in a five-inning contest. Shortstop McIlrea was the star of the contest with three hits, scoring twice and stealing three bases. Wawanesa got the winner in the bottom of the fifth when McIlrea singled, stole second and romped home on a three-bagger by Leachman.

Cornell (L) and McInnis
Marlatt (W) and Stevenson


(August 5)   The host Wilcox nine downed Gray 14-8 in the opening game as Cecil Hefflefinger came in relief of D. Lafoy to hold off the visitors in the high scoring affair.  Rouleau teased Milestone, holding just a 10-8 lead after seven innings but then exploded for two in the eight and 12 runs in the ninth to walk away with a 24-8 triumph. The runs came so easily than Rouleau decided to end the slaughter when, with two out, Dickson smacked a long blow, a sure double, but refused to run so that the Milestone fielder could throw him out at first.

In another offensive display, the final produced 33 runs as Rouleau held off a ninth inning challenge by Wilcox to post a 17-16 triumph.   Each team rang up 12 runs through the first four innings.  Rouleau pulled ahead 17-13 heading into the final stanza.  Lafoy and Smith plated runs to put Wilcox just two back with two out.  N. Metz then singled in Williams but Cook put out the fire to hand Rouleau the tournament victory and $75 first prize money.

Cook (W) and Plank
Hefflefinger (L) and Kirkpatrick