1964 Alberta Game Reports     


After a one year absence, senior amateur baseball returned to Edmonton and environs with the formation of the five-team Metro Baseball League.

Army & Navy Cardinals
Blue Willow Angels
Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox
Safeway Seals
Weiller-Williams Colts

(May 24)  The Blue Willow Angels and Weiller-Williams Colts opened the new Edmonton Metro Baseball League with victories. The Angels decisioned the Safeway Seals at Renfrew Park and the Colts bombed the hosting Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox.  Jim Bryant of the Cherubs, who came on in relief of starting heaver Sandy Neilson in the third episode, annexed the pitching win while Safeway’s Bill Mudie was nicked with the loss. Gerry Powlik starred for the winners at the plate. He connected for a homer and double as well as walking twice. Herb Sewers has a brace of safeties for the losers.

Paddy Gibson, Dale Barrow and Jimmy Bradshaw hit two-baggers for the Colts in their win at the Fort while winning chucker Roland Poulin helped his own cause with a pair of singles. Gord Labossiere was charged with the pitching defeat.

(May 26)  The Blue Willow Angels edged the Weiller-Williams Colts 3 to 2 in a ten-inning Metro League thriller at Renfrew Park. Pinch-hitter Ken Trann won the game with a looping single to the right pasture in the top-of-the-overtime round, plating Brian Gillard who had singled. Marty Babiuk, who replaced starter Sandy Neilson in the eight inning, gained credit for the mound win. LaVerne Holmes, who went the route for the Colts, took the loss. The Halos had a 6 to 3 advantage in base hits.

Neilson, Babiuk (W) (8) and Tanner, Erikson (10)
Holmes (L) and W. Waddle

(May 27)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox trounced the Safeway Seals 10 to 2 in Metro League action at Renfrew Park. The Scarlet Stockings registered 12 hits to six for the Seals. Merv Currie went the distance on the hill to register the win for the Sox while losing tosser Ron Babiuk of the Seals was derricked in the seventh stanza. Fred Kjemmer led the Forts offensively with three hits.

(May 29)  Gerry Powlik’s eighth-inning single drove in the winning run as the Blue Willow Angels edged the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox 5 to 4 at Renfrew Park. Each team collected seven hits but the Sox out-fumbled the Cherubs 4 to 2. A run-scoring triple by Mike Bellas, which tied the score, preceded Powlik’s winning bingle. Dave Dinwoodie copped the pitching win in relief of starter Jim Bryant. Losing flinger Dale Turner replaced the Fort’s Gord Labossiere in the fourth when Labossiere was ejected from the game for arguing.

(May 31)  A combination of 12 base hits and eight Safeway errors gave the Weiller-Williams Colts an 8 to 4 victory over the winless Seals at Renfrew Park. The Northsiders played errorless ball, enabling southpaw Wayne Wagner to go the distance for the win. Seal starter Fred Gorgichuk was tagged with the loss. Shortstop Pat Gibson led the Colts with a fine display of fielding, two singles, a walk and three stolen bases. Teammate Zane Kotyk also had a pair of one-baggers. Bill Chahley belted a two-run homer the the Grocers.

(May 31)  The homestanding Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox took a pair of games from the Army & Navy Cardinals in a Metropolitan League double-bill.  The Forts won the first game 9 to 8 after being down 8 to 1 in the sixth inning. Ken Taylor hit a two-run homer for the winners while teammate Wes Montgomery contributed two triples and a double. Gord Labossiere picked up the knoll victory in a relief role while Randy Salahub absorbed the loss.

The Crimson Hose took the second game 5 to 4 as Ken Pollard, with relief assistance from Leo Heit, notched the pitching win. Al Zylinski was nicked with the loss. Dale Turner homered for the Sox while Dave Saulnier, Rod Yaremko and Hugh Waddle all hit triples for the Cards.

(June 2)  The Blue Willow Angels remained undefeated in the Metropolitan Baseball League following a 10 to 3 triumph over the Army & Navy Cardinals at Renfrew Park. Angel hurler Marty Babiuk pitched hitless ball for the first 6-1/3 innings and finished with a two-hitter. A five-run outburst in the sixth stanza put the game on ice for the Cherubs. First baseman Francis Bridges drove in three counters during that explosion with a bases-loaded triple. Bridges then added a fourth tally when follow-up hitter Lyle Graham also nailed a three-bagger. Graham, in turn, came dashing home with the fifth counter of the spasm on a wild throw to second base. 

(June 3)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox gained a share of first place in the Metro baseball League by dumping the Weiller-Williams Colts 7 to 3 at Renfrew Park. Wayne Samis led the Sox at the plate with three singles while Ken Townsend stroked a brace of one-baggers for the Colts.

(June 5)  In a battle of winless foes, the Safeway Seals scored five runs in the first three innings and blew past the Army & Navy Cardinals 9 to 3. Winning heaver Bill Olson fanned 11 batters and gave up seven hits in going the route for the win. Losing twirler Bill Derechy pitched just three innings and was tagged for six of the 13 safeties garnered by the Seals.

(June 7)  The invading Safeway Seals split a doubleheader with the Red Sox at Fort Saskatchewan. Safeway took advantage of 15 hits and five Red Sox errors to run away with the first game 16 to 9. Fred Gorgichuk was the winner in relief, coming in for starter Bill Chahley in the fourth frame. Dale Turner, the second of three hurlers used by the Forts, was tagged as the loser. Herb Sewers of the Seals connected for a two-run dinger while teammates Roger Dejordy and Ken Taylor of the Forts smashed back-to-back taters with one runner being aboard for Dejordy’s clout. Keystone sacker Julie Owchar of the Safeway Squad ripped four base raps in five trips.

It took Fort Saskatchewan 11 innings to nose out the Seals in the late clash. George Stickle singled in the winning tally in the second overtime session to provide the Sox with the walkoff victory. Gord Labossiere, who took over for Merv Currie on the hillock in the fourth frame, nailed the pitching win at the expense of Bill Mudie who came on for Ron Babiuk in the fateful 11th. Dejordy continued his strong hitting, belting two more homers, both solo shots while Babiuk lined a bases-empty homer for the Seals.

(June 7)  The winless Army & Navy Cardinals suffered a heartbreaking 5 to 4 loss to the Weiller-Williams Colts at Renfrew Park, shoving them deeper into the Metro League cellar. The Cards took a 4 to 3 lead into the bottom-of-the-eighth episode only to give up a pair of gift runs, thanks to an errant throw by catcher Charlie Ward and a bonehead play by first baseman Hugh Waddle. Wayne Wagner was credited with the mound win while Bud Pyliuk suffered the tough loss. Mac Brown had three hits for the winners and Rich Antoniuk produced the same output for the losers.

(June 9)  The Blue Willow Angels won their fifth straight Metropolitan League game, downing the Weiller-Williams Colts 7 to 4 at Renfrew Park but protests by both the Northsiders and Blue Willow could affect the result. A third-inning home plate collision and succeeding donnybrook at the plate involving hot-tempered Mike Bellas of the Halos and Colts’ catcher Wally Waddle, precipitated the protest. The Cherubs came out on top in that inning, pouring four runs across the dish, including the ultimate winner. Starting Angel hurler Dave Dinwoodie got the win although he pitched only three innings before being lifted for pinch-hitter Francis Bridges, who singled to drive in the winning and insurance counters. Gaalen Erikson wielded the big bat for the winners, punching out four singles.

(June 10)  The Safeway Seals blanked the youthful Army & Navy Cardinals 9 to 0 at Renfrew Park as Seal hurler Bill Chahley gave up only three hits while fanning 18 batters in heaving the first seven frames before exiting for a mop-up reliever. The Safeway Squad banged out ten hits as Gene Dextrase connected for three singles while Chahley notched a double and single.  Al Zylinski suffered the hillock loss.

(June 14)  The Army & Navy Cardinals finally broke into the win column, bouncing the Weiller-Williams Colts 7 to 5 in a Metro League contest that was delayed twice by rain. The Cards took a 2 – 0 first-inning lead and were never headed. Randy Salahub escaped some late-inning peril to go the distance and record the knoll verdict. Starter Dave Barrow of the Colts was nicked with the loss. The W & W willow wielders outswatted the winners 11 to 9 as Pat Gibson swung the big bat, punching out three hits including a double.

(June 16)  The suddenly-sizzling Safeway Seals won their fourth in the past five games, edging the Weiller-William Colts 6 to 5 at Renfrew Park. The Seals snapped a 1 – 1 deadlock with a five-spot in the fourth spasm and weathered a Colt rally in the bottom-of-the-ninth panel for the victory. Herb Sewers produced the big blast of the explosive fourth for the winners, driving home two runs with a double. Bill Chahley went the distance on the bump for his second consecutive win, fanning 11 along the way. The Northsiders used four tossers with the loss going to Larry Murray.

(June 21)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox came out on top of the Weiller-William Colts  8 to 3 in the first game of a doubleheader at the Fort. Bob Hood went the distance for the win. Dave Waddle, kayoed from the knoll in the sixth, suffered the loss. The Colts captured the second joust 13 to 8 but the legitimacy of the win remains in doubt as it was discovered, after the fact, that the Sox actually had an 8 to 7 lead after the required number of frames and that, unnoticed to everyone including the umpires, the teams played one inning too many.

(June 22)  Behind a steady pitching effort by young Don Stewart, the Blue Willow Angels rolled to their sixth straight Metro League victory, nosing out the Safeway Seals  6 to 5 at the Renfrew ballyard. The Angels almost blew a three-run cushion in the ninth and, after the Grocers had scored a pair with nobody out to cut the deficit to a singleton, they failed to execute on a suicide squeeze attempt when Blue Willow catcher Ed Tanner called for a pitchout as base runner Herb Sewers was easily dead-on-arrival at the plate. That play broke the back of the last-ditch Seals’ rally. Stewart, touched for eight hits, did not surrender an earned run in the game and swung a mean bat as well, clipping the horsehide for three safeties. Clubmate Gaalen Erikson contributed a triad of base knocks as well, including a triple. The loss was charged to Safeway starter Ron Babiuk who was yanked in the seventh stanza. 

Stewart (W) and Tanner
R. Babiuk (L), Gorgichuk (7) and Hodgson

(June 23)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox fattened up their batting averages during a 9 to 0 whitewashing of the lowly Army & Navy Cardinals at Renfrew Park. Pitcher Dale Turner, just up from the junior ranks, fashioned his first Metro League victory with a six-hit shutout. He didn’t allow a hit until Dennis Michaelchuk singled up the middle in the fifth and was never in trouble, He fanned 12, walked just one batter and hit another. Pro puckster Roger Dejordy led the Sox assault with a double and two singles while Wes Montgomery checked in with a brace of bingles and three RBI’s.

Behind the scenes, the Forts were denied a seven-inning win on June 21 against the Weiller-Williams Colts in a game that inadvertently went eight frames as they were the home team in that contest and had control of the scoreboard and the official scorer.
Turner (W) and Jost, Kulka (7)
Fortin (L), Salahub (4) and Williamson, Ward (4) 

(June 28)  The Blue Willow Angels rolled to their seventh straight victory, kayoing the lowly Army & Navy Cardinals 3 to 0 behind Marty Babiuk’s one-hit pitching in a rain-abbreviated five-inning affair at Renfrew Park. Ivan Dawson took the loss.

(June 29)  The Weiller-Williams Colts surprised the front-running Blue Willow aggregation by handing the Angels a 7 to 4 setback, the first Metro League defeat inflicted upon the Cherubs. Newly-acquired catcher Terry Watchorn was the big cog in the Northsiders offensive attack, delivering run-scoring singles in both the second and third frames. Shortstop Jim Bradshaw also had a hot hand at the dish, creaming three bingles. LaVerne Holmes fanned seven and limited the Halos to six hits in taking the route-going win. Playing-manager Ed Tanner of the losers accounted for two of the blows Holmes surrendered, with a double and a bases-empty round-tripper.

Nielson (L), Bryant (2), Dinwoodie (2), Stewart (3), Welsh (7) and Erikson
Holmes (W) and Watchorn

(July 5)  After dropping their second in succession, a first-game 5 to 3 setback in the opener of a double-bill, the Blue Willow Angels got back on the winning streak by annexing a 3 to 1 nightcap triumph over the hosting Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox.

The Forts counted four runs off two circuit-clouts in the sixth inning of the lid-lifter to overcome a 3 – 1 deficit. Roddy Gauf ripped his shot out of the park with two runners aboard while George Kjenner followed with a solo tater.

(July 6)  The Blue Willow Angels loafed to an easy 7 to 2 win over the Army & Navy Cardinals in Metro Baseball League play. Marty Babiuk copped the pitching verdict over A & N’s Jack Patterson. Andy Skujins of the Halos swung the game’s loudest bat, punching out three singles.

(July 12)  Starting the game with just one reserve on the bench, the visiting Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox still managed to make nine defensive changes and pulled out a 9 to 5 win over the Weiller-Williams Colts at Renfrew Park. Starting hurler Merv Chupka lasted only until the third inning, tiring in the torrid heat, and was replaced by Merv Currie. Infielder Dale Turner finished the match on the hill for the winners. Loser LaVerne Holmes also survived just three frames before left-hander Wayne Wagner took over mound chores. George Kjenner proved to be the Red Sox’ ace in the hole, rifling three hits and driving in five runs. The Colts outhit the Forts 13 to 11 but could only manage one extra-base hit, a double by Wally Waddle.

(July 17)  Staked to a 10 – 0 lead before he even threw a pitch, seldom-used Wes Montgomery went the route on the knoll as the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox pounded the league-leading Blue Willow Angels 13 to 5 at Renfrew Park. The Cherubs went through four tossers in that opening-inning debacle with starter Gaalen Erikson getting nailed with the loss. Ed Welsh, the last of the quartet, got the side out and turned in a respectable performance the rest of the way. With the gift-wrapped package of tallies, Montgomery never found himself in too much troubled despite giving up 11 hits and walking seven batters. As well, he helped his cause by stroking three hits, a double and a single. George Kjenner matched Montgomery’s offensive output and Al Symington produced three RBI’s with a pair of singles. Erikson had a triple and a double for the Halos. 

(July 19)  After dropping the first game of a doubleheader 6 to 4 to the Safeway Seals, the homestanding Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox, with Merv Currie on the mound, went 15 innings and beat the Seals 9 to 5 to gain a split. Ken Taylor’s three-run homer in the eighth tied the game for the Sox and gave a determined Currie an opportunity to keep his team in the game until they finally pulled away for the win in the sixth session of bonus time. Fred Gorgichuk took the loss after relieving starter Bill Chahley in the 12th.

In the first game, the Seals jumped on loser Bob Hood for four runs in the sixth spasm to overcome a 4 – 2 Sox lead. Up until that point, Hood had given up just one hit.

(July 27)  The lowly Army & Navy Cardinals fell behind 2 – 0 in the first frame, pressed their rivals in the mid-going, then fumbled their way to an 11th defeat in 13 starts, losing 8 to 3 to the Weiller-Williams Colts. Wayne Wagner pitched a seven-hitter in going the route for the Colt victory. Losing heaver Marty Babiuk, recently acquired by the Cards from the Blue Willow Angels, and reliever Randy Salahub threw well, surrendering nine safeties between them, but drew little defensive support. Colts’ Jim Bradshaw and Bill Lupul each collected two hits as did A & N’s Dennis Michaelchuk.

(July 28)  The Safeway Seals handed the pace-setting Blue Willow Angels their second consecutive loss when they nosed out the Cherubs 4 to 3 at Renfrew Park. An inability to hit in the clutch was the downfall of the Blue Willow nine as they stranded 13 baserunners. Right-hander Bill Chahley went the distance on the hill for the Seals to record the win, surrendering eight safeties. Chahley also drove in Dennis Nault with a sixth-inning single that turned out to be the deciding run. Willow starter Don Stewart suffered the loss. Chahley and Bill Mudie had two hits each for the winners while Mike Bellas and Gaalen Erikson of the Halos replicated the production.

(July 30)  The tail-end Army & Navy Cardinals upset the Weller-Williams Colts 15 to 5 for only their third win in 15 tries. Marty Babiuk, recently obtained in a trade with the front-running Blue Willow Angels for Al Zylinski, led the offensive attack for the Redbirds, drilling four hits and driving in six runs. Babiuk, a twirler by trade, handled the first base chores in this contest and slammed an inside-the-park homer that brought in three runs. Knuckleball artist Randy Salahub held the Colts to four hits and went the distance to register the win. The Cards banged out 15 safeties off the slants of losing chucker LaVerne Holmes and reliever Roland Poulin.


EDMONTON SEMI-FINALS  Weiller-Williams Colts vs Blue Willow Angels & Safeway Seals vs Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox  (best-of-five series)

(August 4)  The Weiller-Williams Colts blanked the Blue Willow Angels 6 to 0 in the opening game of a best-of-five semi-final series to decide a an Edmonton competitor in the provincial senior playdowns. All the runs plated by the Northside Colts came in the first inning as they slammed losing twirler Don Stewart for seven hits before he was given the hook. LaVerne Holmes went the distance on the bump for W-W’s, surrendering six hits and fanning five Angel batters. Larry Murray led the 13-hit Colt attack with three singles. Teammates Wally Waddle, Al Craig and Dale Barrow each checked in with a brace of safeties as Waddle collected the game’s only extra-base blow, a double. Playing-manager Ed Tanner collected two hits for the Halos.

(August 6)  Following a split of the spoils in a playoff double-dip at Renfrew Park, the Blue River Angels find themselves of the brink of elimination from the Edmonton semi-finals. The Cherubs squared the series at a game apiece with a 7 to 0 whitewashing of the Weiller-Williams Colts in the opener but the Northsiders forged ahead again in the series by taking the nightcap 6 to 4.

In the curtain-raiser, Al Zylinski stifled the W-W’s on two hits and helped himself with the lumber by driving in a pair of counters with a double and single. Gaalen Erikson chipped in with three blows in a 12-hit onslaught against Wayne Wagner and Roland Poulin.

Zylinski (W) and Tanner
Wagner (L), Poulin (5) and W. Waddle

The Halos went through three chuckers in a vain attempt to stem the Colts in the late tussle. It was an all-Waddle battery for the victors, Dave Waddle who ascended the hill in the second spasm, and Wally Waddle behind the plate. The winning Waddle, Dave, along with clubmate Dale Barrow, had two safeties each.

Barrow, D. Waddle (W) (2) and W. Waddle
Dinwoodie (L), Bellas (5), Welsh (5) and Tanner

(August 7)  The Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox learned that close doesn’t count in baseball. The Forts, current runners-up in the Metropolitan Baseball League, were edged 3 to 2 and 5 to 4 at Renfrew Park by the third-place Safeway Seals in a provincial senior playoff twin-bill. Seals’ two-game lead puts them just one win from victory in the best-of-five series.

In the second game, Ken Olson held the hard-hitting Scarlet Stockings to seven hits with his blazing heater, going the distance on the knoll for the victory. Two Red Sox errors and a single by Dave Kostenuk plated the winning tally.

(August 10)  Right-hander Al Zylinski, paying dividends since his trade from the Army & Navy Cardinals, kept the Blue Willow Angels alive in their quest for a berth in the Edmonton senior finals when he hurled his second straight shutout at Renfrew Park as the Angels beat the Weiller-Williams Colts 2 to 0 to even their best-of-five semi-final series at two games apiece. Zylinski limited the Colts to just four hits, two of which were garnered by Al Craig. His mates secured him a pair of runs in the opening inning on singles by Doug Bienert, Gaalen Erikson and Arnie Enger, and that was all he needed. Doug Waddle, forming a brother battery with catcher Wally, also doled out only four safeties and was in a jam only in the fateful first frame.

Zylinski (W) and Tanner
D. Waddle (L) and W. Waddle

(August 10)  The upstart Safeway Seals bounced the Fort Saskatchewan Red Sox from the Edmonton senior playoff picture, knocking the Scarlet Stockings to the sidelines in three straight games with a 9 to 2 conquest behind Fred Gorgichuk’s twirling. Dave Littlechild figured prominently in the offensive charge displayed by the Seals, stroking four hits, all of which came during Safeway scoring outbursts. Gorgichuk and Russ Speers chipped in with two safeties apiece for the winners while losing flinger Merv Currie and Roger Dejordy both hit safely twice for the vanquished Sox.

Gorgichuk (W) and Hodgson, Mudie (6)
Currie (L), Turner (4) and Kulka

(August 11)  The Waddle Boys ran out of miracles at Renfrew Park and, as a result, it will be the Blue Willow Angels against the Safeway Seals in the Edmonton portion of the provincial finals. The Restaurateurs, who twice trailed the Weiller-Williams Colts in the semi-finals, came on the capture the rubber game 8 to 3. LaVerne Holmes and Dave Dinwoodie waged a scoreless duel for four frames but neither was around for the finish. The Angels got to Holmes for a three-spot in the fifth and a singleton in the sixth, so the hurry-up call was sent to the Colts’ bullpen for Dave Waddle. But, after going the route the previous evening, Waddle didn’t have his stuff and was sent to the showers in the eighth episode. Winning flinger Dinwoodie came to the end of the line in the eight after suffering a hand injury as Sandy Neilson came on to mop up. Mike Bellas led the Halos with three hits while Doug Bienert and Gaalen Erikson had two safeties apiece. One of Erikson’s swats was an inside-the-park homer in the eighth with two mates aboard. Infielder Jim Bradshaw of the W-W’s got to Angel pitching for three hits while catcher Wally Waddle stroked a pair.

Holmes (L), D. Waddle (6), Wagner (8) and W. Waddle
Dinwoodie (W), Neilson (8) and Tanner

EDMONTON FINALS  Safeway Seals vs Blue Willow Angels (best-of-five series)

(August 12)  An opening-game forfeiture and a second-contest blowout in a Renfrew Park playoff doubleheader left the series to determine an Edmonton representative in the provincial senior baseball finals deadlocked at one game each.  With the score tied 4 – 4, the Safeway Seals were awarded the first fracas after an extra-innings incident in which plate umpire Clint Murphy and Blue Willow Angels’ playing-manager Ed Tanner became involved in an argument after Tanner had been ruled out on the tail-end of a double play, arguing that the ball he had hit in front of the plate was foul. When the hot-tempered skipper threw a punch, the arbiter retaliated by swinging his face mask drawing blood from a gash in Tanner’s head. Unable to clear the diamond of players who had emptied their respective dugouts, Murphy declared the Seals as winners.

Tanner returned to play the wind-up tilt and led the Cherubs to a 9 to 3 romp over the Safeway Squad. The Cafemen cranked out 11 hits and took full advantage of five errors committed by the Grocers as well as a multitude of walks. Sandy Neilson copped the mound victory, coming on in relief of starter Al Zylinsky who retired in the fourth when the Seals bagged all their runs.

(August 14)  The Blue Willow Angels are the flag-bearers for Edmonton in the 1964 northern Alberta senior baseball finals but their clinching victory in the second portion of the two-game set at Renfrew Park was a much tighter fit than expected. In the first part of the double-dip, the Eatery Boys waltzed to an easy 9 to 1 triumph but, in the late tilt, they had to rally in their final turn at bat in order to annex a 7 to 4 win and eliminate the Safeway Squad.
Dave Dinwoodie had no trouble in stifling the Seals in the opener while his mates were busy battering the offerings of losing heaver Ken Olson for a dozen base blows.

Olson (L) and Hodgson
Dinwoodie (W) and Erikson

Dinwoodie had much less success while attempting the iron-man role in the finale but he failed to survive three innings and Al Zylinski had to bail him out of a four-run Safeway uprising in that stanza. The Seals had the Angels by their throats 4 to 2 as the teams headed into the last inning but an infield miscue opened the gates for the Halos. Even so, the Cherubs had scored only one run by the time there were two out in the top-of-the-frame. Then, on a full count, Don Stewart squeezed a bleeder through the middle off losing hurler Bill Chahley to drive in the tying and winning runs. After the side had been retired, the Restaurateurs promptly disposed of the Seals in their half of the canto and the tiara was theirs.

Dinwoodie, Zylinski (W) (4) and Erikson
Chahley (L) and Hodgson


(August 18)  Back in action after a two-week hiatus, the lowly Army & Navy Cardinals became mired even deeper in the Metro Baseball League cellar when they were dumped 13 to 10 by the Weiller-Williams Colts in a free-scoring skirmish at Renfrew Park. Both teams banged out 13 hits and each squad seemed intent on giving the game to the opposition. Jim Barrow and Dale Barrow of the Colts punched out three hits each as did the Redbirds’ duo of Dennis Michaelchuk and Charlie Ward.

Holmes (L), Murray (3), Kotyk (8) and Bradshaw
Salahub, Kachuk (W) (4) and Ward

(August 21)  The pennant-winning Blue Willow Angels scored an unearned run with two out in the top-of-the-ninth inning that stood up as the winner in a 2 to 1 conquest of the Safeway Seals. Losing chucker Harry Hodgson held the mighty Cherubs to just four hits but his mates committed six miscues behind him, the last of which cost him big time as it allowed Lyle Graham, who had tripled, to romp home from third base with the winning run.

Stewart, Zylinski (4), Neilson (W) (7) and Erikson
Hodgson (L) and Watchorn



Once again, Calgary and Lethbridge had no senior amateur teams/leagues leaving Medicine Hat as the lone major centre in the southern half of Alberta with senior representation as per their entry into the newly created Big Four Baseball League.


Formed in 1964, this four-team circuit encompassed the defending Alberta intermediate A” champion Drumheller Miners, the Hanna Cubs and two entries from southeastern Alberta’s bygone Dry Belt circuit, the Brooks Buffaloes and the Medicine Hat Royals.

Brooks Buffaloes
Drumheller Miners
Hanna Cubs
Medicine Hat Royals 

(May 31)  The Drumheller Miners and Brooks Buffaloes opened their portion of the Big Four Baseball League by splitting the spoils of a high-scoring double-dip. The Brooks squad came out on top 14 to 11 in the opening tilt while the Miners had everything go in their favor when they came back to capture the evening event 21 to 7.  Both team’s hit production matched their run output in the matinée match with the Buffs spanking the sphere for 14 safeties to 11 for Drumheller. Neil Anderson went all the way on the knoll for the Buffs while Ron Loughlin, who entered the fracas in relief of starter Tom LePan, was charged with the loss.

The wind-up joust was called after seven innings and saw the Miners collect 14 base knocks to 8 for Brooks. The winning heaver was Ron Brandenburg, who had relief help from Loughlin, while Chuck Charlton, the second of four Brooks’ tossers, was saddled with the loss. 

(May 31)  Fumbling their way through an opening-day two-game set, the Hanna Cubs dropped both ends of a Big Four League twin-bill to the hosting Medicine Hat Royals by scores of  13 to 3 and 9 to 6. The defensively-challenged Hanna pastimers were charged with six errors in the opener and seven in the nightcap, virtually sealing their doom.

Ken Holcomb went the route on the bump for the Blue Bloods in the lid-lifter, holding the Cubs to six hits while collecting 13 strikeouts. Infielders Jerry Stockburger and Chuck Moser both hit safely three times, including a double each, in five trips for the Hatters. Eliot Betty started on the knoll for Hanna and rang up 11 punchouts before the roof caved in and he got the hook in the eighth episode when the Gas City Gang put up an eight-spot.
The Royals put Hanna on the defensive right from the start of the second skirmish, jumping out to a 7 – 0 lead after three innings. Starting twirler Dennis Churchill, although driven to the showers in the in the sixth spasm, was the winner.

(June 7)  The hosting Hanna Cubs copped the second end of a doubleheader 6 to 2 from the Drumheller Miners after dropping the opener 12 to 5. Tom Lefly clouted a home run for the Cubs in support of winning flinger Eliot Betty in the twilight tilt while the Miners’ Ron Loughlin tucked away the knoll victory in the curtain-raiser.

(June 7)  Homestanding Brooks and the Medicine Hat Royals split their Big Four League twin-bill with the Hatters winning the opener 17 to 9 and the Buffaloes coming back in the evening encounter with a 12 to 9 victory.
The result of the opening clash was virtually a certainty after the visitors counted 11 big runs off losing flinger Neil Anderson in the first inning. Ken Holcomb, with seventh-inning relief aid from Tony Geisinger, was credited with the pitching win.

The twilight tussle was called in the eighth inning after the Royals had five of their members ejected and were unable to field a nine-player team. Chuck Moser of the vanquished nine had a two-run homer in the finale. Over the course of the double-dip, he collected six hits in eight times at bat.

(June 14)  The Brooks Buffaloes nipped the Medicine Hat Royals 2 to 1 in the first game of what was supposed to be a doubleheader. Only seven innings were played before a cloudburst literally flooded the diamond. All the scoring was done in the second inning with the winning run scoring when a throw form Royals’ catcher Bob Senger to the keystone sack was high, allowing Brooks’ base runner Mike Frey, who was streaking for home from third base, to beat the hurried relay throw to the plate. Neil Anderson, with eight strikeouts, copped the hurling decision over Ken Holcomb. The Hatters had a 7 to 3 edge in base hits in the abbreviated affair.

(June 17)  The Medicine Hat Royals dropped their third straight game to the Brooks Buffaloes, falling 11 to 4 to the visitors. Neil Anderson, the winning pitcher in all three encounters, allowed nine hits and whiffed seven in going the distance. The Buffs managed just seven hits off the slants of three chuckers used by the Hatters but were aided greatly by a number of errors chalked up by the hosts. Second baseman Billy Harstead punched out two of the Brooks safeties. Leading the slumping Gas City Gang at the dish was Terry Pederson who ripped a two-run double and a single.

(June 21)  Ken Holcomb tossed a three-hitter in leading the Medicine Hat Royals to a 7 to 1 conquest of the invading Brooks Buffaloes in the matinée portion of a Big Four League doubleheader. It took ten innings for the Royals to complete a sweep as they prevailed 7 to 6 in the late encounter.

All seven runs plated by the Gas City Gang in the afternoon tilt crossed the pan in the seventh inning, wiping out a 2 – 0 Brooks lead. Larry Plante led the nine-hit Medicine Hat batting attack with three safeties.

The Blue Bloods were forced to come up with a pair of runs in the ninth inning of the second game to tie the score at 6 – 6 and force extra-innings. Then, in the overtime session, Elroy Schaufele led off with a single and moved around to third base on a misdirected pickoff attempt by Buffaloes’ pitcher, and former teammate, “Zeke” Ziebart. One batter later, Bob Senger lofted a double to the left garden, driving in Schaufele with the walkoff winner. Dennis Churchill was credited with the heaving triumph.

(June 28)  After a three-week layoff, due to inclement weather conditions, the Drumheller Miners returned to Big Four League action. The Miners invaded Brooks and were defeated 8 to 1 in the opener of their double-dip but bounced back for a 5 to 4 extra-inning victory in the second game.  Jim Berlando was nicked with the pitching defeat in the in the first tussle.

Jerry Loughlin scored the tying run for Drumheller in the wind-up encounter, sending it into bonus time, and then drove in the winning tally in support of sibling Ron Loughlin who notched the heaving decision.

(June 28)  The Medicine Hat Royals stopped the hosting Hanna Cubs twice, by scores of 5 to 0 and 5 to 1.
Winning heaver Ken Holcomb was dominant in the opening skirmish, blanking the hustling Hanna nine on two hits and five walks while ringing up 15 punchouts. Greg Wilkinson had a brace of bingles for the victorious Hatters. Hanna’s Eliot Betty was saddled with the pitching setback.

Larry Plante had a two-run double and Chuck Moser a solo four-bagger for the Royals in the twilight tilt. Gordon Rump, with superlative relief support from strong-armed Dennis Churchill, was credited with the hurling verdict while Harry Fecho was nicked with the loss. Flychaser Norm Stemp of the Cubs punched out a pair of base raps.

(July 12)  Assimilating themselves with the torrid temperatures, the Medicine Hat Royals steamrolled their way to 15 to 5 and 15 to 4 victories over the outclassed Drumheller Miners.

In the seven-inning opener, the Royals pounded out 13 hits and scored in every inning of the game. Winning chucker Ken Holcomb helped himself with the lumber, knocking in three counters with two doubles and a single off Miner flinger Roger Pozzo. Bob Thomas and Chuck Moser added to the Medicine Hat barrage with a triple and single each. Tom LePan homered and singled for the Miners.

Winning heaver in the sunset skirmish was Tony Geisinger who earned the mound verdict with some fine clutch pitching. The Hatters had a slight 11 to 10 margin in hits with Chuck Moser claiming three of the bingles acquired by the victors. Drumheller’s Jim Berlando was clipped with the hurling defeat. LePan and Jack Daniels both nailed a double and single for the vanquished nine.

(July 19)  The Medicine Hat Royals clinched the 1964 Big Four Baseball League pennant with two very close victories over the hosting Drumheller Miners. In the opener, the Blue Bloods nosed out the Miners 4 to 3. The follow-up bout required two extra innings before the Gas City Gang came through with a 10 to 9 verdict. 

Ken Holcomb, the winning pitcher in the first game, struck out eight Miner batters and scattered nine hits. Losing chucker Jim Berlando whiffed seven and allowed just five hits but was plagued by a poor defensive performance from his clubmates. Jerry Daniels tripled and singled for the winners while fellow Hatter Jerry Stockburger slammed out two singles to bring home two runs.

In the evening encounter, Tony Geisinger not only pitched Medicine Hat to a come-from-behind victory but drove in batterymate Greg Wilkinson, who had doubled, with the winning counter in the top-of-the-second overtime session. His adversary on the bump, Allie Molyneux, suffered the setback. Jack Crockett nailed a score-tying double in the seventh for the victors and third sacker Jerry Stockburger went yard with a two-run dinger for the Royals in the sixth spasm. Berlando drilled a double and single for the Miners.

(July 26)  The Brooks Buffaloes split a pair of Big Four League contests with the travelling Medicine Hat Royals, winning 7 to 5 in the lid-lifter before succumbing to the hot weather and the Royals 5 to 1 in the concluding match.
In the first and most exciting game of the day, Brooks’ Neil Anderson took advantage of a five-run second-inning rally to pitch his way to a fourth consecutive conquest of the Gas City Gang. Anderson fanned seven Royal batters and scattered 11 hits to insure himself of a well-earned victory. Offensively for the Buffs, flychaser Mike Frey belted a two-run double off losing twirler Ken Holcomb. Catcher Bob Senger was the most antagonizing swatsmith Anderson faced, hammering out three singles that drove in three Medicine Hat runs.

Tony Geisinger improved his pitching record to 5 – 0 in the late tilt when he stymied the Buffs on five hits. The Blue Bloods notched 11 hits, including a solo tater by Jerry Daniels, off losing slabster Bill Beny. The rifle-arm of Brooks’ catcher Bob Laurie was on full display in this fixture as he cut down three would-be Gas City base thieves.

(July 26)  The Big Four Baseball League wound up its regular schedule with doubleheader action between Drumheller and visiting Hanna. The Miners rallied for three runs in the final stanza to squeeze by the Cubs 10 to 9 in the leadoff joust while Hanna built up a substantial lead in the concluding contest and held on to prevail 14 to 10. 
Jim Berlando was credited with the pitching win the initial encounter while the Cubs’ Tom Lefly was stung with the loss.

The Hanna win in the late tilt went to Ted Morris while Drumheller’s Ron Mathers was the losing chucker.

SEMI-FINALS  Hanna vs Medicine Hat & Drumheller vs Brooks  (best-of-five series)

(August 2)  Winds, dust and a hustling band of Hanna diamond pastimers pushed the Medicine Hat Royals into high-gear playoff mode in order to nip the homestanding Cubs 12 to 9 and 6 to 3 in the first two meetings of their semi-final series.

In the opener, “Zeke” Ziebart, back with the Hatters after a regular-season stint with the Brooks aggregation, came on to relieve starter Ed Bliele in the seventh spasm and was credited with the hurling triumph, allowing one run and one hit in his three innings on the knoll. The Baby Bears used three chuckers with Tony Kollman, the second of the trio, getting hit with the setback.

No game details of the second encounter were published.

(August 2)  Playing in the Dinosaur Valley City, the Drumheller Miners and the Brooks Buffaloes split the opening two games of their best-of-five semi-final series.

The Miners stopped the Buffs 7 to 0 behind the shutout pitching of Don Pasutto in the opener. Neil Anderson was nailed with the loss.

The second game saw Brooks erupt for six runs in the ninth inning to take a 12 to 6 verdict. Anderson, who came on in relief, snared the mound conquest while Jim Berlando, also in a fireman role, was nicked with the defeat. The game was highlighted by three home runs. For the Miners, Jack Samuels and Art Bertamini dialed long distance for taters while Bill Beny of the Buffaloes went yard with a dinger.

(August 9)  The Hanna Cubs defaulted the remainder of their semi-final playoff series to the Medicine Hat Royals.

(August 9)  The Brooks Buffaloes eliminated the Drumheller Miners, defending Alberta intermediate “A” title holders, rolling to an 8 to 2 verdict in the opening tilt of their two-game playoff set. Strong-armed Neil Anderson had a dozen punchouts in cruising to the win over Jim Berlando.

The Buffs were apparently awarded the finale, holding a healthy 8 to 1 lead in the third inning, when rain halted proceedings, as Drumheller management conceded the series rather than re-scheduling the abbreviated affair.

FINALS  Brooks vs Medicine Hat  (best-of-five series)

(August 16)  Hot weather, home runs and flashes of temper set the theme for the first two games of the Big Four finals at Brooks as the Buffaloes split a doubleheader with the Medicine Hat Royals. The Buffs won the opening tilt 6 to 5 behind the eight-hit pitching of Neil Anderson while the Hatters picked up the late afternoon verdict 9 to 8.
Anderson had a no-hitter in the books until the seventh inning of the opener. In the eighth with the score tied 1 – 1, the Buffs forged ahead on a three-run homer by John Charlton off Royal tosser Tony Geisinger. Facing a three-run deficit, the Blue Bloods refused to quit and came up with four big runs in the top-of-the-ninth canto, the big blow being a triple by Jack Crockett. In their final turn at bat, Brooks responded when pinch-hitter “Dusty” Rhodes singled and tied the match on Bill Stratton’s double. Stratton then scored the game-winning run when Charlie Pozzo singled into the right garden. The losing chucker in the clash was “Zeke” Ziebart, who came on in relief in the ninth.

Ziebart got some measure of revenge in the second tilt when he started on the hill and split mound duties with Ed Bliele in a winning effort. Buffaloes’ starter Roy Cleland, who exited in the eighth in favor of Anderson, was shelved with the loss. The Royals built up a substantial 8 to 1 lead after six frames, due in large part to a two-run homer by Bob Senger, a triple by Crockett that drove home three counters and a round-tripper by Jerry Stockburger. Ziebart began to weaken in the seventh as the hosts got to him for three tallies times on run-producing two-baggers by Stratton and Bill Holt. Bliele came on at that point and retired six straight Brooks batters. The Gas City Gang almost blew it in the ninth when four consecutive errors, a hit batter, two walks and a single gave the Buffs four more markers. Ziebart, who had gone to first base in the seventh-inning shuffle, returned to the bump and retired the side to end the near-comeback.

(August 23)  The Medicine Hat Royals had to scramble in both games but managed to come up with 3 to 1 and 8 to 7 victories over the invading Brooks Buffaloes to capture the 1964 Big Four Baseball League championship in four games. Along with the league tiara, the Royals garnered the southern Alberta senior championship and will now move on to face the northern representatives for the provincial crown.

Ken Holcomb pitched the Blue Bloods to the win in the opener and was ably assisted by outfielder Larry Plante who clipped the horsehide for three safeties, scored once and drove in two others. Plante’s opening-inning two-bagger drove in Jerry Stockburger with the first tally of the contest. The Buffs plated their lone counter in the second spasm when “Dusty” Rhodes, who had doubled, scored on a Medicine Hat throwing error. Plante connected for a single in the third to score Elroy Schaufele, who has reached base on a one-bagger. The insurance run came in the sixth when Elroy Fischer doubled to plate Plante. Neil Anderson, like Holcomb, went the distance and was tagged with the defeat.

The Hatters were forced to come up big in the bottom-of-the-ninth inning to cop the victory in the late afternoon bout. In this see-saw battle, the Buffs deadlocked the score at 7 – 7 in the top-half of the panel. A bases-loaded sacrifice fly off the bat of catcher Bob Senger allowed Jerry Daniels to slide home with the winning tally. “Zeke” Ziebart held the Buffs to six hits in recording the knoll decision while Anderson, in relief of starter Bill Beny, was saddled with his second setback of the day.


Even with the loss of the Crossfield and Red Deer Junior franchises, this central-Alberta circuit grew from seven to eight teams in 1964 as Lacombe, Bowden and the Bowden Institute were added to the mix. The loop did not register to enter a representative either the senior or intermediate provincial playdowns.

Bowden Institute
Carstairs Buffaloes
Innisfail Buckaroos
Lacombe Red Sox
Red Deer Eskimos

SEMI-FINALS  Carstairs vs Red Deer & Lacombe vs Innisfail  (best-of-three series)

(August 2)  The Red Deer Eskimos, defending Rosebud League champions, started off on the right foot in their best-of-three semi-final playoff series with fourth-place Carstairs, clipping the hosting Buffaloes 9 to 7. 

(August 9)  Rain forced postponement of the opening game of the Innisfail-Lacombe semi-final series.

(August 9)  Showing superior strength in every department, the Red Deer Eskimos walloped the Carstairs Buffaloes 10 to 4 at the Exhibition grounds to advance to the Rosebud League finals. Doug Marquardt survived three shaky innings and went the distance on the hill to gain the win, his second of the series. Marquardt gave up eight hits but six of them were bunched into the second, third and fourth innings when the visitors scored all their runs. Over the distance, he fanned 11 and walked three. Losing tosser Clark Woolpert was touched for ten hits while fanning three and issuing six free passes. Middle pasture patroller Doug Murray of the Esks walloped a triple and two singles to drive in four runs. Clubmate Doug Compton contributed a brace of two-baggers and a single while big Jim Oleson cranked out a four-ply clout and a one-bagger, good for two RBI’s. Marquardt had the most trouble with Carstairs’ shortstop Ken Tilley who whacked three straight singles and scored two runs.

Woolpert (L) and Clarke
Marquardt (W) and Bioletti

(August 16)  The Innisfail Buckaroos eliminated the Lacombe Red Sox in two straight games.

FINALS  Red Deer Eskimos vs Innisfail Buckaroos  (best-of-five series)

(August 23)  The opening game of the Rosebud Baseball League finals between the pennant-winning Innisfail Buckaroos and the runner-up Red Deer Eskimos was set back when rain washed out a scheduled doubleheader in Innisfail.

(September 13)  The Red Deer Eskimos moved two steps closer to becoming the Rosebud League champions when they defeated the hosting Innisfail Buckaroos 5 to 3 and 11 to 5. Red Deer’s Doug Marquardt won the duel of pitching aces over the Buckaroos’ Les Wiberg in a intensely-fought opener. Both slabsters went the distance with the Esks nicking Wiberg for five safeties while Innisfail collected just three hits off Marquardt. Owen Mailey and Dale Guame had two hits each for the winners.

Marquardt (W) and Bioletti
Wiberg (L) and Lalor

The closing clash had a great deal more offensive punch as Red Deer southpaw Ken Parno helped his winning mound cause by connecting for a round-tripper, one of 12 base knocks secured by the Eskimos. The Bucks clipped Parno’s offerings for eight hits as reliever Bill Moore, who ascended the hillock in the ninth panel for losing tosser Orla Nielson, also registered a solo dinger. A three-run fourth inning and a four-run eighth put the Esks into cruise control.

Parno (W) and Anderson
Nielson (L), Moore (9) and xxx

(September 20)  The Red Deer Eskimos won the 1964 Rosebud Baseball League playoff crown when they trampled the Innisfail Buckaroos 12 to 1 in the darkness-shortened second game of a twin-bill at Great Chief Park. Innisfail annexed the first encounter 5 to 2 to stay alive in the series.  Innisfail’s Les Wiberg was the five-hit, complete-game victor in the opening match, out-duelling Red Deer slab artist Doug Marquardt. Bill Moore of the Bucks and the Esks’ Ron Baryluk traded solo dingers in this tilt.

Wiberg (W) and Lalor
Marquardt (L), Soderquist (8) and xxx

In the late encounter, called after 6-1/2 innings because of darkness, the Eskimos’ finest hour came in the third chapter when they pushed seven counters across the pan, kayoing losing heaver Orla Nielson from the knoll. Despite the wide disparity in runs scored, each team had only four base raps in this bout. The Red Deer safeties were timely in nature as evidenced by crucial home runs off the lumber of Don Murray and Baryluk, his second of the day, as well as a critical three-run double by Doug Compton and a single by Ken Anderson with the sacks full. Loose fielding by the vanquished nine also was a major factor in their demise.

Neilson (L), Moore (3), Wiberg (4) and xxx
Parno (W) and xxx


Beaverlodge Royals
Dawson Creek Cardinals
Fairview Outlaws
Fort St. John Huskies
Grande Prairie Eskimos
Sexsmith Rainiers : 


Rising from the dead after two seasons in limbo, the North Peace Baseball League appeared on the scene with the demise of the Smoky Lake circuit. Only three entries emerged as participants in the 1964 revival.

Falher Leths *
Peace River Stampeders
Donnelly Cubs

* 1964 pennant winners


Beverly Crest Motor Hotel                                                          
Edmonton City Police Athletics                                     
Safeway Skylarks
Winterburn Tomahawks                                                  


(August 12)  The Beverly Crest Motor Hotel band of baseballers scored a 14 to 7 victory over the Winterburn Tomahawks at Kinsmen Park to capture the championship of the 1964 Sunburst Intermediate Baseball League after two consecutive wins in the best-of-three final series. They now advance to play the Calmar Cubs or the Warburg Buffaloes of the Oilfield Baseball League for the northern Alberta intermediate baseball title.


Breton Eagles                                
Calmar Cubs                                                            
Devon Legionnaires
Leduc Oilers
Thorsby Canucks
Warburg Buffaloes

Calmar and Warburg locked horns in the Oilfield League finals with the Warburg Buffaloes prevailing.       


Bow Island Combines
Coaldale Juniors
Foremost Braves
Irvine Mercuries
Medicine Hat Juniors
Redcliff Red Sox


Ogden Nomads


Great Bend


Calgary Angels



Viking Shamrocks vs Cold Lake Cardinals  (best-of-five series)

(August 12)  Viking eliminated Cold Lake, winning three of five game in the series

1964 NORTHERN ALBERTA SENIOR BASEBALL FINALS  Viking Shamrocks vs Edmonton Blue Willow Angels  (best-of-three series)


(August 16)  The Edmonton Blue River Angels walloped the visiting Viking Shamrocks 13 to 2 as the northern Alberta senior baseball finals got underway at Renfrew Park. Ed Welsh coasted to the complete-game mound victory by ably scattering nine hits, one of which was a solo home run in the eighth inning by the Shamrocks’ Art Cunningham who started the season with the Edmonton Oilers of the WCBL. Gaalen Erickson/Erikson and Gerry Powlik led the 12-hit Blue Willow attack with three safeties each while Welsh chipped in with a pair. The inept defensive play of the Viking nine, with eight errors chalked up against them, kept them consistently behind the eight-ball.

McNab (L), Brissard (2) and Dunbar
Welsh (W) and Tanner

(August 23)  Playing in Viking, the Edmonton Blue Willow Angels wrapped up the northern Alberta senior baseball championship by crushing the hometown Shamrocks 14 to 1 to cop the crown in straight games. The one-sided match was interrupted twice by rain.

1964 ALBERTA SENIOR BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES  Edmonton Blue Willow Angels (north) vs Medicine Hat Royals (south)  best-of-five series

(August 30)  The Medicine Hat Royals roared out of the gate in the Alberta senior baseball finals by posting 13 to 9 and 4 to 2 victories over the visiting Edmonton Blue Willow Angels at Athletic Park. The Royals gave winning flinger “Zeke” Ziebart a ten-run margin to work with after three innings of the opener but he had to hang on with sheer endurance to outlast four Blue Willow chuckers in the long, drawn-out contest. The Angels, after their shaky start, began to threaten in every inning but the peril never reached a critical state. Medicine Hat wound up with a 14 to 13 advantage in base hits.

In the second battle, winning heaver Ken Holcomb tamed the Cherubs on six hits while fanning six and walking one. A three-run seventh spasm, aided immensely by Blue Willow first baseman Ed Tanner’s inability to hold an infield throw, sent the Hatters to victory. Dave Dinwoodie, relieved on the bump in the eighth by Ed Welsh, was tagged with the defeat.

(September 6-7)  There will be two holders of the Alberta senior baseball championship for 1964. Rain Monday afternoon rendered Renfrew Park unplayable after half an inning of what was to have been the fifth and deciding game between the Blue Willow Angels of Edmonton and the Medicine Hat Royals. The Angels had evened the series at two games apiece with 8 to 6 and 5 to 2 victories on Sunday,

In the early Sunday scuffle, Al Zilinski/Zylinski took an 8 to 2 lead into the eighth inning after the Angels bombed Ken Holcomb for four runs in the last-of-the-seventh. Then, the Royals started pecking away, and Don Stewart was rushed to Zilinski/Zylinski’s relief in the ninth. Ed Tanner and Lyle Graham led the Cherubs’ 13-hit attack with three safeties apiece.

Dave Dinwoodie went the route for the Edmontonians in the late fracas, firing a five-hitter to even the series.



SOUTHERN ALBERTA FINALS  Delia vs Calgary Angels

(August 16)  The Calgary Angels took the lead in the provincial intermediate semi-finals, sweeping a doubleheader from Delia 21 –5 and 6 – 1 at Glenmore Park. Al Swinehart and Dave Powell pitched the victories for the Angels while teammate Munroe McPhee slammed six hits, three in each game.

(August 23)  A 16 – 7 thrashing of hosting Delia earned the Calgary Angels the southern Alberta intermediate baseball title. Wally Cross was the winning heaver for the Calgarians. He had plenty of batting support from Munroe McPhee, Ross Christie, Jim Poersch and Art James who each stung the sphere for three safeties. One of McPhee’s blows was a home run.


(August 16 and 23)  Nothing was found in print as to the winner of the northern Alberta best-of-three final series, scheduled for these dates, between the Beverly Crest Motor Hotel, champions of Edmonton’s Sunburst Intermediate Baseball League, and the winners of the Oilfield Baseball League, the Warburg Buffaloes.