1962 Alberta Game Reports     


Still unable to achieve seven-team status as per its moniker, the Big Seven circuit did increase to six entries in 1962 with the addition of Leduc. The 1961 playoff champion team, previously sponsored by the Army & Navy Vets, became the Safeway Skylarks in 1962. The loop was plague by extremely poor weather conditions during the season, resulting in numerous rain-outs.

City Police Athletics
Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox
Leduc Lions
North Edmonton Rockets
Safeway Skylarks
St. Josaphat’s Saints

(May 21)  Fort Saskatchewan Victoria Day tournament

(May 25)  With newly-appointed playing-manager Mike Bellas of the Safeway Skylarks getting the heave-ho, the 1962 version of the Big Seven Baseball League got underway at Renfrew Park with the North Edmonton Rockets emerging as 9 to 8 victors over Bellas’ charges in a hotly-contested opener. Rival skipper, Wally Waddle, was the top dog with the stick for the winners, clubbing a single, double and triple. Southpaw chucker Dennis Lindstrand, the Skylarks’ starting heaver who was kayoed from the hill in the fourth and finished the contest in the outer pasture, led all swatsmiths with four safeties, one of which was a two-bagger.

Holmes (W), Ranger (6), Barrow (9) and H. Waddle
Lindstrand (L), Popik (4) and Williamson

(May 27)  The Safeway Skylarks and St. Josaphat’s Saints combined for 34 runs, 32 base hits and 18 walks as each team managed a victory and a loss in a Big Seven twin-bill at Renfrew Park. The newly-christened Skylarks broke loose for a 12 to 4 win in the opener but the heavy-hitting Saints roared back in the second contest to gain sweet revenge with a 17 to 1 power-shower.

Skylarks’ starting flinger Dave Dinwoodie toed the rubber for the first 4-2/3 innings of the matinée joust before giving way to Harvey Popik. Skipper Mike Bellas tossed the final go-round of the seven inning affair. The fiery-tempered Safeway playing-manager went three-for-four at the dish and drove in five runs. Pat Donnelly of the Skylarks clouted a third-inning four-master with one aboard.

Dinwoodie (W), Popik (5), Bellas (7) and xxx
Salahub (L), Olson (2), Callihan (6), Rechlo (7) and xxx

The Saints got a stellar three-hit mound performance from Dave Kosteniuk in the finale, a curfew-shortened affair, and deftly combined it with 17 hits to charge home with an easy win.

Kosteniuk (W) and xxx
Dinwoodie (L), Shenduk (1), Haney (2), Bellas (5) and xxx 

(May 27)  The City Police Athletics ventured to Leduc and spoiled the debut of the hosting Lions by capturing a 15 to 10 slugfest. Don Glover went all the way on the bump for the Cop Squad, yielding nine hits in earning the win. Gordon Huolt, the first of three Leduc pitchers, was the loser. Keith Stephens and Don Bailey each hit run-scoring three-baggers for the Athletics.

Glover (W) and xxx
Huolt (L), Kern (1), Raivio (4) and xxx 

(May 27)  Powered by home runs from Nick Baiton, a solo shot, and Ron Babiuk, a three-run blast, the North Edmonton Rockets clipped the hosting Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox 8 to 6. Bob Barrow, who came on in relief of Babiuk in the sixth spasm, picked up the pitching win while Gord Labossiere was nailed with the loss.

Babiuk, Barrow (W) (6) and xxx
Labossiere (L) and xxx

(June 1)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox chalked up their first Big Seven League victory of the campaign the a 5 to 3 win over the Safeway Skylarks. The Red Stockings outhit the Safeway squad 6 to 4. Relief pitcher Bob Hood, who replaced starter Ron Nychka in the fourth frame, copped the win while Dave Dinwoodie, who went the route for the Grocers, was tabbed with the setback. Outfielder Ian Henderson launched a solo tater for the Red Sox.

Nychka, Hood (W) (4) and xxx
Dinwoodie (L) and xxx

(June 5)  Right-hander Gord Labossiere fashioned a five-hitter in pitching the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox to a 5 to 1 conquest of the City Police Athletics at Renfrew Park. Playing before a large crowd, the Sox outswatted the Flatfoots by an 11 to 5 margin and were assisted by some critical fielding miscues during the early part of the game. Labossiere breezed 11 and walked four in going the route. Losing tosser Don Glover swished seven and issued five free passes. Catcher Roger Bourbonnais and first baseman Rod Gauf were the big men at the plate for the Sox. Bourbonnais smacked a triple and a single while Gauf contributed a brace of one-baggers. Outfielder Keith Stephens stroked a pair of singled for the Gendarmes.

Labossiere (W) and Bourbonnais
Glover (L) and Anderson

(June 12)  The City Police Athletic came from behind to nip the Leduc Lions 2 to 1 in Big Seven League action at Renfrew Park. Both teams had four base raps in a top-notch pitcher’s duel between Ed Williams of the Law Enforcers and young Gaalen Erikson of Leduc. The game was scoreless after seven innings but, in the eighth episode, each club plated a tainted tally as a result of routine fly balls falling in for hits in right field when the respective outfielders couldn’t see the ball because of the poor lighting. The Police pushed across the winner in the bottom-of-the-ninth when Herb Sewers tripled to the middle garden and beat Lions’ shortstop Doug Bienert’s throw to the plate on Ken Anderson’s sharply hit ground ball. Sewers added a earlier single to go along with his three-bagger.

Erikson (L) and Symington
Williams (W) and Anderson 

(June 14)  Behind the southpaw slants of 18-year old Dennis Lindstrand, the Safeway Skylarks knocked off last season’s pennant-winning City Police Athletics 7 to 1 at Renfrew Park. Lindstrand fanned 17, six of them in succession during the fourth and fifth innings, and doled out only two free passes while limiting the Cop Squad to six hits. Utilizing his fleet footedness, he was also a factor in the Skylark seven-hit offense, beating out two infield hits and swiping three bases. The loss was tagged on starting tosser Harry Lundy who failed to weather two frames before getting the hook in favor of Don Glover.

Lindstrand (W) and Williamson
Lundy (L), Glover (2) and Anderson

(June 15)  The North Edmonton Rockets shrugged off a stuttering start and came back to punch home seven runs in a belated seventh-inning rally to clip the youthful Leduc Lions 9 to 6 at Renfrew Park. For six innings the Northsiders swung limp strings of spaghetti at the offerings of Leduc starter Larry Kadatz and his subsequent reliever, Gordon Huolt, while Rocket heavers Jerry Ranger and LaVerne Holmes were being cranked about the park for six runs. But Huolt wavered in the seventh as North Edmonton surged back with a seven-spot to grab the lead for good. Holmes, after coming on in the third, struck out 12 and allowed the Lions two tallies in gaining credit for the victory. Big man at the plate for the winners was shortstop Ed Hauca who banged out a single and a double. Third baseman Jerry Powlik led the losers offensively with a triple and single.

Ranger, Holmes (W) (3) and W. Waddle
Kadatz, Huolt (L) (3), Raivio (7), Erikson (7) and Symington

(June 17)  Harvey Popik set the previously unbeaten North Edmonton squad down on two hits and whacked a run-scoring single as the Safeway Skylarks romped to an 11 to 0 win over the Rockets in the first game of a Big Seven doubleheader at Renfrew Park. The teams then fought to a 6 – 6 six-inning tie in the second game. Bill Lupul and Dale Barrow were the only Northsiders to register a safety off Popik in the matinée tilt. Providing much of the offensive punch for the Skylarks were catcher Don Williamson who ripped a double and two singles and Garry Naylor who singled three times

Popik (W) and Williamson
Babiuk (L), Holmes (6), Ranger (7) and W. Waddle

It took a supreme final-inning rally by the Grocers to earn a tie in the second contest. They trailed 6 – 3 entering the frame but wired together a walk, an error and two well-placed base knocks to pick up a trey.

Barrow and H. Waddle
Dinwoodie, Stewart (5) and Williamson

(June 17)  The hosting Leduc Lions and the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox divided the spoils in a twin-bill affair which saw the Oilers triumph 1 to 0 in the curtain-raiser before dropping the late tilt 12 to 6. Al Symington almost singlehandedly won the first game for the Lions. The speedy catcher singled to open the last-half of the final canto, stole second, advanced to third on an error and then stole home for the only run of the contest. Dale Turner fired a three-hitter for the shutout win.

Belter (L) and Bourbonnais
Turner (W) and Symington

The Red Sox made up for their lack of hitting in the opener by piling up 11 base knocks in the finale, including a home run by Gord Labossiere. Five Leduc errors also helped their cause.

Kooteney, Hood (W) (3), Labossiere (4) and Bourbonnais
Hannas (L), Huolt (4), Kadatz (7) and Symington  

(June 19)  Bespectacled right-hander Gaalen Erikson gave up but three hits as the hot-and-cold Leduc Lions squeezed out a narrow 3 to 2 victory over the North Edmonton Rockets at Renfrew Park. Veteran Larry Kadatz banged out a pinch-hit single in the top-of-the-ninth inning to drive in the second Leduc run and set up outfielder Reg Coles for the third. Coles, who had singled to reach base earlier in the frame with the winning run on Johnny Young’s sharp two-hopper to the pitcher. The Lions worked starting and losing chucker Jerry Ranger for ten safeties and capitalized on two Rockets misplays. All three hits off Erikson were singles. The Leduc slabster struck out nine batters and walked four. The top swatter for the Leos was shortstop Doug Bienert who picked up two doubles. Catcher Al Symington followed with a brace of one-baggers. The potential tying run, that of Denis Fonteyne of the Missilemen, was thrown out at second base for the final out of the game while trying to stretch an RBI-single into a double.

Erikson (W) and Symington
Ranger (L) and W. Waddle

(June 22)  The most rained-out team in the Big Seven Baseball League, the St. Josaphat’s Saints, finally got back into action after 26 days of inactivity. With import Roland Jones on the knoll, the much-improved Saints defeated the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox 4 to 1 at Renfrew Park. It was the second win in just three starts for St. Joe’s. Jones set down the heavy-hitting Sox on seven hits while fanning 11 and walking two. The lone counter registered by the Forts came in the eighth episode when George Kjenner collected his second hit of the evening, a double, and scored on successive singles by Ken Taylor and Roger Dejordy. Losing flinger Gord Labossierre was also nicked for seven safeties while whiffing eight and walking two. Second baseman Lyle Graham, not usually known for his hitting abilities, paced the winners at the plate with a triple and single. Catcher Ed Tanner banged out a pair of singles. 

Jones (W) and Tanner
Labossiere (L) and Bourbonnais

(June 24)   Changing speeds with the ease of an automatic transmission, Eddie Williams fired a seven-inning perfect game as the City Police Athletics edged the North Edmonton Rockers 1-0 in the opener of a doubleheader at Renfrew Park. Williams faced just the regulation 21 batters, fanning two. Dale Barrow was the tough-luck loser in the nail-biter, allowing just four hits while walking five. The winning run came in the final inning as Ed Howorko singled to drive in Jack Huff who had reached base with a free pass.

Barrow (L) and W. Waddle
Williams (W) and Anderson

The Athletics had to come from behind to score a decisive 12-5 victory in the second game. A seven-run explosion in the eighth inning proved to be the difference. Starter Bob Salahub, who gave way to Williams in the seventh, was credited with the victory. LaVerne Holmes, the first of three North Edmonton hurlers, took the loss. The victories for the Law Enforcers were their third and fourth of the season and moved them into sole possession of first place in the circuit.

Salahub (W), Williams (7) and Kulka
Holmes (L), Ranger (4), Wiese (8) and H. Waddle

(June 24)  The homestanding Leduc Lions staved off a late St. Josaphat’s rally to clip the Saints 6 to 4. Newcomer George Fowlkes, who toiled on the bump into the fifth frame before giving way to Gord Huolt, was the winning tosser. Bob Olson absorbed the loss. Al Symington, plying in the outer garden, belted a two-run dinger and a brace of one-baggers for the Leos.

Fowlkes (W), Huolt (5) and Rex
Bob Olson (L) and Tanner

(June 24)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox clubbed the Safeway Skylarks 7 to 1 at the Fort, bunching all their runs into the middle three innings to win going away. Bob Hood allowed two hits in taking the pitching decision. Dave Dinwoodie was tagged with the loss. Bob Solinger and Roger Dejordy had two hits each for the winners.

Hood (W) and Bourbonnais
Dinwoodie (L), Stewart (7) and Williamson

(June 26)  The surprising Leduc Lions scrambled their way to a 5 to 4 triumph over the Safeway Skylarks in Big Seven League action. Holding a 3 to 2 lead after seven innings, the Safeway squad became fumble fingered and the Lions pounced on the opening for a deuce in the eighth episode to take the lead. The foes traded ninth-inning singletons and the Skylarks, with their five errors throughout, came out on the short end of the decision. Lanky right-hander George Fowlkes, a Californian, picked up the pitching verdict in relief of starter Gaalen Erikson. Veteran moundsman Harvey Popik, who gave way to Don Stewart in the eighth, was charged with the loss. Reg Coles drove in two of the Leduc runs with a single and double. Fowlkes helped out with a pair of singles and middle pasture patroller Al Symington contributed a triple and single. All six of the safeties secured by the Larks were one-base raps.  

Erikson, Fowlkes (W) (6) and Rex
Popik (L), Stewart (8) and Williamson

(June 29)  Paced by the potent bats of Don Bailey and Stan Kulka, the City Police Athletics blasted out a 14 to 9 conquest of the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox to take a firmer grip on top spot in the Big Seven loop. Five fielding miscues, plus a trio of pitchers who gave up 13 hits, proved to be the downfall of the Forts. Lanky starter Bill Karbashewski, who toiled for five frames was credited with the win while veteran “Lefty” Belter was nicked for the loss. The Boys in Blue scored early and often, plating one in the first, five in the second and four in the third. Bailey and Kulka each drove in four runs with a trio of base knocks, including a two-bagger by Bailey. George Stickle had a double and single to lead the Red Sox offensively.                                                                                     

Belter (L), Kooteney (2), Hood (2) and Bourbonnais
Karbashewski (W), Williams (6) and Anderson

(July 3)  The Safeway Skylarks got a workman-like six-hit hurling performance from right-hander Don Stewart to slap down the Leduc Lions 4 to 1 to move into a tie for the runner-up spot in the Big Seven circuit with the Leos. Outfielder Dennis Lindstrand supplied the punch and counter-punch for the Larks, driving in two runs while hitting safely in three of his four official appearances at the plate. The speedy pitcher, doubling as a flychaser, also stole two bases and scored a run. Stewart swished nine and persevered to the end despite tiring noticeably in the late innings but some superb defensive work by his mates, including a double play, bailed him out of peril. Dale Turner, who started and went the distance for the Lions, was clipped with the loss. He gave up seven hits, five walks and struck out eight. The Safeway nine grabbed a 2 to 0 first-inning lead and were never headed.

Turner (L) and Erikson
Stewart (W) and Williamson 

(July 6)  Merv Currie came to the aid of starter Bob Salahub in the third inning, halting a mild Fort Saskatchewan uprising as the City Police Athletics chalked up a 7 to 3 win over the Red Sox. The win for the Gendarmes gave them a two-game lead atop the Big Seven League. Salahub and Currie allowed but five base knocks during the encounter. Bob Hood, who gave way to fireballing Gord Labossiere in the late going, was tagged with the loss. The Law Enforcers drilled nine base blows including an inside-the-park home run by third baseman Don Bailey. Catcher Ken Anderson powered out a triple and outfielder Zane Kotyk delivered a double and a single. George Kjenner and Ken Taylor each cracked out triples for the losers.

Hood (L), Labossiere (8) and Bourbonnais
Salahub, Currie (W) and Anderson

(July 8)  18-year old Californian George Fowlkes came through in the clutch, pitching the Leduc Lions to a narrow 6 to 5 conquest of the invading North Edmonton Rockets. The win moved the Lions into sole possession of the runner-up spot in the Big Seven League, 1-1/2 games behind the City Police Athletics. Fowlkes went all the way on the hill for Leduc, yielding six hits and three walks while striking out 15. Dale Barrow punched out eight in a losing cause. In arrears by a 6 to 2 count, the Rockets staged a desperate ninth-inning rally which netted them three runs but Fowlkes snuffed out their candle before a tying counter could be plated.

Barrow (L) and W. Waddle
Fowlkes (W) and Erikson

(July 8)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox, powered by the heavy bats of Ian Henderson and George Kjenner, whipped the St. Josaphat’s Saints 13 to 7 at the Fort. Henderson, with a home run and single, and Kjenner, with three doubles and a single, drove in the majority of the Sox’ tallies. Playing-manager Jim Ryan had a hot hand with the lumber for the vanquished Churchmen, poling out a pair of solo home runs. Gord Labossiere was the complete-game mound winner while Steve Kashuba, the first of two tossers used by the Saints, was stung with the loss.

Kashuba (L), Bill Olson (5) and Tanner
Labossierre (W) and Bourbonnais

(July 10)  Clipping the horsehide for 18 base blows off the slants of six chuckers, the St. Josaphat’s Saints completely crushed the North Edmonton Rockets 22 to 6. Roland Jones, who gave way to Vern Callihan in the eighth inning, picked up the easy pitching win. Starter LaVerne Holmes of the Northsiders was the loser. Lyle Graham had three hits and drove in three runs for the Churchmen. Catcher Ed Tanner drilled a tater for the winners while playing-manager Wally Waddle of the Rockets also had a round-tripper, an inside-the-park effort.

Jones (W), Callihan (8) and Tanner
Holmes (L), Ranger (6), Wiese (6), Mallard (7), Townsend (7), W. Waddle (7) and W. Waddle, xxx (7)

Standings                              W      L      Pct.    GBL
City Police Athletics                  6      2     .750     ----
Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox              5      5     .500     2.0
Leduc Lions                            5      5     .500     2.0
St, Josaphat’s Saints                  3      3     .500     2.0
Safeway Skylarks                       4      5     .444     2.5
North Edmonton Rockets                 3      6     .333     3.5    

(July 22)   The upstart Leduc Lions scrambled the Big Seven League standings by taking both ends of a doubleheader from the front-running City Police Athletics by scores of 6 to 0 and 6 to 2. The twin triumphs moved the Leos to within a few percentage points of the Gendarmes in the standings. The Lions, warming up for the big Lacombe tournament, used two pitchers in each of their games and the move paid off. Starter Gordon Huolt, who gave way to Gaalen Erikson in the fourth inning, was credited with the pitching victory in the matinée fracas.

Hannas, Williams (L) and Anderson
Erikson, Huolt (W) (4) and Symington

Lanky chucker George Fowlkes collected the winning mound honors in the follow-up scuffle.

Currie (L), Karbashewski (4) and Anderson
Hamas, Fowlkes (W) (4) and Symington

(July 22)  The visiting North Edmonton Rockets swept a twin-bill from the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox by scores of 4 to 3 and 6 to 3.

Right-handed slabster LaVerne Holmes annexed the pitching win in the lid-lifter at the expense of veteran Sox’ chucker “Lefty” Belter.  Flychaser Bill Wiese powered a two-run circuit-blast for the Missilemen in the seventh stanza. Bob Solinger drove in all three runs for the Red Sox.

Holmes (W), Barrow (7) and W. Waddle
Belter (L) and Bourbonnais

Dale Barrow went all the way in the wind-up tussle in recording the hillock triumph. The Sox managed to light him up for nine safeties and stole seven bases but were unable to deliver when bingles meant bacon. Ken Pollard yielded eight base hits in absorbing the loss.

Barrow (W) and W. Waddle
Pollard (L) and Bourbonnais                                                  

(July 22)  The St. Josaphat’s Saints and Safeway Skylarks split their two-game set at Renfrew Park with the Churchmen winning the first game 3 to 0 and the Larks capturing the second tilt 5 to 4 in ten innings. The Saints were hardly challenged in the opener as Bill Olson throttled the Skylarks on five hits in capturing the complete-game verdict. Don Stewart was nailed with the loss.

Bill Olson (W) and Bob Olson
Popik, Stewart (5) and Williamson 

A clutch squeeze-play bunt in the overtime session by catcher Don Williamson enabled the Larks to gain the split. Williamson laid down the perfect bunt to drive in Don Stewart who had earlier singled. Stewart, who came on to replace starter Dennis Lindstrand, was the winning tosser while Bill Olson was stung with the setback.

Bill Olson (L), Kashuba (9) and Bob Olson
Lindstrand, Stewart (W) (4) and Williamson

(July 24)  Outfielder Ed Howorko tripled in the bottom-of-the eleventh inning and came in to score the winning run on an error as the City Police Athletics edged the St. Josaphat’s Saints 7 to 6 at Renfrew Park. The win for the Cop Squad gave them a half-game lead atop the Big Seven League and a bit of breathing room. Howorko also had a pair of singles earlier in the game. Bill Karbashewski went the distance on the knoll for the victors, surrendering 11 hits. Vern Callihan, who replaced Saints’ starter Bill Olson in the seventh spasm, took the loss. Second sacker Lyle Graham paced the Churchmen at the plate with a triple and two singles. Barry Robertshaw added three singles while Alex Muzz contributed a double and a one-base hit.
Bill Olson, Callihan (L) (7) and Tanner
Karbashewski (W) and Kulka

(July 26)  Undaunted by a narrow defeat at the hands of their opponents 48 hours previous, the St. Josaphat’s Saints blasted the City Police Athletics 13 to 3 to move into third place in the Big Seven League standings and, at the same time, gain sweet revenge. The league-leaders were atrocious on defense, committing ten miscues, and the Saints fully capitalized on these errors, along with some timely hitting, to gain their one-sided win. Alex Muzz stroked two doubles and a pair of singles to pace the victors’ 11-hit attack. Lyle Graham followed  by collecting three singles. Bill Olson went the distance for the Churchmen to pick up the pitching verdict. He struck out six and issued two walks. Right-hander Ed Williams, replaced on the hill in the eighth by Gerry Porter, was nicked with the loss.

Williams (L), Porter (8) and Kulka
Bill Olson (W) and Bob Olson

(July 27)  The North Edmonton Rockets won their third in a row by defeating the slump-ridden Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox 9 to 8 at Renfrew Park. The victory moved the free-wheeling Missilemen into a tie for third place in the Big Seven circuit. The Northsiders blasted into an early 4 to 1 lead only to see the Forts knot the count at 6 – 6 in the seventh spasm, but the Rockets vaulted ahead again in the bottom-of-the-frame and added another deuce in the eighth. LaVerne Holmes, in a relief role, captured the pitching victory while Bob Hood, the second of three Red Sox hurlers, took the loss. First baseman Roger Dejordy was the hitting hero for the Forts with a triple and two doubles, but his all-out effort went for naught. Outfielder Ken Townsend slashed out two singles for the winners.

Kooteney, Hood (L) (1), Pollard (8) and Bourbonnais
Barrow, Holmes (W) (7) and W. Waddle

(July 29)  A late-inning outfield error in the second game of a double-dip allowed the surging North Edmonton Rockets to sweep their two-game set from the City Police Athletics. The Northsiders handily won the opener by a 7 to 0 count but had to rely on a dropped ball, two-run error by usually competent outfielder Zane Kotyk of the Gendarmes to pull out a 9 to 8 triumph in the sunset encounter. The double defeat dropped the Flatfoot Force from first into third place in the Big Seven loop, a full game behind the idle Leduc Lions and the Rockets, with the Leos having a slight edge by scant percentage points.

Right-hander Jerry Ranger started and went the distance  for North Edmonton in the curtain-raiser, allowing but three hits in earning the shutout victory. Bill Karbashewski, who gave way to Gerry Porter in the fifth, was tagged with the loss.

Ranger (W) and W. Waddle
Karbashewski (L), Porter (5) and Kulka

Kotyk’s blunder came in the sixth inning of the final game with the Athletics in front 8 – 6, two out and two runners aboard. Hugh Waddle looped a high fly into the right garden that appeared to be a routine out but turned into a two-run miscue, tying the score. Denis Fonteyne, the next batter, drove a line double to the middle pasture to score Waddle with the counter that turned out to be the winner. Playing-manager Wally Waddle took a rare turn on the bump, pitching 3-1/3 innings of scoreless relief, to pick up the win while Ed Williams, who came on in the fourth inning to replace starter Bob Salahub, took the loss. Flychaser Al Craig of the Missilemen picked up a double, two singles and drove in four runs during the afternoon.

Salahub, Williams (L) (4) and Porter
Barrow, Ranger (4), W. Waddle (W) (4) and H. Waddle

(July 31)  The North Edmonton Rockets vaulted into sole possession of first place in the Big Seven Baseball League when they defeated the cellar-dwelling Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox 3 to 2 at Renfrew Park. The victory was the sixth straight for the Missilemen and it came as per their patented formula, a late-inning rally. The Sox plated a singleton in the top-of-the-opening inning and led throughout until the seventh spasm when an error and successive doubles by Ken Townsend and Norm Gay put the Rockets on an equal footing at 2 – 2. Then, in the bottom-of-the-ninth, Bill Wiese drew a base-on-balls from losing tosser Bob Hood and eventually scored the deciding run on a single by Denis Fonteyne. Both Hood and winning flinger LaVerne Holmes went the route and both were touched for five safeties. Holmes fanned ten and did not issue a single walk. Townsend had a triple to go along with his two-bagger. Rod Gauf singled twice for the Forts.

Hood (L) and Bourbonnais
Holmes (W) and W. Waddle

Standings                              W      L     Pct.    GBL
North Edmonton Rockets                 9      6    .600     ----
Leduc Lions                            7      5    .583     0.5
City Police Athletics                  7      7    .500     1.5
St. Josaphat’s Saints                  5      5    .500     1.5
Safeway Skylarks                       5      6    .455     2.0 
Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox              5      9    .357     3.5

(August 2)  A 14 to 4 victory over the Safeway Skylarks boosted the Leduc Lions back into top spot in the Big Seven circuit by a few percentage points. After the Tabbies put up a six-spot on the scoreboard in the third canto, their margin was never threatened. They punched out a dozen safeties throughout the tilt with winning flinger Larry Kadatz spanking the sphere for three of them, all singles. Outfielder Reg Coles and third baseman Jerry Powlik both nicked the apple for a triple and single while Gaalen Erikson, who took over mound chores from Kadatz in the eighth, had a double and single. Dave Dinwoodie, the first of three Safeway hurlers, took the pitching loss. Big man at the dish for the Larks was Mike Bellas who laced a double and one-bagger.

Kadatz (W), Erikson (8) and Symington
Dinwoodie (L), Stewart (2), Popik (4), Bellas (5) and Harney

(August 6)  The exhilarating ride in the upper strata came to a screeching halt for the neophyte Leduc Lions at Renfrew Park when the St. Josaphat’s Saints scored four runs in the final inning to eke out a narrow 8 to 7 victory. The loss dropped the Leos into second place in the Big Seven League standings, a half-game behind the pace-setting North Edmonton Rockets. Clutch ninth-inning singles by Gary Chapman, Lyle Graham, Dave Littlechild, Bob Stewart and Ed Tanner supplied the main offensive punch for the Saints. Chapman started it out and Tanner ended it by driving in Stewart with the winning run. Dave Kosteniuk, who scattered nine hits over the route, walked two and struck out eight in earning the win. Gaalen Erikson, a jack-of-all-trades, absorbed the mound loss for the Lions. The Oiltowners grabbed a 2 – 1 first inning lead and were ahead 7 – 5 when the roof fell in on them in the ninth. Second baseman Terry Murphy, son of Leduc manager Bob Murphy, banged out a double and three singles in four official appearances at the plate. Catcher Al Symington also shone for the Tabbies with a pair of singles. Tanner had the only extra-base blow for the Churchmen, a double in the third inning.

Kosteniuk (W) and Tanner
Erikson (L) and Tanner

(August 7)  The City Police Athletics, still smarting from a disastrous mid-season slump, slapped down the St. Josaphat’s Saints 19 to 6 in a Big Seven League fixture at Renfrew Park. The win moved the Law Enforcers back into sole possession of third place in the loop. Although being touched for 14 hits over the course of his complete-game pitching victory, big Bill Karbashewski doggedly refused to allow more than two runs by the Saints in any single inning. Bill Olson, the first of four ineffective St. Joe’s twirlers, was charged with the loss. Catcher Stan Kulka led the 13-hit Police barrage with a two-run round-tripper in the eighth episode. Flychaser Ed Howorko lined a double and single for the winners and second baseman Gerry Porter had three one-base blows. Barry Robertshaw, Arnie Enger and Dave Littlechild provided most of the heavy artillery for the Saints. Robertshaw hit a triple and two singles, Enger pumped out a double and single while Littlechild delivered a triple and one-bagger.

Bill Olson (L), Callihan (5), Littlechild (7), Ryan (7) and Tanner
Karbashewski (W) and Kulka


(August 9)  In a one-game showdown to decide a Big Seven League representative in the Northern Alberta Baseball Association playoffs, the St. Josaphat’s Saints squeezed out a narrow 10 to 9 victory over the North Edmonton Rockets at Renfrew Park. With the win, the Saints now advance as Edmonton’s standard bearer in the first-round of the northern Alberta senior playoffs against Red Deer and are allowed to pick up four players from other Big Seven League teams as reinforcements.

The usually weak-hitting Rockets actually had a 17 to 12 edge in the horsehide-swatting derby but the Saints used their dozen blows to better advantage, connecting in a more timely fashion when bingles produced bacon. Bill Olson, who toiled on the hillock for only one complete inning after taking over from Saints’ starting heaver Dave Kosteniuk, was credited with the pitching victory. Jerry Ranger, who ascended the knoll in the fifth frame in relief of Dale Barrow, was nicked with the loss. Playing-manager Jim Ryan of the Churchmen was instrumental in the ninth-inning win. With the score knotted at 9 – 9, he doubled off Ranger in the bottom-of-the-frame and romped home with the winning tally when Olson punched out a single. Rockets’ outfielder Bill Wiese went five-for-five at the dish with a triple and two doubles included in his sum of blows. Arnie Enger had a triple and single for the victors while Denis Fonteyne of the Northsiders ripped a bases-empty inside-the-park home run in the fifth inning.

Barrow, Ranger (L) (4) and W. Waddle
Kosteniuk, Bill Olson (W) (9) and Tanner

(August 10)  The City Police Athletics made it two straight when they staved off a desperate last-ditch rally to down the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox 7 to 5. The Athletics, paced by the booming bats of Don Bailey and Herb Sewers, vaulted into a 5 – 1 first-inning lead and upped the count to 7 – 1 in the third frame. The Sox came on strong in the sixth when they scored their final four tallies. Bob Salahub, who gave way to Zane Kotyk in the fifth, picked up the hurling decision while Ken Pollard was tabbed with the loss.

(August 10)  The North Edmonton Rockets and Safeway Skylarks engaged in a two-game set at Renfrew Park.
The clubs fought to a 3 – 3 draw in the first game, a replay of a contest rained out earlier in the season.
The result of the second game, which ended in a virtual free-for-all with several players from both teams throwing punches, is still unconfirmed although the general conception is that the Skylarks won. 

(August 12)  The City Police Athletics moved to within a few percentage points of top spot in the big Seven Baseball League when they downed the Safeway Skylarks 10 to 5 to gain a split in a rescheduled doubleheader. The Skylarks took the other encounter 15 to 6.

Winning pitcher Bill Karbashewski was the hero for the Boys in Blue in the opener, scattering eight hits while whiffing five. Don Stewart took the loss. The Cop Squad combined six walks with nine timely base knocks to get the job done. Outfielder Zane Kotyk went yard for a four-ply clout and added a brace of one-base hits while teammate Herb Sewers tripled and singled.

The Flatfoots ran into early trouble in the other joust, due mainly to some inconsistent pitching on the part of starter Randy Salahub and reliever Kotyk. The hurling duo gave up an even dozen walks and an equal number of runs in four frames before Sewers came on to finish up on the hill for the Losers. Dave Dinwoodie went the distance for the Larks, fanning nine and walking seven, to pick up the slab decision. Stewart had an inside-the-park dinger for the Grocerymen.

(August 15)  The Leduc Lions, a team of mostly youngsters sprinkled with the odd seasoned veteran, rebounded from a first-game 5 to 1 loss to edge the St. Josaphat’s Saints 3 to 2 and gain a split in a rescheduled Renfrew Park doubleheader. The Lions and North Edmonton Rockets share first place in the Big Seven loop, a scant number of percentage points ahead of the City Police Athletics. Norm Dennis went the distance for the Churchmen and picked up the hurling triumph in the matinée tussle while Dale Turner, the first of a tandem of Oiltown chuckers, took the loss. Shortpatcher Bob Stewart led the victors’ batting attack with a brace of bingles, both one-base raps, while Barry Robertshaw and Gary Chapman each contributed a two-bagger.

Turner (L), Hunter (3) and Symington
Dennis (W) and Tanner

Gordon Huolt scattered six hits and rang up ten punchouts in the second-game victory for the Leos. Losing twirler Bill Olson also was nicked for six safeties but three errors by his teammates as well as a couple of mental mistakes, decided the issue. Leduc took a 1 – 0 second-stanza lead and increased the margin to 3 – 0 in the third on doubled by Gaalen Erikson and catcher Al Symington. The big inning for the Saints was the fourth when ran across both of their tallies on the strength of four hits.

Bill Olson (L) and Bob Olson
Huolt (W) and Rex

(August 16)  Exploding for an eight-spot in the top-of-the-eleventh inning, the St. Josaphat’s Saints lambasted the City Police Athletics by an 11 to 3 count. Two-run circuit-blasts by winning pitcher Dave Littlechild and catcher Ed Tanner in the second round of overtime accounted for four of the St. Joe’s tallies as the Saints mauled the hurlers from the Boys in Blue for 20 base knocks. The lopsided score minimized the stellar four-hit pitching chore by Littlefield. He walked five and fanned six. Losing heaver Ed Williams pitched well for the Gendarmes until the eleventh when the roof fell in and Herb Sewers had to be called in. It was a nip-and-tuck affair for ten frames with the Churchmen holding an early lead before the Cop Squad fought back to even things up in the eighth episode. Flychaser LaVerne Bonham of the Saints had two hits, a single and double, in the breakout eleventh.

Littlechild (W) and Tanner
Williams (L), Sewers (11) and Kulka

(August 17)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox picked up their easiest victory of the season when they were awarded a 9 to 0 Big Seven League decision over the Safeway Skylarks. The forfeiture came about when the Skylarks failed to field a full team for the game. In addition, the Larks were fined $50 by the league for not meeting their obligations.

(August 19)  The Leduc Lions swept both ends of a doubleheader from the North Edmonton Rockets, winning the first game 14 to 3 and the second 11 to 7 to annex first place and the 1972 pennant. Gordon Huolt and Gaalen Erikson were credited with the Leduc pitching victories while Dale Barrow of the Rockets was the losing heaver in both instances. Erikson hit a home run in the opener while Doug Bienert and Jerry Powlik of the victors dialed long distance for round-trippers in the late affair.

(August 19)  The Safeway Skylarks knocked off the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox twice at the Fort, doubling the Crimson Stockings 6 to 3 to begin things and then running up a 12 to 7 score in the twilight tilt. Both games were played under protest, It was the contention of the Forts that the Safeway squad used a catcher from the coast who had yet to be signed. Playing-manager Mike Bellas was credited with the pitching victory in the lid-lifter and Dennis Lindstrand copped the verdict in the sunset event.

(August 21)  A 6 to 5 loss to the St. Josaphat’s Saints prevented the Safeway Skylarks form clinching the final berth in the Big Seven League playoffs. The teams were deadlocked at 5 – 5 entering the bottom-of-the-ninth inning when Saints’ outfielder LaVerne Bonham led off with a booming triple off losing chucker Don Stewart. Two outs were recorded without Bonham being able to score. Gary Chapman drew a walk to put runners at the corners and then Alex Muzz slapped out a banjo single to finish it up in walkoff fashion. Reliever Dave Littlechild, who took over for Chapman in the fifth frame, was the winning hurler. The Larks now must knock off the North Edmonton Rockets in a sudden-death tie-breaker to achieve fourth-place status and a date against the pennant-winning Leduc Lions in the league semi-finals.

Final Standings                       W     L     Pct.    GBL
Leduc Lions                          12     8    .600     ----
St. Josaphat’s Saints                10     7    .588     0.5
City Police Athletics                10     9    .526     1.5
Safeway Skylarks                      9    10    .474     2.5
North Edmonton Rockets                9    10    .474     2.5
Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox             9    10    .474     2.5


(August 23)  Playing-manager Wally Waddle slashed out a double and two singles in leading the North Edmonton Rockets to a 12 to 1 thrashing of the Safeway Skylarks and a berth in the Big Seven playoffs. The Missilemen had everything going for them in the sudden-death joust at Renfrew Park. They jumped into a 6 – 0 lead after two innings and put the game on ice with a five-spot in the fourth frame. Complete-game winning flinger LaVerne Holmes fanned a dozen over the route, allowing six hits and walking but three. The Northsiders stroked  out a total of nine hits off three Safeway chuckers including starter and loser Dennis Lindstrand.

Lindstrand (L), Bellas (2), Popik (5) and Williamson
Holmes (W) and W. Waddle
SEMI-FINALS  North Edmonton Rockets vs Leduc Lions  & City Police Athletics vs St. Josaphat’s Saints  (best-of-three series)

(August 26)  The North Edmonton Rockets, fourth-place finishers who just squeezed into the playoffs, walloped the pennant-winning Leduc Lions 9 to 3 in the opener of their Big Seven League semi-final series. Right-hander Dale Barrow tamed the Tabbies on three hits and punched out six in going the route for the win.  Losing tosser Gordon Huolt and reliever Dennis Lindstrand, a playoff pickup from the Safeway Skylarks, were touched for seven safeties. Outfielder Bill Wiese led the Rocket hit parade with a double and single.

(September 2)  The St. Josaphat’s Saints and City Police Athletics split a two-game set as their semi-final bracket got off the ground. The Athletics nosed out the Saints 4 to 3 in the matinée tussle while the Churchmen prevailed 4 to 0 in the sunset skirmish.

(September 3)  Timely base knocks by Dennis Lindstrand, Jerry Powlik and Gaalen Erikson kept the Leduc Lions alive in their series with the North Edmonton Rockets. The Leos exploded for all their runs in the final four frames to whip the Missilemen 8 to 4 at Renfrew Park, prolonging the semi-final showdown to a third game. Powlik slapped out a triple and a two-bagger while Lindstrand and Erikson each hit a double and single at crucial times. 

(September 4)  The St. Josaphat’s Saints advanced to the Big Seven Baseball League finals at Renfrew Park when they downed the City Police Athletics 5 to 3 in the deciding game of a best-of-three playoff series. The Saints took a 2 – 0 first inning lead but fell behind 3 – 2 in the third session. Two counters in the fourth frame and a singleton in the fifth saved the day for the Choir Boys and propelled them to victory. Second baseman Lyle Graham smacked a triple and single for the victors while catcher Ed Tanner whacked out a double and single. Dave Littlechild pitched the entire game for the Saints, allowing six hits, walking five and striking out six. Bil Karbashewski surrendered 11 safeties and was nicked with the loss. Herb Sewers singled twice and walked one for the Cop Squad.

(September 5)  The North Edmonton Rockets, as per their patented formula, came up with their usual late-inning dramatics to whip the Leduc Lions 10 to 6 and move into the Big Seven League finals. Both teams picked up eight hits. The Northsiders exploded for five runs in the seventh inning to overcome an early Leduc lead and coast home as winners. Don Stewart, who assumed mound duties in the second panel in relief of Jerry Ranger, copped the pitching win while Gordon Huolt, the second of a trio of twirlers for the Tabbies, took the loss. Flychaser Bill Wiebe of the Missilemen had the game’s longest blow, a triple in the eighth episode. Stewart hit a brace of singles to help out his cause.

Ranger, Stewart (W) (2) and W. Waddle
Raivio, Huolt (L) (5), Kadatz (7) and Symington

FINALS  North Edmonton Rockets vs St. Josaphat’s Saints  (best-of-three series)

(September 13)  Trailing 11 – 0 after four innings of play, the North Edmonton Rockets staged a remarkable comeback to stun the St. Josaphat’s Saints 15 to 12 and take a one-game lead in the best-of-three series for the Big Seven Baseball League championship. Don Stewart, added to the Rockets’ playoff roster from the Safeway Skylarks, was credited with the pitching victory after assuming pitchers chores in relief of LaVerne Holmes in the second inning. The tandem of North Edmonton moundsmen allowed six hits, walked 12 and struck out eight batters. Gary Chapman, who hurled only the ninth inning for the Saints, took the loss. He had no more success on the hillock than predecessors Dave Kosteniuk, Dave Littlechild and Bill Olson. Middle pasture patroller Al Craig proved to be the hitting hero for the winners. He slammed out two singles and a triple in seven times at bat and drove in the winning run. Playing-manager Wally Waddle came through with a double and four singles while Bill Wiese rapped out four one-base blows. All told, the Missilemen collected 19 hits. LaVerne Bonham tripled for the Churchmen while clubmates Barry Robertshaw and Chapman each nailed doubles.

(September 16)  A 5 to 3 conquest of the St. Josaphat’s Saints gave the North Edmonton Rockets a sweep of their final series and earned the Missilemen the 1962 Big Seven Baseball League playoff title. The Northsiders sprayed ten base hits, all singles, to every corner of Renfrew Park and, in the lulls between the hitting storms, right-hander Don Stewart, a talented replacement from the Safeway Skylarks, hummed the Saints to sleep with a growling fastball that rebounded into fair territory only six times during the nine-inning affair. It was the second big mound win for Stewart in four days. The Churchmen burst into an early 2 – 0 lead and were out in front 3 – 1 at the end of six full innings but the Rockets exploded for a three-spot in the seventh, along with a singleton in the eighth, and it was all over but the hymn singing. Stewart, who hit a single and crossed the pan three times in aiding his own cause, struck out three Saints and walked six. Gary Chapman went all the way on the hill for the losers, fanning seven and issuing three free tickets to first base. The Choir Boys had doubles from second baseman George Stickle, a playoff add-on from the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox, and outfielder LaVerne Bonham. The most timely blow for the Northsiders was a bases-loaded, two-out bean-bag single off the lumber of initial sacker Hugh Waddle in the seventh panel that drove in two runs. Dale Barrow was also effective with the baton for the winners, stinging the sphere for three singles.

Chapman (L) and Tanner
Stewart (W) and W. Waddle 


This eight-team association of central Alberta entries had two teams from Red Deer, one stocked with junior-age players and the other with senior-level members.

Red Deer Eskimos
Red Deer Juniors



The South Peace Baseball League of a year previous was no more in 1962 as four of the members of the 1961 circuit – Donnelly, Falher, McLennan and Tangent – banded together in the formation of the Smoky River Baseball League. Conspicuous by their absence in the new loop were the Peace River Stampeders who were given the cold shoulder by members of last season’s South Peace League. The importation of players by the mighty Stampeders in previous campaigns was the rationale for exclusion from the new association of clubs.  Little was published regarding the inaugural season of the Smoky River League.

Donnelly Cubs


(August 26)  The Donnelly Cubs eased past McLennan 3 to 1 in the first game of the Smoky River League finals, a best-of-three series. The Cubs eliminated Tangent and McLennan ousted Falher in semi-final showdowns. Robert Chauvete was the winning pitcher in the opener of the finals.

Outlawed from the alliance of teams they had previously dominated, the powerful Stamps continued to play exhibition and tournament games as an independent club in 1962 with much success, running up a consecutive win streak of 23 games before tasting defeat in the latter-half of August. Although leagueless, the Peace River squad was granted a berth in the northern Alberta senior “A” baseball semi-finals against the Wheat Belt League champions.

(May 13)   A meeting in McLennan has resulted in the formation of a new baseball league -- the Smoky River loop.  Teams entered in the circuit are Falher, High Prairie, McClellan and Tangent.

(May 23)  Peace River Stampeders opened the 1962 season with a 12-3 exhibition win in Grande Prairie.  Joe Weremy and Pete Czuy worked on the hill while John Czuy belted a homer.

(May 27)  Stampeders took top prize in the Falher tournament taking a 3-2 win over Donnelly behind the pitching of Dave McPhillamy and Pete Czuy and a 10-1 victory over Tangent in the final as Czuy tossed a no-hitter.  Tangent scored their only marker on a walk and two errors. Lyle Tansem and Pete Lizotte each had three hits.  Tangent had dumped Falher 13-6 to reach the final round.  

(June 16)  Peace River Stampeders ran their unbeaten streak to 14 games with a 7-2 exhibition win over the Redwater Pontiacs.  Joe Weremy fanned 12 in gaining the win.

(June 17)  Pete Czuy held the Pontiacs to three hits and set down 14 via strike outs as the Stamps took a 5-0 decision.

In the 2nd game, Stamps won 9-8 on Len Folkman's bases-loaded single in the bottom of the final frame.

(July 1?)  Peace River captured the Fairview tournament defeating both leaders of the Peace River League which "outlawed" them this season.  Stamps downed the league-leading Grand Prairie Eskimos 9-6 in their first game, whipped Beaverlodge Royals 20-9, and trimmed Fairview Outlaws 12-4 in the final.  In other games, Tangent downed Sexsmith Rainers 9-8 and Beaverlodge downed Fort St. John Huskies 9-4.


From the onset of the opening game, the Fairview Outlaws and Grande Prairie Eskimos rose to the top of this six-team circuit and continued to duke it out in a see-saw battle for the 1962 Wheat Belt pennant, a race in which the Outlaws finally pulled away to capture the laurels. Come playoff time, however, Grande Prairie prevailed in a three-game series. After dropping the opener, the Eskimos whipped the favored Fairview aggregation 11 to 0 to deadlock the series and then won the rubber match 6 to 4 to advance to the northern Alberta senior “A” semi-finals.

Beaverlodge Royals
Dawson Creek Cardinals
Fairview Outlaws
Fort St. John Huskies
Grande Prairie Eskimos
Sexsmith Rainiers                                                           


Beverly Drakes
South Park Motors Pontiacs :          
St. Albert


Bow Island
Burdett :                                                         
Foremost Braves
Grassy Lake Panthers                                         
Medicine Hat Red Sox
Redcliff Red Sox


Burstall Braves
Fox Valley
Maple Creek Mohawks
Mendham Monarchs
Schuler Wheat Kings


Senior-level baseball in the southern part of Alberta was barely noticeable in 1962 while, in the northern half of the province, it was a thriving entity.

Calgary had a top-notch junior circuit but, like Medicine Hat and Lethbridge, no senior league or team existed although Lethbridge did put together a hastily-organized club in July, hoping to compete in the Lacombe tournament. Their application for the prestigious tourney, however, was rejected and they were left with only a few late-season exhibition tilts against intermediate competition on their agenda. Headed by Jocko Tarnava, who purchased the uniforms of the defunct Lethbridge White Sox, the team adopted the Pale Hose moniker and announced their intention of competing in the Alberta senior “A” playoffs. A number of the players on the roster were former members of the Lethbridge Miners of yesteryear. Being the lone entry from southern Alberta to register for the senior “A” title, they were declared as automatic winners.

In the central and northern parts of the Wildrose province, leagues flourished in Edmonton, Red Deer and the Peace River country bordering British Columbia. As well, tournaments featuring the best teams in the north were a regular occurrence.


Red Deer Eskimos (Rosebud League) vs Edmonton St. Josaphat’s Saints (Big Seven League) &
Peace River Stampeders (independent) vs Grande Prairie Eskimos (Wheat Belt League) 
best-of-three series

(August 12)  The hosting Red Deer Eskimos of the Rosebud Baseball League were outclassed by Edmonton’s St. Josaphat’s Saints of the Big Seven circuit as one leg of the northern Alberta senior “A” semi-finals got underway. With veteran Vern Callihan toeing the slab, the Saints captured the opening game 7 to 2. Callihan scattered eight hits, struck out eight and walked one in going the route. Losing twirler Jim Berlando toiled six stanzas on the knoll for the Esks before giving way to Garnet Boutet. The Red Deer duo combined for seven whiffs and four bases-on-balls while yielding ten safeties.  

(August 19)  The homestanding Grande Prairie Eskimos of the Wheat Belt League edged past the independent Peace River Stampeders 3 to 2 in the opener of their best-of-three series.

(August 19)  The Edmonton St. Josaphat’s Saints rolled out the heavy artillery and blasted their way to a convincing 10 to 4 victory over the Red Deer Eskimos at Renfrew Park to annex their northern Alberta senior division semi-finals series in two straight games. The Saints were never in trouble, grabbing an early 2 – 0 lead and building upon their margin throughout. The Esks scored once in the seventh and added three runs in the ninth. Vern Callihan went the distance on the hill for the Saints, yielding seven hits in earning the victory. John Edmundson took the loss.

(August 21)  The Grande Prairie Eskimos closed out their semi-final series in two-straight games, blanking the Peace River Stampeders 5 to 0 to advance to the northern Alberta finals against the Edmonton St. Josaphat’s Saints. Ray Stokke’s two-run homer in the opening canto set the tone for the game. Winning slabster Eldon Ray was at his best, silencing the Stamps on three hits. Mel Watchorn clubbed a solo homer in the seventh spasm for the Esks to close out the scoring.

NORTHERN FINALS  Edmonton St. Josaphat’s Saints vs Grande Prairie Eskimos  (best-of-three series)

(August 25)  A pair of hotly-contested tussles highlighted the northern Alberta senior “A” baseball finals which got underway in Grande Prairie. The visiting Edmonton St. Josaphat’s Saints squeezed out a 4 to 3 win over the hosting Eskimos in the opening game of the weekend series but dropped the equally-close second encounter by a narrow 10 to 9 margin.

(August 26)  The invading St. Josaphat’s Saints of Edmonton’s Big Seven Baseball League exploded for a 15 to 2 victory over the Grande Prairie Eskimos in the deciding game of the best-of-three series for the northern Alberta senior “A” baseball title. The Saints broke a 1 – 1 sixth-inning deadlock with five runs and pushed across seven more in the eighth to win walking away. Gary Chapman, who allowed only four hits, was the winning moundsman for the Edmontonians. St. Josaphat’s now advances to the provincial finals against Lethbridge White Sox, the southern senior champions.


(September 7)  The Edmonton St. Josaphat’s Saints of the Big Seven Baseball League were declared ABA provincial senior “A” champions in a move that caught virtually everyone by surprise. The southern represenative Lethbridge White Sox announced that due to the departure of several of their key players for professional hockey camps, they were conceding the final playoff series. As a result of the easy victory, the Saints picked up the Doherty trophy, won last season by the Edmonton City Police Athletics.



Brooks Buffaloes
Enchant Dynamos  
Medicine Hat Superiors
Taber Merchants :
Vauxhall Jets

SEMI-FINALS  Enchant Dynamos vs Medicine Hat Superiors & Vauxhall Jets vs Taber Merchants  (best-of-three series)

(August 12)  The pennant-winning Medicine Hat Superiors rode the  four-hit, 13-strikeout mound performance of Ken Holcomb to dump the Enchant Dynamos 6 to 1 and grab a one-game lead in one bracket of the Dry Belt Baseball League semi-finals. The Hatters gave Holcomb a substantial lead with three-spots in both the first and third stanzas. A leadoff circuit-clout by Elroy Schaufele got things off to a resounding start for the Superiors. Losing chucker Doug Gillespie gave up nine hits, fanned four and walked two in going the route. Besides his homer, Schaufele also rapped out a pair of singles.

(August 12)  Although outhit by a 13 to 12 margin, the Vauxhall Jets knocked off the Taber Merchants 16 to 9 in the opener of their semi-final playoff series. An eight-run second inning for the hometown Jets made things easier for them. Jim Dunsmore copped the pitching win while Taber starter Ross McKibbon was saddled with the loss.

(August 19)  The Enchant Dynamos fell by the Dry Belt League playoff wayside after absorbing a 19 to 7 thumping at the hands of the Medicine Hat Superiors. The pennant-winning Hatters owned the best-of-three series in straight games. Next on the agenda is a battle with the runner-up Vauxhall Jets for the overall league championship. The combatants were deadlocked at 6 – 6 after seven inning but the Superiors broke through with a four-spot in the eighth and then erased all doubt as to the victor by shoving nine counters across the pan in their final turn at bat with three of those coming on Chuck Moser’s four-ply clout. All told, the foes nailed the horsehide for 37 base knocks in the match with Medicine Hat picking up 23 of those bingles. Winning tosser “Zeke” Ziebart, hurling with a swollen pitching hand, struck out 11 in persevering over the nine-inning stretch. The Dynamos used three slabsters with starter Doug Gillespie taking the loss. Ron Anton, Bob Morrison and Larry Plante each had four hits for the winners with a pair of two-baggers included in Anton’s sum of swats and a double in Morrison’s total. Checking in with three safeties apiece were Elroy Schaufele, Ziebart and Moser. Shortpatcher Dick Wiest was tops with the baton for the vanquished nine, combing the offerings of Ziebart for three base raps.

(August 19)  Amid high winds which hampered play, the Vauxhall Jets moved into the Dry Belt Baseball League finals with a convincing 14 to 5 win over the Taber Merchants. The invading Jets put the game on ice by scoring five-spots in each of the third and fourth innings, then coasted the rest of the way behind the pitching of winner Darryl Daniels and reliever Neil Anderson. Merchants’ starter Ewen McKenzie was nicked with the loss. Vauxhall’s Ken Blaney was the top hitter in the contest, cracking out a double and three singles.

FINALS  Vauxhall Jets vs Medicine Hat Superiors  (best-of-three series)

(August 29)  Pages of Medicine Nat News missing with results of game 1 scheduled for this date.



Reduced to five teams and one division in 1962, the Big Six Baseball League sent two representatives into the southern Alberta intermediate “A” playoffs. Both the pennant-winning Lethbridge Niseis and runner-up Coaldale Imperials, who battled tooth-and-nail for the flag right down to the wire, qualified. 

Coaldale Imperials
Fort Macleod Chiefs                                                  
Lethbridge Niseis
Pincher Creek Jays                                             
Warner Elks

Medicine Hat Superiors vs Coaldale Imperials  (best-of-three series)

(July 29)  The Coaldale Imperials were awarded the opening game of the southern ABA intermediate “A” semi-finals when the Medicine Hat Superiors failed to show up at their home park in the Gas City.

(August 5)  A 13 to 10 home park victory over the favored Medicine Hat Superiors boosted the Coaldale Imperials to a two-game sweep of their semi-final series and a date with the Lethbridge Niseis in the southern intermediate “A” finals. The Imperials drove starter Ken Holcomb from the hill in less than an inning and finally emerged with the win as a result of a come-from-behind, ninth-inning rally to beat reliever “Zeke” Ziebart. A three-run dinger by Roger Terry sparked Coaldale’s opening-inning, four-run explosion against Holcomb. In turn, the Superiors chased Coaldale starter Jerry Stilson from the bump with a three-run uprising in the fifth frame to knot the count at 6 – 6. With Cam Powley toeing the rubber, the Imperials went into the top-of-the-final frame nursing a 10 – 8 lead but saw the margin reduced to just one run after Wilf Dietrich and Elroy Fisher both singled and Dietrich scored on another safety by Ron Anton. At this point, Ziebart belted a three-run tater to put the Hatters in front 12 – 10. However, come the bottom-of-the-ninth, the Superiors couldn’t hang onto the ball or the lead. Murray Mills led off the Coaldale comeback with a single, then a tailor-made double-play grounder was muffed and a one-bagger by Ken Melvin loaded the sacks. Medicine Hat’s lead vanished when Sam Asato stroked a two-run double and, a fly ball out and a walk later, Ziebart was facing fellow-reliever Cam Powley who promptly lashed the first offering into the right pasture to plate Melvin with the walkoff winner. Terry was the hotshot with the lumber for the Imperials, creaming the orb for a second round-tripper, a solo hot, and four RBI’s. Ziebart also smacked a second four-ply clout and also drove in four counters.

SOUTHERN ALBERTA INTERMEDIATE “A” FINALS  Coaldale Imperials vs Lethbridge Niseis  (best-of-three series)

(August 12)  The Lethbridge Niseis took a one-game lead in the best-of-three southern Alberta intermediate “A” baseball finals with a 14 to 9 victory over the shorthanded Coaldale Imperials. Nisei righthander Ken Hutton went the route, fanning 14, to earn the pitching win. Coaldale starter Pete Neufeldt, kayoed from the knoll in the opening canto after he failed to retire even one Lethbridge batter, was clipped with the loss. Harry Blacker had a grand-slam homer, a triple and two singles for the winners. In addition, he drew an intentional walk and was hit by a pitch. Teammate Wes Rice also connected for a four-ply clout as well as a single while Bob Babki, Hans Pung and Jim Kitaguchi all laced a brace of singles. Tom Asato drilled a three-run tater for the Imperials while teammates Roger Terry and Cam Powley connected for back-to-back solo dingers to open the ninth.

Hutton (W) and Pung
Neufeldt (L), Terry (1), Powley (4), Terry (4) and Melvin

(August 19)  The Lethbridge Niseis captured their second straight southern Alberta intermediate “A” baseball championship at Henderson Stadium with an 11 to 5 victory over the Coaldale Imperials that gave them a sweep of their series. Winning pitcher Merv Shankland had trouble in the early going but hung in there to complete the assignment, surrendering 11 Coaldale safeties along the way. Lethbridge racked up 15 base knocks off Imperials’ starter Cam Powley and third-inning reliever Pete Wiebe, the latter tosser being stung with the loss. Shankland helped himself at the plate by banging out a double at two singles while clubmates Harry Blacker and Wes Rice checked in with three singles each. Murray Mills was a stickout with the baton for the losing Coaldale squad, garnering a double and a brace of one-base hits.

Powley, Wiebe (L) (3) and T. Asato
Shankland (W) and Pung



This eight-team circuit of teams from Edmonton and vicinity sent representatives to both the intermediate “A” and intermediate “B” northern Alberta playoffs. The pennant-winning Amber Valley Safeway Seals were the Sunburst League’s standard bearer in the intermediate “A” division while the runner-up Beverly Crest Motor Inn squad took up the challenge in the intermediate “B” section.

Amber Valley Safeway Seals
Beverly Crest Motor Hotel
Coffee Cup Inn
Edmonton Natives
Mickey’s Bus Depot
Safety Supply
Union Clerks
Winterburn Tomahawks

Amber Valley Safeway Seals (Edmonton Sunburst Baseball League) vs Viking Shamrocks (Eastern Alberta Baseball League)

(August 21)  The Amber Valley Safeway Seals of the Edmonton Sunburst Baseball League turned back the defending Alberta intermediate “A” champion Viking Shamrocks 6 to 1 as the northern provincial intermediate “A” finals got underway. Viking had qualified for the series by eliminating the Kessler team. Led by the bat of Julius Owchar, who homered in the third inning, the Seals won handily as winning pitcher Dave Waddell pitched effectively in going the distance.

(August 26)  The Sunburst Baseball League’s Amber Valley Safeway Seals whipped the Viking Shamrocks 6 to 1 at Edmonton’s Borden Park to win the best-of-three northern Alberta intermediate “A” baseball crown in two straight games. The teams were tied 1 – 1 after 5-1/2 innings but the Seals pulled away with a five-run outburst in the bottom-of-the-sixth. Dave Waddle allowed but one hit over the route to pick up the pitching win for the Seals. “Lefty” McCarr was raked for 11 hits in taking the loss. Julius Owchar and Gene Dextrase led the victors offensively with three safeties each. The Safeway aggregation now advances to face the Lethbridge Niseis in a best-of-three series for the provincial title.

Leduc Oilers (Oilfield Baseball League) vs Beverly Crest Motor Hotel (Edmonton Sunburst Baseball League)  best-of-three series


The 1962 league-champion Warburg Buffaloes chose not to pursue provincial laurels which left the door open for the Leduc Oilers to do so.

Calmar Cubs
Conjuring Creek Wizards
Devon Legionnaires
Glen Park Aces
Leduc Oilers
Malhurst Elks

Breton Eagles
Drayton Valley Legionnaires
Genessee Gems
Thorsby Canucks
Warburg Buffaloes

(August 19)  The Beverly Crest Motor Inn of the Edmonton Sunburst Baseball League trounced the Leduc Oilers of the Oilfield Baseball League 17 to 7 in the first game of the northern Alberta intermediate “B” semi-final baseball playoffs. In a second contest, the Oilers stormed back for a 7 to 4 decision to deadlock the series.

The Beverly squad scored ten times in the sixth inning of the opener to erase a 7 – 3 Leduc margin. Over the route, they worked five Oiler hurlers for ten hits and 12 walks. Adolph Yanchuk won in relief with the setback being charged to Ron Riva. Ed Sharun and Peter Pich nailed three hits apiece for the winners. For the vanquished nine, Gene Wakaruk had three of their nine safeties while starting pitcher Dave Reiniger went yard with a tater.

Reiniger, kayoed from the knoll in the first inning of the curtain-raiser, came back to hurl a complete-game victory in the nightcap, allowing six hits including a triple to Pich. Mike Hay took the loss. Wakaruk and playing-manager Ron Hayter paced Leduc offensively with two hits apiece.

(August 26)  The Leduc Oilers hauled out their heavy artillery and when the battle was over, they had shot down the Beverly Crest Motor Hotel 6 to 2 to win their northern Alberta intermediate “B” baseball semi-final showdown, capturing the series two-games-to-one. The Oiltowners backed up winning chucker Dave Reiniger with a 12-hit attack including six doubles. Shortstop Gene Wakaruk, sensational on the field as well as at the plate, led the way with a three-for-four batting performance. Dennis Neiman, Rudy Sheen and Reiniger pounded two hits apiece. Reiniger limited the Beverly aggregation to four hits, walked two and fanned seven. The loss went to Ray Moran who whiffed eight and walked one. Leduc now moves on to tangle with Forestburg for both the northern championship and the provincial honors.

PROVINCIAL INTERMEDIATE “B” FINALS  Forestburg Braves vs Leduc Oilers

(September 2)  The Forestburg Braves scored twice in the bottom-of-the-final canto to defeat the visiting Leduc Oilers 6 to 5 in the opening game of the northern Alberta intermediate “B” baseball finals. With no team forthcoming to challenge from the southern half of the province, the series is also considered as the provincial final. Strong-armed Larry Noble persevered in going the route for the win despite being lit up for 14 Leduc hits including six doubles. Noble was tough in the clutch though, fanning 11 Oilers and leaving an equal number stranded on the basepaths. The hard-luck loss was pinned on Phil Hamula who was touched for seven safeties including two apiece by D. Wolbeck, who drove in the winning run, and Mel Renyk. Dennis Neiman went four-for-four for the losers while teammate Dave Reiniger rapped three hits including two doubles. Gene Wakaruk clouted a brace of two-baggers and Jack Fleck added two singles.

(September 9)  Righthander Dale Eikerman, a former semi-pro stalwart with the Edmonton Eskimos, showed he still has plenty of magic left when he pitched the Forestburg Braves to the northern Alberta and provincial intermediate “B” baseball titles. Using a blazing fastball as his gravy pitch, Eikerman blanked the Leduc Oilers 2 to 0 in the deciding game in the best-of-three set. The Oilers forced a showdown by grabbing a 2 to 1 decision earlier in the day. Leduc collected nine hits off Eikerman, who fanned five and didn’t allow a walk, but left eight baserunners stranded. Phil Hamula, in an iron man role, hurled both games for the Oilers, surrendering five hits in the curtain-raiser and eight in the finale. He fanned 13 over the route.

Doubles by Gene Wakaruk and Dave Reiniger in the sixth stanza drove in Leduc’s winning run in the opener. Control specialist Larry Noble took the loss with a five-hitter.

In the rubber match, Merley Litke doubled home A. Northey with the deciding marker in the fourth. Doug Lindstrand, who reached base on an error, plated the insurance marker in the fifth frame. Mel Rennick stroked three hits for Forestburg in the second tilt while Hamula and Reiniger paced the Oilers with two safeties each. 


PROVINCIAL INTERMEDIATE “A” FINALS  Amber Valley Safeway Seals (north) vs Lethbridge Niseis (south)  best-of-three series

(September 2)  The Lethbridge Niseis hit only four pitches out of the infield in eight innings of play but a four-run outburst in the bottom-of-the-ninth inning erased a 5 to 2 deficit and allowed them to escape with a 6 to 5 victory over the invading Amber Valley Safeway Seals of the Edmonton Sunburst League in the opening game of the Alberta intermediate “A” finals at Henderson Stadium.

Ken Hutton was the winner and Ken Olsen the loser, both in relief. Starting Nisei hurler Ev Nowlin fanned 12 and walked just one while spreading nine hits before turning the ball over to reliever Hutton in the ninth. Olsen’s biggest problem was finding the strike zone as he issued ten bases-on-balls while punching out eight and surrendering seven hits. An error and a walk put two runners on base in the ninth when Lethbridge’s Harry Blacker drilled a long triple to chase two runs across which narrowed the deficit to a singleton. Al Willis then clipped the horsehide for a two-bagger to plate Blacker and tie the score. With one out, pinch-hitter Wayne Winters lifted a fly ball to left field that was just deep enough to score Willis from third with a sacrifice fly. Blacker and Willis ripped a brace of bingles each for the victors while Mel Palm belted a triple and double for the visitors and teammate Larry Sigurdson cracked a pair of singles.

(September 9)  A last-inning single in the first game and a four-run barrage in the follow-up tilt gave the Safeway Seals of the Edmonton Sunburst League the provincial intermediate “A” baseball championship at Renfrew Park, dropping the Lethbridge Niseis 7 to 6 and 4 to 2.  Larry Sigurdson’s  single in the last-of-the-ninth with the bases loaded produced two runs to give the Amber Valley squad a narrow opening-game triumph and tie the series at one game each. Dave Waddle rang up 19 punchouts while yielding eight hits to annex the mound decision for the Seals.

Hutton (L) and Pung
Waddle (W) and Rainey

With the Sunday curfew in effect, the Seals scored all four of their markers in the opening canto of the finale on two Lethbridge errors and singles by Julius Owchar, his first of three safeties, and Art Rechio. Both teams had four hits. The Niseis, who lost a heartbreaking 11-inning deciding game to the Viking Shamrocks last year in the provincial finals, could only manage a pair of tallies in the fourth off winning chucker Ken Olsen and, once again, came up as bridesmaids. Ev Nowlin suffered the complete-game loss as clubmate Wes Rice registered three of his team’s four safeties.

Newlin (L) and Pung
Olsen (W) and Rainey