1932 Game Reports Vancouver     

1932 Vancouver, Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley   
1932 BC Interior   
1932 Vancouver Island   


The same four clubs from 1931 returned to the fold for 1932, not only competing with each other but also participating in games against both the New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues, the results of which counted in the standings.

(April 25)  The Firemen took a free-hitting seven-inning opener 6 to 5 from the Arrows as rookie shortstop Eddie Holden delivered a decisive two-run double, his third hit of the contest, in the bottom of the final frame to drive in the tying and winning runs. Although badly out hit to that point, the Arrows entered the final canto clinging to a one-run cushion. Charlie Miron of the Fire Eaters and the Arrows’ Merrick Cranstoun both had home runs with Cranstoun’s being of the inside-the-park variety. Lorne Campbell and Nick Craig each had a double plus a brace of one-baggers for the winners.

Gray (L) and Barnes
L. Holden (W) and Henry

(April 27)  In spite of collecting only two hits off the slants of Norman “Tiny” Geoghegan, the Telephones were able to parlay that paltry sum into four counters as they doubled the Firemen 4 to 2. Winning tosser Don Weaver was stingy with the hits as well, yielding just five and he scattered them, including Charlie Miron’s bases-empty homer, most effectively.  

Geoghegan (L) and Henry
Weaver (W) and Kasmer 

(April 29)  Behind the five-hit pitching of Bill Richardson, the Arrows blanked V.A.C.  5 to 0. The Projectiles gathered two runs in the fourth on a two-bagger by catcher Roy Barnes and shoved three more across in the fifth. Outfielder “Lefty” Fairbairn socked a pair of triples for the winners.

Dailey (L) and Padovan, Ingram (6)
Richardson (W) and Barnes

(April 30)  Merrick Cranstoun’s smart club down third base which slipped through Stevenson’s hands sent Johnny Nestman home from the hot corner sack and broke up the first game of a double-bill at Athletic Park as the Arrows prevailed 3 to 2 over the Firemen. The second event, a dull and listless affair, had the V.A.C. nine, behind the hurling of Hal Straight, bumping the Telephones 10 to 5. Mound opponents Dave Scott and Frank Ray battled on even terms for most of the opening game with Scott being touched for five safeties and Ray six. “Lefty” Fairbairn had a two-run homer for the Cartage Crew.

Ray (L) and xxx
Scott (W) and xxx

The Vacs hammered losing flinger Hammond for six first-inning counters and coasted thereafter.

Hammond (L), Lewis (1) and xxx
Straight (W) and xxx 

(May 2)  Don Weaver set the Arrows down on three scattered singles as the Telephones licked the Bow Missiles 5 to 0. Weaver also poled out a three-bagger that started the avalanche of runs against losing flinger Ross Edy. Downie of the winners did yeoman’s work with the willow, smashing a double and a pair of one-baggers.

Weaver (W) and Kasmer
Edy (L) and Barnes

(May 4)  V.A.C. and the Firemen played to a 0 – 0 tie in a nine inning encounter that was terminated because of darkness. Hal Puder and “Lefty” Kaye both pitched superbly in allowing only goose eggs. Puder gave up just three hits and whiffed five while Kaye was touched for five bingles while ringing up ten strikeouts. Third sacker Art Morse of the Red Caps was the only player with a multi-hit output at the dish, singling on three occasions.  

Puder and Padovan
Kaye and Henry

(May 6)  The Vacs pounded losing southpaw Don Weaver’s offerings for 15 safeties in pummelling the Telephones 8 to 2. Big Joe Dailey, starting and victorious heaver for the Red Caps, was nicked for three hits in the six innings he toiled on the hillock. Playing-manager Coley Hall ripped a double and three singles for the winners while outfielder Jack Cole singled three times.

Dailey(W), Stong (7) and Padovan
Weaver (L) and Kasmer

(May 7)  The Bellingham Tissues were blanked 4 to 0 by the Firemen in their first appearance in Vancouver this season. The seven-inning tussle, which opened doubleheader action at Athletic Park, saw winning pitcher Larry Holden have things well in hand, surrendering only two hits.

Ford (L), Bloomenberg (5) and xxx
L. Holden (W) and xxx

In the late game, the Arrows made use of Coley Hall’s glaring last-inning bobbles to score four times and squeeze past V.A.C. 4 to 3.

Straight (L) and xxx
Richardson (W) and xxx 

(May 8)  Bryan Lewis, backed up by some smart fielding and timely swatting, nosed out a win over his brother Earl Lewis when the Telephones of Vancouver bit the dust 1 to 0 to the Bellingham Tissues in the Tulip Town. A fifth-inning single by second baseman Swift drove in Ted Clarke, who had doubled, with the contest’s lone run.

E. Lewis (L) and Kasmer
B. Lewis (W) and Atterbury

(May 10)  Don Weaver had his curve ball working to perfection while his teammates were in fine fettle with the hickory as the Telephones blanked the Firemen 4 to 0. Weaver rang up ten strikeouts while issuing just two hits in going the distance. Catcher Johnny Kasmer doubled and singled for the Phones while teammates Ralph Spicer and Jack Cameron each had a brace of one-baggers.

Weaver (W) and Kasmer
Sikora (L), O’Leary (7) and Henry

(May 10)  Fraser Cafe of New Westminster grabbed a narrow 3 to 2 decision from the Vancouver Arrows in action at Queens Park. Outfielder Rod Cameron’s two-run double in the seventh frame plated the tying and winning runs for the Royal City nine.

Gray (L) and Barnes
Quinn (W) and Senuty

(May 11) Vancouver Athletic Club baseballers went to the head of the Senior City circuit and the Firemen were firmly settled in the cellar following the Red Caps 9 to 3 triumph over the Hosemen. Shortstop Jack Sherman picked up a three-bagger and single for the winners.

Puder (W), Stong (8) and Padovan, Ingram
Geoghegan (L), Ray (4) and Henry, Goodall

(May 13)  Two blind battery miscues cost the Telephones a 1 to 0 win at Athletic Park. Scoring the tying run in the top of the ninth frame on catcher Downie’s errant return throw to pitcher Don Weaver, the Arrows then went on to plate a tenth-inning counter when, still noticeably upset with the proceedings of the previous canto, Weaver wild-pitched the winning tally across as the Phones blew a 2 to 1 decision to the Transfermen. Hits were scarce with the Bow Missiles acquiring five to three for the Wrong Numbers. Pete Staggs of the victorious nine topped all swatters with a double and a brace of one-baggers.

Scott (W) and Barnes
Weaver (L) and Downie 

(May 14)  Fraser Cafe of New Westminster lost another game when the V.A.C. nine tamed them 4 to 2 at Athletic Park. Both teams registered seven hits. The Red Caps plated all four of their counters in the bottom of the initial canto and led all the way. Hot corner guardian Art Morse of the Vacs and losing chucker Doug Muscutt both stroked a double plus a one-bagger for their respective teams.

Muscutt (L) and Senuty
Dailey (W) and Padovan

(May 16)  The Telephones pounced on the offerings of young Ralph Stong for 13 base blows to easily capture a 13 to 4 win over the Vancouver Athletic Club nine. The game was ragged and one-sided throughout with nine errors being committed. Shortstop Jack Cameron slapped out a triad of one-baggers for the Phones while teammate Ralph Spicer blasted a home run.

Lewis (W), Hammond (7) and Spicer
Stong (L) and Padovan, Ingram

(May 18)  In a pair of short encounters under the floodlights, the Firemen nosed out V.A.C. 1 to 0 in the curtain-raiser while the Telephones prevailed by an identical 1 to 0 count over the Arrows in the finale. Hal Straight was the hard-luck loser in the opening tilt. Although touched for just three hits, his base-on-balls in the opening canto forced in the game’s lone run after errors by his infield had helped to fill the sacks.

L. Holden (W) and Henry
Straight (L) and Padovan

Don Stewart’s fourth-inning single drove in Ralph Spicer, who had doubled, with the only counter that the Phones would need in the late game.

Richardson (L) and Barnes
Weaver (W) and Spicer

(May 20)  V.A.C. moved to the front of the Senior City League when they turned back the Telephones 4 to 3 under the lights at Athletic Park. Winning heaver Hal Puder rang up 15 strikeouts in tossing a sparkling six-hit performance. In spite of Puder’s great mound outing, the Vacs came mighty close to letting the game slip away in a wild ninth-inning rampage by the Hello Boys. The Phones rallied for a pair of counters and had runners at the corners with two out when pinch-hitter Buddy Townsend grounded out to end the game. Shortstop Jackie Sherman of the Red Caps banged out two singles and a double to carry off the batting honours for the contest.

Puder (W) and Padovan
Esplen (L), Hammond (9) and Spicer

(May 20)  The New Westminster Fraser Cafe nine came to life at Queen’s Park and blanked the Firemen 3 to 0. The Cafemen scored all three of their runs in the third canto, driving losing flinger “Lefty” Kaye to the showers. Winning heaver “Scotty” Lee made his first mound appearance of the season and had things well in hand with the six-hit whitewashing. Catcher Ed Henry of the Smoke Squelchers was the chief sticker of the evening with three bingles including a two-bagger.

Kaye (L), Ray (3) and Henry
Lee (W) and Senuty

(May 21)  The Firemen wilted in the late innings and dropped a 3 to 2 decision to the Telephones in the opener of a double-bill at Athletic Park. Pete Staggs supplied the majority of thrills in the second game, belting a brace of two-run triples for four counters as the Arrow Transfermen grabbed a 6 to 3 win over the Bellingham Tissues. Bruce Thirsk, now with the Telephones after stints with the Vacs and Fraser Cafe, had the hit that helped break up the first ball game.

O’Leary (L) and xxx
Weaver (W) and xxx

The Bow Missiles bagged 12 hits in subduing the Washingtonians. Ross Edy fanned eight in fashioning a six-hitter for the mound win. Shortstop Walter Bliss of the Tulip Towners had an inside-the-park homer and a double. 

B. Lewis, Ford (7) and B. Staggs
Edy (W) and Barnes

(May 23)  The University of Washington Huskies outclassed the Telephones 14 to 6 in the first of three exhibition matches scheduled against Vancouver Senior City League opposition.

(May 24)  Showing superior power with their war clubs and fielding in sensational fashion, the varsity nine from the University of Washington defeated the Firemen 6 to 2 and followed that up by turning back the Arrows 8 to 7 in twin-bill action to sweep all three exhibition encounters with the Senior City Leaguers.

(May 25)  Pete Stagg’s grand-slam home run in the seventh-inning was the deciding factor as the Arrows went on to defeat V.A.C. 8 to 3. With the scored tied 2 – 2 at the time, Staggs launched a pitch from reliever Hal Puder high over the right field wall to send the Transfermen into a 6 to 2 lead. Bill Richardson whiffed ten and yielded seven safeties in taking the mound decision. Bart Bean of the Red Caps poled a double and a pair of singles.

Straight (L), Puder (7) and Padovan
Richardson (W) and Barnes

Standings *      W       L        Pct.
Arrows           6       4       .600
Telephones       6       5       .545
V.A.C.           6       5       .545
Firemen          3       6       .333

* includes games against New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues

(May 27)  Merrick Cranstoun’s ninth-inning smash through second, his second hit of the contest, drove in the winner as the Arrows edged the Telephones 7 to 6 in a walkoff thriller. Pete Staggs had led off the frame with a single and was ably sacrificed to the keystone sack by Arne Miller before Cranstoun’s game-winning hit. Ross Edy got the hillock triumph with two cantos of scoreless relief. The Phones held a 10 to 8 advantage in base hits as Earl Lewis topped the hit parade with a home run and double.

Weaver (L) and Spicer
Gray, Edy (W) (8) and Adshead, Barnes

(May 27)  Joe Dailey hurled the Vacs to a 5 to 1 win over the hosting Fraser Cafe nine of New Westminster. Dailey showed steadiness on the rubber, yielding six hits and fanning five in a route-going performance. He also picked up three of the 11-hit V.A.C. total.

Dailey (W) and Padovan
Quinn (L) and Senuty

(May 28)  The Firemen edged past V.A.C. 6 to 5 in the opener of a twin-bill while the late encounter went 15 innings before Fraser Cafe of New Westminster prevailed 11 to 7 over the Telephones. The Flame Fighters plated what turned out to be the winning counter in the top of the eighth panel of the matinee tussle. Coley Hall of the Red Caps led all hitters with a home run and single.

Ray, Kaye (W) (4) and Henry
Puder (L) and Padovan, Ingram

“Scotty” Lee pitched all fifteen innings for New Westminster in the second tilt. A bunt down the first base line fielded by losing chucker Earl Lewis which was ruled fair allowed two runners to score while Lewis argued the decision in the top of the sixth round of overtime. Eddie Olson later singled to drive in two more counters and put the game on ice. “Scotty” Knox had five hits for the Cafemen. Don Stewart had a home run and triple for the Wrong Numbers.

Lee (W) and Senuty
Hammond, Esplen (10), Lewis (L) (13) and Spicer, Kasmer

(May 29)  Scoring a pair in their last turn at bat, the Arrows still fell short and were defeated 3 to 2 by the hosting Bellingham Tissues. Outfielder Francisco doubled to drive in the first two Bellingham runs in the second frame and scored the third counter in the seventh after hitting his second two-bagger.

Richardson (L) and xxx
Ford (W) and xxx

(May 30)  Portsider Hal Straight set the Arrows down on three hits and fanned ten in hurling the Vancouver Athletic Club baseballers to a 7 to 2 triumph over the Cartage Crew. The Red Caps were in control after plating a trio of tallies in the third canto. Jackie Sherman and Frank Hall both had two of the eight hits manufactured by the Vacs. Ross Edy doubled and singled for the Bow Missiles.

Gray (L) and Barnes
Straight (W) and Ingram

(June 1)  The Telephones took a 7 to 3 decision from the Firemen before a packed grandstand at Athletic Park. The Phones out hit the Fire Squelchers 11 to 10. Ralph Spicer and Earl Lewis both cracked a triple and a single for the victors while outfielder Bobby Robertson doubled and singled for the Hosemen.

Esplen (W) and Spicer
Kaye (L), O’Leary (9) and Henry

(June 3)  Eddie Olson’s pinch-hit single in the bottom of the eighth frame drove in Doug Fraser to salvage a 1 – 1 for Fraser Cafe of New Westminster in their game with the visiting Telephones. The game was called after the eighth cantos because of darkness. Wes Gemmell, wild in spots, tossed a three-hitter for the New Westminster nine. Fraser was the only player on either squad to manage two hits.

Hammond and Kasmer, Spicer
Gemmell and Senuty

(June 3) Relief chucker Hal Straight plunked the only two batters to face him in the tenth frame, forcing in the winning marker as the Arrows subdued V.A.C. 6 to 5. The Bow Missiles had to make a last-ditch rally in the bottom of the ninth just to force overtime. The Transfermen held a healthy 14 to 9 margin in base hits with Jack Cranstoun leading the way with four raps including a pair of two-baggers. Pete Staggs and Billy Adshead were next in line with a triad of knocks apiece, a triple part of Staggs’ sum and a two-bagger included in Adshead’s total. Coley Hall of the Red Caps spanked the horsehide for three safeties including a home run.

Dailey (L), Straight (10) and Ingram
Edy (W) and Adshead

(June 4)  The Telephones tallied four times in the bottom of the ninth inning to capture an exciting 5 to 4 victory over the Bellingham Tissues in the afternoon portion of a double-dip. The evening event was a heavy-hitting affair in which the Firemen emerged as 11 to 8 winners over the Vacs. The Tulip Towners were unable to retire a single batter in the last frame as the Phones rallied and jumped all over losing flinger Bill Ford to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Outfielder Shannon of the Tissues and Phones’ third sacker Jack Cameron led their respective nines with two hits apiece.

Ford (L) and Staggs
Lewis (W) and Kasmer

The Hose & Ladder gang was never in arrears while pummelling three V.A.C. tossers for 18 hits in the finale. Ed Henry, Charlie Miron and Eddie Holden of the Flame Quenchers as well as Jimmy McKissock of the Red Caps all three safeties with Miron and McKissock’s totals including a double.

L. Holden (W) and Henry
Puder (L), Straight (4), Stong (9) and Padovan

(June 6)  With a six-run deficit staring them in the face as they came to bat in the eighth inning, the Firemen found the magic necessary to manufacture four runs in that frame and three more in the ninth to pull off an amazing 7 to 6 comeback victory over the Arrows. A pair of hits by Nick Craig drove in four of the late-inning counters for the Hosemen while Larry Holden’s triple brought home the winner.

Scott, Richardson (L) (8) and xxx
xxx (W) and xxx

Standings *       W      L       Pct.
Telephones        8      7      .533
V.A.C.            9      8      .529
Arrows            8      8      .500
Firemen           6      7      .462

* includes games against New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues

(June 8)  Before the largest crowd of the season, the Firemen jumped on Doug Muscutt’s offerings for four first-inning tallies en route to a 6 to 2 triumph over the Fraser Cafe diamondeers. Charlie Miron raked the New Westminster right-hander for three hits during the course of the game, two of which were doubles. Winning pitcher “Lefty” Kaye also picked up a triad of safeties, all singles.

Muscutt (L) and Senuty
Kaye (W) and Henry 

(June 10)  The Telephones led all the way as they doubled V.A.C. 4 to 2 at the Athletic ball yard. Outfielder Don Stewart, with a triple and one-bagger, and first baseman Abe Cross, with a two-base blow and a single, were the top swatters for the Phones. Outfielder Jack Cole had three of the Vacs six hits, one of which was a two-bagger.

Puder (L) and Padovan
Weaver (W) and Kasmer

(June 10)  Playing at Queen’s Park in New Westminster, the Arrows outlasted the Fraser Cafe aggregation 12 to 10 in a slugfest. No less than nine extra-base blows were recorded in the tussle. The hosting Royal City clan registered 16 of the 26 base hits banged out with outfielder Rod Cameron and catcher Seruty responsible for three apiece. Included in Cameron’s productive game at the dish were two doubles while Pete Senuty had one. Every player in the lineup for the Transfermen had at least one base knock.

Richardson (W) and Barnes
Gemmell (L), Dodd (2) and Senuty

(June 11)  Before an overflow audience, the Firemen battered the Telephones 12 to 3 and the Arrows walloped V.A.C. 19 to 3 in doubleheader action at Athletic Park. The first of two one-sided contests saw the Hose & Ladder Gang amass a total of 17 base blows as Jimmy Watters of the winners connected for four solid raps including a pair of doubles. Teammate Charlie Miron was also prominent with the hickory, lashing out a home run, a two-bagger and a single.

L. Holden (W) and Henry
Hammond (L), Lewis (7) and Spicer

In the Vacs’ unmerciful beating, catcher Billy Adshead of the Arrows rapped out four safeties and outfielder “Lefty” Fairbairn three. Bart Bean homered and singled for the Red Caps.

Gray (W) and Adshead
Straight (L), Stong (5), Dailey (7) and Padovan

(June 12)  The V.A.C. baseballers defeated the Bellingham Tissues 3 to 2 at Batersby Park in the Tulip Town. There was little to choose between the efforts of winning tosser Joe Dailey and vanquished chucker Bill Ford but it was Dailey who started the ninth-inning offensive thrust that generated the winning run. After Dailey singled and went to second on a fielder’s choice, Jack Sherman’s one-bagger to right field drove him in with the tie-breaker.

Dailey (W) and xxx
Ford (L) and xxx

(June 13)  The Telephones socked the offerings of Ross Edy for ten safe hits, three of them extra-base clouts, in knocking off the Arrows 8 to 3. Infielder Jack Cameron launched a towering four-bagger for the Phones in the ninth stanza while Pete Staggs of the Cartage Crew smashed the horsehide over the same wall in the bottom half of the same frame. Winning tosser Don Weaver had the distinction of drilling a two-run single after Edy had intentionally walked infielder Bruce Thirsk to get to him.

Weaver (W) and Spicer
Edy (L) and Barnes

(June 15)  Scoring three times in their initial turn at bat, the V.A.C. baseballers shut down the Firemen 6 to 4. Outfielder Jack Cole paced the Red Cap hitters with a double and two singles.

Straight (W) and Padovan
Ray (L), Kaye (1) and Henry

(June 17)  Pitching himself out of a half-dozen danger spots, Bill Ford picked up a complete-game hillock triumph as the Bellingham Tissues got past the V.A.C. aggregation 5 to 2. Both Ford and losing chucker Hal Puder were nicked for seven safeties but Ford had the edge in manoeuvring himself out of tight situations. Catcher Boyd Staggs and outfielder Francisco of the Tissues were the only two swatters to garner a brace of safeties in this contest.

Ford (W) and Staggs
Puder (L) and Padovan

(June 18)  A pair of shutout games highlighted doubleheader action at Athletic Park. The Arrows and Telephones kept pace with each other atop the Senior City circuit when the Projectiles slipped by the Vacs 1 to 0 in the curtain-raiser while the Phones followed up with a 6 to 0 whitewashing of the Firemen in the late joust. The early game was decided in the opening stanza when the Transfermen pushed across the game’s lone counter on two singles and an error. After that, goose eggs prevailed. Second baseman Charlie Stevenson of the Bow Missiles as well as Jimmy McKissock and Joe Dailey of V.A.C. each stroked two base hits.

Dailey (L) and Padovan
Richardson (W) and Adshead

Timely hitting by Bruce Thirsk, his double and single coming with runners on base, helped to give winning flinger Don Weaver all the run support he would need in breezing to the mound victory in the late encounter.

Weaver (W) and Spicer
L. Holden (L), Ray (3) and Henry

(June 22)  Dave Gray and Pete Staggs proved to be an unbeatable combination for the Arrows against the Firemen. Gray shutout the Flame Squelchers 4 to 0 on a six-hitter while Staggs plated three of the four runs garnered by the Projectiles with a homer and double. The Cartage Crew collected 11 safeties off loser Larry Holden’s slants with Charlie Stevenson and Johnny Nestman joining Staggs as two-hit producers. 

Gray (W) and Barnes
L. Holden (L) and Henry

(June 23)  The galloping Telephones moved past the Arrows into top spot in the City Senior League when they defeated the Transfermen 5 to 3. The Cartage Crew, although out hitting the winners by a 9 to 6 margin, got off to a bad start as defensive support for losing heaver Ross Edy was wobbly. Pete Staggs of the Projectiles was the game’s best clouter, slamming a homer, triple and single.

Edy (L), Richardson (3) and Barnes
Weaver (W) and Spicer

(June 24)  It took virtually the entire V.A.C. pitching staff to finally subdue the Fraser Cafe nine of New Westminster 5 to 4 at Athletic Park. The Cafemen came within a whisker of knotting the count in the final frame of the fracas which necessitated the mound changes. Hal Straight earned the win, toiling for 8 1/3 frames on the rubber. He surrendered six safeties and fanned an equal number of batters. Jack Cole, Coley Hall and Art Morse each picked up two singles for the Red Caps.

Lee, Dodd (L) (2) and Senuty
Straight (W), Puder (9), Dailey (9) and Padovan

(June 25)  The Telephones disposed of the Vacs 5 to 2 in the early tussle while the Arrows walloped the Firemen 9 to 0 in the late encounter of a twin-bill at Athletic Park. Veteran chucker “Babe” Esplen not only earned the mound triumph in the matinee game for the Phones but he also contributed a couple of base hits which drove in runs. His batterymate, Ralph Spicer, also did well with the stick, hitting a double and two one-baggers.

Esplen (W) and Spicer
Dailey (L) and Padovan

The Bow Missiles had a commanding 6 to 0 lead after three innings were in the books and coasted the rest of the way. Dave Gray worked all but the final frame on the hillock, taking the shutout win with a four-hitter. Outfielder “Lefty” Fairbairn with a double and single topped the hit parade for the winners.

Kaye (L), Ray (2), L. Holden (3) and Henry
Gray (W), Simons (9) and Adshead

(June 27)  The horsehide took a pounding as the V.A.C. contingent and the Firemen combined for 28 base blows in a game in which the Red Caps prevailed 13 to 5 over the basement-dwellers. The Vacs scored in every frame but three. “Bunny” Purmal of the winners carried off the hitting honours with two doubles and a single. Second baseman Lorne Campbell smashed the ball hard for the Smoke Squelchers with three safe blows.

Puder (W) and Padovan, Ingram
Ray (L), Kaye (4), O’Leary (5) and Henry

(June 28)  Pitcher “Scotty” Lee was in his best form at Queens Park, leading the New Westminster Fraser Cafemen to 6 to 2 triumph over V.A.C. Lee was tight in the pinches and whiffed five of the Red Cap batters. Pete Senuty clubbed a round-tripper for the Royal City nine.

Straight (L) and xxx
Lee (W) and xxx 

(June 29)  An overflow crowd, estimated at 5,000, witnessed the Telephones administering an 8 to 0 trimming to the Arrow Transfer contingent. Earl Lewis pitched seven innings of four-hit ball for the Phones before turning the reins over to Don Weaver to finish the one-sided contest. Second baseman “Red” Hutchinson grabbed himself a triple and a double for the victors while his keystone combo partner, Bob Heaman, picked up a two-bagger and a brace of singles.

Richardson (L), Gray (6) and Barnes
Lewis (W), Weaver (8) and Spicer

(July 4)  The Vacs once again defeated the last-place Firemen, this time by a narrow 4 to 3 margin. It was Jimmy McKissock’s swatting that decided the game in favour of the Red Caps. He slashed a two-run single in the fifth shortly after the Hosemen had tied the game 1 – 1. He also delivered a stinging double in the seventh to drive in “Bunny” Purmal with what proved to be the winning marker.

Anderson (L) and Henry
Puder (W) and Padovan

(July 5)  Piling on a bombardment of epic proportions, the Arrows overcame a 7 to 0 deficit and scored eleven times in the seventh inning to hang an 11 to 8 defeat on the shell-shocked Firemen. During the seventh-canto spree in which four hurlers from the Hosemen were used, the Arrow gunners had seven clean blows, secured three walks and were the beneficiaries of a trio of fielding miscues. Jack Cranstoun picked up four hits for the Bow Missiles, all singles. Shortstop Eddie Holden pounded a bases-empty homer plus a brace of one-baggers for the Flame Fighters.

Simons (W), Gray (7) and Adshead
L. Holden, Kaye (7), Ray (L) (7), Anderson (7) and Goodall

(July 6)  The rampaging Telephones gave another smooth performance in bumping off the Arrow Transfermen, their nearest rivals, 7 to 3. Both teams racked up 11 base blows but, except for the explosiveness of outfielder Pete Staggs, the Cartage Crew was unable to produce runs off winning tosser Don Weaver like the Phones did off Dave Gray. Staggs was the paramount offensive force for the Projectiles, slamming a brace of round-trippers as well as a one-bagger. Third baseman Jack Cameron was prominent with the willow for the victorious nine, claiming a double and two singles.

Weaver (W) and Spicer 
Gray (L) and Barnes

(July 8)  Pete Senuty retained his popularity with Royal City fans when he cracked out a double in the bottom of the ninth frame which drove in the tying run in a 4 – 4 draw between the homestanding Fraser Cafe nine and the Vancouver Firemen.

Ray, L. Holden and xxx
xxx (W) and xxx 

(July 8)  In spite of a poor defensive effort in which they committed seven errors, the V.A.C. baseballers escaped with a 4 to 3 victory over the Telephones. Had it not been for the valiant pitching of Joe Dailey who refused to fold, the Red Caps could have easily been on the wrong side of the ledger. Dailey fought through the adversity by spinning a four-hitter, bewildering the league-leader with 11 strikeouts. Jack Cole was the one Red Cap who gave Dailey assistance. He drove across three of the four runs with a triad of base knocks, scored the winner with a beautiful slide at the plate and broke up a promising rally by the Phones with a throw to the keystone sack from his station in the outer garden which nipped a runner.

Esplen (L) and Spicer 
Dailey (W) and Padovan 

(July 9)  Arrow Transfer took advantage of numerous misplays, mostly in the infield, to put a stop to the winning ways of the rejuvenated Vacs, in taking a 6 to 3 decision in the first game of a Senior City League double-dip.  In the late encounter, the Firemen unlimbered their heavy artillery in the first inning against the Bellingham Tissues, plating five tallies en route to a 7 to 5 triumph over the Tulip Towners. Hal Straight of the Red Caps appeared headed for the mound victory in the opener until Arne Miller tied the score with a lofty swipe over the right field fence. Then, in the eighth stanza with two retired and a duck on the pond, Coley Hall pegged wild to third base which started a winning, three-run barrage for the Arrows.

Straight (L) and xxx
xxx (W) and xxx

Had it not been for the bunching of first-frame bingles by the Hosemen, the final result might have been different. Both squads rapped out eleven safeties with keystone sacker Ray O’Dell of the Tissues leading the way with  a trio of knocks. Teammate Shannon had a double and single as did shortstop Mitchell, Charlie Miron and Bobby Robertson of the Smoke Squelchers.

Bloomenberg (L), Lewis and Staggs
Anderson (W) and Henry

(July 11)  Scoring a pair of tallies in the bottom of the ninth, the Arrows took a 6 to 5 decision from the Firemen. Arne Miller’s single drove in the tying counter and Johnny Nestman’s squeeze bunt sent Pete Staggs galloping home with the winner. Bill Richardson whiffed 13 in taking the hillock triumph. Jack Cranstoun’s three-hit performance at the dish led all swatters.

O’Leary, Ray (L) (8) and Henry
Richardson (W) and Barnes

(July 13)  The tail-end Firemen got the best of the penthouse-dwelling Telephones 2 to 0 at Athletic Park. Larry Holden stymied the Phones on two hits, both one-baggers. Loser Don Weaver was only touched for five bingles. Eddie Holden’s slow roller in the sixth allowed Lorne Campbell to score the initial run for the Flame Thwarters. Bobby Robertson’s perfectly-placed squeeze bunt in the eighth panel plated Nick Craig with the second counter for the Hosemen.

L. Holden (W) and Goodall
Weaver (L) and Spicer

(July 14)  The touring Chicago Colored Giants were set back by Hal Puder’s fastball and some V.A.C. slugging as the Red Caps laid a 9 to 2 exhibition game drubbing on the barnstormers. Puder, Hal Haughland, Coley Hall and Jack Cole had a brace of bingles apiece for the winners.

Hicks and Daniels (L)
Puder (W) and Padovan

(July 16)  The Telephones carried the punch when they blanked V.A.C. 3 to 0 in a lively encounter before a capacity crowd at Athletic Park. The Red Caps threatened in every inning but two, yet couldn’t produce the necessary hits in the clutch. In the sixth frame, singles by Jack Cameron, Bob Heaman and Earl Lewis shoved two runs across the plate for the Phones. Then, in the eighth, Don Stewart, “Red” Hutchinson and Heaman hit in succession for a third counter.

Dailey (L) and Padovan
Esplen (W) and Spicer

(July 19)  The Telephones clicked again, stiffening the Firemen 7 to 2 before a large audience at Athletic Park. Crafty Earl Lewis stymied the Hose & Ladder aggregation on four hits. Leading the 12-hit offense for the Phones were infielders Jack Cameron and “Red” Hutchinson who each grabbed off three hits. Hutchinson also swiped three bases. Bart Bean hit a solo four-bagger for the Flame Fighters.

Lewis (W) and Spicer
L. Holden (L), Anderson (7) and Henry

(July 20)  The Vacs chased the jinx that the Arrows seem to have held over them all campaign when they they took a lively 6 to 4 win from the Projectiles. It was left handed flinger Harold Straight who stopped the Transfermen on four well-scattered blows. The Red Caps garnered 12 safe smashes with Jimmy McKissock picking off five of these, two of them being of the scratchy variety.

Edy (L), Richardson (8) and Barnes
Straight (W) and Padovan

Standings *              W        L         Pct.
Telephones              17       10        .629
Arrows                  15       12        .556 
V.A.C.                  15       17        .469
Firemen                 10       15        .400     

* includes games against New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues

(July 21)  Fraser Cafe of New Westminster squeezed out a 3 to 2 victory over the Telephones of Vancouver in a rather colourless affair. The Royal City clan scored all of their runs in the bottom of the first frame against young Chuck Pearsall, up from the Terminal League. Doug Muscutt got the win on a six-hitter. “Scotty” Knox had a triple and single for the winners while Ross Morrow slammed a pair of doubles for the Phones.

Pearsall (L), Sikora (7) and Kasmer
Muscutt (W) and Senuty

(July 23)  The Vacs continued their domination over the Firemen by taking down the Hosemen 12 to 9 in a ragged opener of a two-game agenda at Athletic Park. The potent pitching of Dave Gray carried the Arrow Transfer troupe to a 4 to 1 win over the Telephones in the second event. The Red Caps gathered 14 hits and committed eight errors in the sloppily-played matinee match. Jimmy McKissock and victorious flinger Hal Straight each banged out three hits, a double included in McKissock’s sum. Norm Trasolini was best with the stick for the Flame Fighters, launching a home run and a one-bagger. 

Straight (W) and Padovan
L. Holden (L), Anderson (4) and Henry

Gray limited the league-leaders to five hits in the follow-up tussle while his mates gathered seven bingles, including a home run by Pete Staggs, and played errorless ball behind him.

Weaver (L), Esplen (9) and Spicer 
Gray (W) and Barnes

(July 26)  Dishing up an assortment of benders, Joe Dailey rang up 14 strikeouts while allowing just four hits in leading V.A.C. to a 4 to 0 whitewashing of the Telephones. The defeat for the Phones dropped them into second spot in the Senior City circuit, a half-game behind the Arrows. The Red Caps managed only five base raps off the slants of losing chucker Earl Lewis but scored their first run on a squeeze play and bunched the remainder of their hits successfully for the other tallies.

Lewis (L) and Spicer 
Dailey (W) and Padovan 

(July 27)  Vancouver Firefighters defeated their brethren, the Seattle Fire Department, 12 to 11 in a friendly exhibition match.

(July 29)  Taking the mound for the first time this season, veteran Eddie Olson of the New Westminster nine was rocked for four runs in three innings by the Arrows who went on to defeat the Fraser Cafemen 6 to 2. Ross Edy struck out five and gave up six hits in gathering the mound win. Olson and Pete Staggs of the Transfermen were the high hitters for the evening, each garnering a pair of bingles.

Edy (W) and Adshead
Olson (L), Dodd (4) and Senuty

(July 29)  Plating six counters in the initial canto and adding another seven in the second panel, the Telephones ran away with a 15 to 2 laugher over the Firemen. Compiling a total of 15 base hits, interspersed with six fielding miscues by the Hosemen, the Hello Gang had the easiest of times in this one-sided affair. Shortstop Bob Heaman of the Phones had a good night with the war club, connecting safely four out of five times.

Weaver (W), Sikora (7) and Spicer
Ray (L), L. Holden (2) and Henry 

(July 30)  The Firemen took another beating, in the opener of a double-bill, when they were unable to hit the offerings of “Scotty” Lee and were pounded by the Fraser Cafe nine from New Westminster 6 to 2. Don Weaver pitched and batted the Telephones to a hard-earned 4 to 2 victory over the stubborn V.A.C. aggregation in the late event. The Cafemen roughed up losing flinger “Andy” Anderson for eleven safeties in the matinee joust. Catcher Pete Senuty and infielder “Scotty” Knox both hit a double and singled for the Royal City troupe.

Lee (W) and Senuty
Anderson (L) and Henry

In the late game, Weaver retired 13 Red Caps by the strikeout route and provided the punch with the bat to send two runners across the plate which proved to be the margin of victory for the Flame Fighters. The southpaw chucker also whiffed three in a row with the bases loaded in the eighth.

Weaver (W) and xxx
xxx (L) and xxx 

(August 1)  Earl Lewis pitched the Telephones to a 2 to 1 victory over Bill Richardson and the Arrows 2 to 1 in one of the prettiest chucking duels of the season. Lewis not only gave a fine display of pitching but he also delivered the blow which decided the outcome of the game in the fifth when he caught one of Richardson’s fast balls and drilled it for a home run. The Projectiles held a 7 to 5 edge in hits but Lewis outgunned Richardson 10 to 6 in the strikeout department.  Both flingers led their respective clubs with the lumber, stroking a brace of safeties each.

Richardson (L) and Adshead
Lewis (W) and Kasmer

(August 3)  Jimmy McKissock’s inside-the-park home run in the bottom of the eleventh inning broke up a 1 – 1 tie and gave the Vancouver Athletic Club a 2 to 1 decision over the Arrows. Harold Straight got the knoll triumph in his duel with Dave Gray of the Bow Missiles. Straight struck out 10 in the tough engagement. In addition to his dinger, McKissock drilled a pair of one-baggers. Pete Staggs had a triple and single for the Cartage Crew.

Gray (L) and Barnes
Straight (W) and Padovan

Standings *                   W        L        Pct.
Telephones                   20       13       .606
Arrows                       17       14       .548
V.A.C.                       18       17       .514
Firemen                      11       19       .367

* includes games against New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues 

(August 4)  The Fraser Cafe baseballers of New Westminster generously handed the Telephones a victory on a silver platter by loose fielding and, then, tried in vain to win it back in a wild ninth inning rally which fell on run short as the Phones hung on to prevail 7 to 6. Each of the fielding miscues made by the Hash Slingers seemed to come at a very inopportune time and resulted in unearned runs crossing the plate. Winning chucker Don Weaver and vanquished mound foe “Scotty” Lee both went the route on the hillock. Third baseman Jack Cameron and initial sacker Abe Cross did the heavy work with the stick for the victors with three base blows each. Shortstop “Scotty” Knox got to Weaver for three bingles and catcher Pete Senuty cracked out two long doubles.

Weaver (W) and Spicer
Lee (L) and Senuty 

(August 5)  The bottom-feeding Firemen showed they have some fight left when they stopped the speeding Telephones 9 to 5 in ten innings at Athletic Park. The Hook and Ladder Boys got to losing reliever Earl Lewis for four runs in the top of the extra-stanza on run-scoring hits by Norm Goodall and Lorne Campbell. Charlie Miron led the 14-hit splurge by the Smoke Squelchers with three singles, a feat replicated by Abe Cross of the Wrong Numbers. Ralph Spicer of the Phones showed plenty of power at the dish, slamming a triple and double.

Anderson, Craig (W) (5) and Goodall
Sikora, Pearsall (4), Lewis (L) (7) and Kasmer

(August 6)  The Arrow Transfer baseballers broke through with four runs in the eighth frame to beat the Firemen 5 to 1 in the afternoon skirmish of a twin-bill while the Bellingham Tissues hustled much too fast for the plodding Vacs and ran off with a the late encounter 7 to 1. Larry Holden and Ross Edy battled it out in the hot afternoon sun on even terms for most of the way in the matinee game until the Transfermen pounded out five hits, good for four counters, in grabbing the opener.

L. Holden (L) and xxx
Edy (W) and xxx

Bellingham pitcher Bryan Lewis, older brother of Earl of Telephone fame, was in rare form for the Tissues in the second tilt and would have blanked the Red Caps had he not tossed a wild pitch in the fifth. Meanwhile, the Vac’s infield was wobbly, committing six miscues. Ray O’Dell of the Washingtonians lit losing heaver Hal Puder up for a third-inning circuit-clout.

Lewis (W) and xxx
Puder (L), Straight and xxx

(August 10)  Bill Richardson limited the Telephones to just three hits as the Arrows came from behind an early 2 to 0 deficit to take down the Hello Boys 5 to 2 before a capacity crowd at Athletic Field. Losing flinger Don Weaver of the Phones seemed to come unnerved in the sixth canto after blanking the Projectiles for the first five frames. Pete Staggs, after being called out at the plate, cracked Weaver on the jaw during a skirmish that ensued, and was chased from the battle for his rowdy tactics but Weaver seemed to lose his effectiveness at this point. Merrick Cranstoun of the victors and Ralph Spicer of the Phones both hit home runs.

Weaver (L) and Spicer
Richardson (W) and Barnes

(August 11)  The scrappy Arrows were beaten 6 to 5 by the Firemen after mounting a late-inning comeback attempt. Charlie Miron’s two-run round-tripper in the eighth helped the Firemen run up a three-run lead which was in peril right up until the last out was recorded.

Anderson (W), Ray (8), L. Holden (8) and xxx
Gray, Richardson (L) and xxx

(August 12)  The Firemen practically bade goodbye to the playoffs in the Senior City circuit when they bowed to the third-place V.A.C. aggregation 5 to 3 at Athletic Park. The Hosemen held a one-run margin until the seventh frame when the Vacs came through with a three-run rally to salt the game away. Winning flinger Hal Puder picked up a double and single in his appearances at the platter. Teammate Joe Dailey as well as Lorne Campbell and Bart Bean of the Fire Thwarters each stroked a pair of one-baggers.

Ray (L) and Goodall
Puder (W) and Padovan

(August 13)  The Firemen passed completely out of the playoff picture when they absorbed a 5 to 4 trimming from the New Westminster Fraser Cafe nine in the afternoon tussle of a doubleheader. In the late encounter the Vacs impressively blanked the second-place Arrows 6 to 0. The Royal City visitors managed to effectively bunch their hits off Nick Craig in taking the opener.

Dodd (W) and xxx
Craig (L) and xxx

Harold Straight had his left-handed curves working to perfection in the second contest, allowing the Projectiles only three scattered blows. The Red Caps got to loser Ross Edy for 12 bingles as Straight led the way with a double and single while teammates Andy Padovan and Jimmy McKissock both singled twice. 

Edy (L) and Barnes
Straight (W) and Padovan

(August 16)  The hard-charging Vacs moved to within a whisker of second place as they triumphed over the first-place Telephones 2 to 1. Both hurlers were in control for most of the game in which the Phones held a slight 6 to 5 advantage in base raps. In the fourth canto, Jimmy McKissock’s single and winning chucker Joe Dailey’s sacrifice fly both drove in runs for the Red Caps after they had fallen behind 1 to 0 in the opening stanza. McKissock, as well as Johnny Kasmer of the Phones, both had two hits.

Weaver (L) and Kasmer
Dailey (W) and Padovan

(August 17)  The Arrows moved into a scant percentage points lead over the Telephone in their battle for top spot in the Senior City circuit by virtue of a thrilling 1 to 0 win over the Bellingham Tissue. Bill Richardson gave a masterful display on the hillock for the Transfermen, blanking the Tissues with two scratch singles. The Bow Missiles picked off nine hits from the offerings of losing chucker Bryan Lewis but only managed to plate one counter. Arne Miller’s single in the fourth canto drove in Charlie Stevenson with the contest’s lone marker. Miller was the big noise at the plate for the winners, connecting for four sharp singles.

Lewis (L) and B. Staggs
Richardson (W) and Barnes 

Standings *                W       L      Pct.
Arrows                    20      16     .556
Telephones                21      17     .553
V. A. C.                  21      18     .538
Firemen                   13      22     .371

* includes games against New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues 

(August 18)  The tail-end Firemen gave the V.A.C. squad all they could handle for eight innings before succumbing to the Red Caps 9 to 8. Jack Cole’s long single in the bottom of the ninth inning drove in Jimmy McKissock with the winning run. There was plenty of solid hitting in this fray in which Nick Craig and Eddie Holden of the Hose & Ladder gang as well as Cole and Andy Padovan of the victorious nine all connecting for three hits.

Ray (L) and Henry
Straight, Puder (5), Dailey (W) (9) and Padovan

(August 19)  Out-hit 5 to 3 by the visitors, the Arrows were fortunate to come up with a 1 to 0 win over the Fraser Cafe aggregation from New Westminster. The Transfermen bunched two of their three bingles in the seventh frame to plate the only marker of the tussle. Merrick Cranstoun, who began the inning with a sizzling single, was able to tag up and score from third on Arne Miller’s fly out. Don Gray rang up nine strikeouts in earning the knoll decision over Doug Muscutt.

Muscutt (L) and Senuty
Gray (W) and Adshead

(August 20)  The Arrows are still a half game ahead of the Telephones in their mad dash for first place and a playoff bye after squeezing past the Firemen 3 to 2 in the first of two league contests. The Telephones kept pace in the latter half of the twin-bill by crushing the Bellingham Tissues 9 to 3. The Flame Fighters gave the Cartage Crew all they could handle in the matinee game. Losing twirler Andy Anderson allowed just five hits but two of the blows were circuit-jacks by Pete Staggs and Arne Miller which accounted for all three Arrow runs. Victorious chucker Ross Edy got out of difficulties on several occasions, one being a dangerous final-inning thrust which never came to fruition. 

Anderson (L) and xxx
Edy (W) and xxx

The Phones jumped into a big lead against the Tissues and were never in peril in the late event. “Babe” Esplen tossed a six-hitter for the victory. Outfielder Don Stewart had a big day at the platter for the Wrong Numbers, blasting a triple, double and single. Shortstop Bliss connected for a two-run inside-the-park four-bagger for Bellingham. 

Ford (L), Bloomenberg (4) and Staggs, Wilson
Esplen (W) and Kasmer

(August 22)  The Arrow Transfermen took a stirring pitcher’s tussle from the Bellingham Tissues 4 to 2 in thirteen innings. Both chuckers, Bryan Lewis of Bellingham and Bill Richardson of the Projectiles, went the full route, each yielding only five hits. The big difference, however, was chiefly through the strenuous clubbing of Arrow first sacker Arne Miller who belted a brace of home runs, the last of which was a two-run shot in the fourth extra-frame which settled the issue.     

Lewis (L) and Wilson
Richardson (W) and Barnes

(August 23)  The Vancouver Senior City circuit ended the season’s regular league play with a double-bill in which the Telephones blanked the Fraser Cafemen of New Westminster 5 to 0 to begin the proceedings and concluded with the Arrows clinching first place as a result of a 9 to 4 smothering of the Firemen. The abbreviated opening game saw the Phones let loose in the final frame with a barrage of base hits to win handily while Don Weaver was handcuffing the Royal City nine on just one hit. Outfielders Earl Lewis and Jack Cameron both singled twice for the winners. 

Weaver (W) and Spicer
Dodd (L) and Senuty

Mounting a balanced hitting attack, the Arrows took control of the second tussle by scoring a six-spot in the fourth stanza. Only one batter, shortstop Gaskill of the Smoke & Fire Brigade, was able to gather two hits. Ross Edy picked up the hurling triumph with a four-hitter.   

Gray (W) and Barnes
L. Holden (L) and Goodall

Final Standings *           W       L       Pct.
Arrows                     24      16      .600
Telephones                 23      17      .575
V. A. C.                   22      18      .550
Firemen                    13      25      .342 

* includes games against New Westminster Fraser Cafe and Bellingham Tissues 

Semi-finals (best-of-five)  Vancouver Athletic Club vs B.C. Telephones

(August 24)  Scoring three runs in the top of the eleventh inning, the V.A.C. aggregation of baseballers defeated the Telephones 8 to 5 in the opening game of the best-of-five semi-final playoffs. The game featured plenty of base hits with the Phones holding a distinct 16 to 9 edge over the Red Caps. Reliever Don Weaver wavered badly in the second extra-canto. With the score still knotted at 5 – 5, daring baserunner Jimmy McKissock of the Vacs barrel led over Phones’ catcher Ralph Spicer at the dish to put the Clubbers in front by a run. Jack Cole and Coley Hall crossed the plate later in the frame to sew things up. Winning pitcher Joe Dailey had three hits as did Spicer, Bruce Thirsk and “Red” Hutchinson of the Hello Boys.

Dailey (W) and Padovan
Esplen, Weaver (L) (8) and Spicer

(August 26)  The Vancouver Athletic Club made it two straight over the Telephones by staging an epic bottom-of-the-ninth comeback to win 9 to 8. The Vacs deserved their victory owing to their heavy clouting of the horsehide, accumulating 17 base blows, but they were also aided by some wobbly fielding on the part of the Wrong Numbers who had seven miscues, many of them costly. Two-out run-scoring singles by Art Morse and Andy Padovan brought the Red Caps back from almost certain defeat in their last-inning rally. Don Weaver suffered his second relief pitching setback in the series. Morse  as well as Ralph Spicer and Jack Cameron all collected three hits. Earl Lewis belted a home run for the Hello Boys.  

Lewis, Weaver (L) (8) and Kasmer 
Straight (W) and Padovan 

(August 27)   The Vacs eliminated the Telephones from the Senior City League playoffs, capturing the third game 3 to 1 and the series in straight games. The Telephones seemed to be dispirited following their tough loss in the second game of the series and did not click when the punch was needed, stranding nine baserunners. Jimmy McKissock had four base raps, two of them doubles, for the victors. “Doc” Cameron had three safeties for the Wrong Numbers.

Puder (W) and xxx
Esplen (L) and xxx

Finals (best-of-seven)  Vancouver Athletic Club vs Arrows

(August 29)  Steady Bill Richardson and flashy Pete Staggs combined to give the Arrow Transfer nine a brilliant ninth-inning verdict over the Vacs in the first skirmish of the final series for the Senior City Baseball league crown. Richardson held the hard-hitting Red Caps to just three bingles, two of them very scratchy, while the emotionally-charged Staggs belted one of Joe Dailey’s fastballs over the fence with two aboard in the ninth to score the deciding runs. Staggs wound up with two hits for the winners as did teammate Merrick Cranstoun.

Richardson (W) and Barnes
Straight, Dailey (L) (7) and Padovan

(August 31 )  Rain

(September 2)  The Arrows and V.A.C. are all square in their struggle for supremacy in the Senior City League. The Vacs racked up a second-game playoff triumph through a well-earned 5 to 2 verdict at Athletic Park. The Red Caps were strong on defense and took advantage of the breaks to give them the edge. Jack Cole rang up losing flinger Dave Gray for a pair of doubles. Billy Adshead with a triple and single was best with the hickory for the Projectiles.

Dailey (W) and Padovan
Gray (L) and Barnes

(September 5)  The Arrow Transfer squad is out in front again in the fight for the Senior City Baseball championship after dropping the V.A.C. pastimers 6 to 2. After Bill Richardson, curve-ball artist deluxe, was nicked for a pair of first-frame counters, he held the Red Caps scoreless for the remainder of the game and sent 14 of them back to the bench on strikeouts. Jimmy McKissock was the only player from the Vacs who took liberties with Richardson’s curves. The second sacker connected for four blows in as many times up two of them being booming doubles off the fence. Johnny Nestman, Ross Edy, Merrick Cranstoun and Roy Barnes all had two hits for the Arrows.

Richardson (W) and Barnes
Straight (L), Puder (7) and Ingram

(September 8)  With a stirring 3 to 1 tenth-inning victory over the Arrows, the Vacs knotted the Senior City League final series at two games each. Extra-inning blows by playing-manager Coley Hall and Jimmy McKissock drove in the winning and insurance tallies for the Red Caps after the Transfermen had scored once in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game. McKissock and shortstop Hal Haughland were the top dogs with the lumber for the V.A.C. troupe, both registering a brace of safeties. McKissock’s raps included a double while both of Haughland’s were two-baggers.

Dailey (W) and Padovan
Gray, Richardson (L) (9) and Barnes

(September 9)  The Vacs were pierced by the Arrows to the tune of 9 to 5 in the fifth tussle in their Van-City senior showdown. The Projectiles dominated the early innings, jumping out to a 6 to 0 lead after two frames. The Red Caps made a comeback in the middle cantos, narrowing the margin to 6 to 5 after six rounds while the Bow Missiles sealed the deal with a three-spot in the eighth stanza. Youthful Billy Adshead continued his amazing progression within senior ranks with a three-hit performance at the dish for the Cartage Crew.

Gray (W) and Barnes
Puder (L), Straight (2) and Padovan 

(September 10)  The fighting Vancouver Athletic Club nine evaded elimination, decisively defeating the Arrows 7 to 1 to force a game seven in their hard-fought Senior City League final series. It was a free-hitting contest with pitchers on both sides appearing to be worn down. Outfielder Jack Cole had a huge output at the platter for the Vacs, slamming a home run and three singles. Pete Staggs was best with the willow for the Transfermen, stroking a triple and a one-bagger.

Dailey (W), Puder (8) and Padovan
Richardson (L), Edy (7) and Barnes 

(September 12)  Some heavy gunning in the sixth frame enabled the V.A.C. batsmen to grab an intensely exciting conflict from the Arrow Transfer baseballers 2 to 1. Joe Dailey picked up his fourth pitching victory of the series, taking the narrow decision from Dave Gray who deserved a batter fate. Both chuckers were touched for six safeties. Breaking a scoreless deadlock, the Red Caps scored both of their counters with two retired in the sixth on RBI hits by Andy Padovan, a Texas-Leaguer, and a sharp single by Coley Hall. With the Vancouver Senior City League championship now tucked away, the Red Caps now await an opponent for the Lower Mainland-Vancouver Island crown.

Gray (L) and Barnes
Dailey (W) and Padovan


Abbotsford Hotel and Meralomas replaced 1931 champion Begbie, Carter & White and Marshall-Wells teams in the 1932 Terminal loop. Following a disastrous 1931 campaign, the perennial contending Asahis welcomed back star shortstop Roy Yamamura to the fold.  


(April 25)  Held scoreless and hitless for the first five innings, the defending champion Asahis broke loose for a pair of sixth-inning counters and added three more in the seventh canto as they toppled Shores' Jewelers 5 to 1 in the Terminal league opener. Reggie Yasui’s two-run circuit-shot in the sixth staked the Nippons to a 2 to 0 lead as they went on to register seven hits to six for the Diamond Merchants.

Suga (W) and R. Yasui
MacDonnell/McDonnell (L) and Warren

(April 26)  “Lefty” McLellan rang up 13 strikeouts as the Meralomas opened the Terminal League campaign with a 6 to 2 victory over the Abbotsford Hotel. Billy Adshead led the ‘Lomas at the platter with a home run, double and single, a feat replicated by Tommy Faulkner of the Hotelmen. 

McLellan (W) and Adshead
Yehle (L) and Beaumont

(April 27)  An infield miscue by keystone sacker Humphrey in the top of the last stanza allowed a pair of runners from the Shores' Jewelers aggregation to score and defeat the Meralomas 6 to 4. Chucker Bill  Hallett of the Gem Dealers got the close mound decision over Freddy Condon. First baseman Don Stewart of the Meralomas led all batters with a triple and a pair of doubles.

Hallett (W) and Ivers
Condon (L) and Adshead

(April 28)  The Asahis scored a brace of six-inning counters to nose out the Abbotsford Hotel 5 to 4 in Terminal League action. Ty Suga got the hillock triumph in a relief role. Infielder Herb Tanaka paced the Nippons at the dish, slapping out four singles. Catcher Reggie Yasui was next in line with a trio of one-baggers.

Orr (L), Gregson (6) and Beaumont
Maikawa, Suga (W) (5) and R. Yasui

(May 2)  Pitcher Ty Suga put away his third straight victory of the young campaign when the Asahis came from behind to beat the Meralomas 3 to 1.

Suga (W) and xxx
xxx (L) and xxx

(May 3)  It took a hectic finish but the Abbotsford Hotel won their first Terminal League game by scoring three runs in the final frame to edge the Meralomas 6 to 5. The Hotelmen were out hit 11 to 9 by the ‘Lomas. Don Stewart of the vanquished nine led all swatters at the plate with two doubles and a single. Second baseman Scott belted a home run for the winners.

Pearsall, Gregson (W) (6) and Pitt
McLennan (L) and Adshead

(May 5)  Solid defensive play allowed the Asahis to escape suffering their first defeat of the season when they battled Shores' Jewelers to a 0 – 0 draw in a Terminal League game that was called at the end of eight innings. Three double plays by the Nippons throttled likely rallies. Chucker Len Arthur of Shores' set the Asahis down on two safeties while newcomer Nag Nishihara of the Nippons was nicked for seven base raps.

Arthur and Warren
Nishihara and R. Yasui 

(May 10)  A heavy baggage of base hits snowed the Asahis under at the Powell Street grounds as the Nippons were pillaged 13 to 5 by the Abbotsford Hotel in a loosely-played Terminal League encounter. The Hotelmen grabbed off 14 hits with outfielder Bill Mazelow leading the way with a home run and two singles.

Suga (L), G. Tanaka (6) and R. Yasui
Yehle, Dobbins (W) (5) and Pitt

(May 11)  The Abbotsford Hotel nine fought an uphill battle to outscore Shores' Jewelers 8 to 7 in a heavy-hitting Terminal League conflict. Shores' held the lead four different times but each tome the Hotelmen evened things up and finally grabbed the game in the final frame when losing twirler McDonnell lost his control, forcing in the tying and winning runs on walks. Outfielder Norm Kay of the winners was the hitting star with three safe blows. Bill Hallett and Ivers cracked out bases-empty round-trippers for the Diamond Merchants.

Hallett, McDonnell (L) (4) and Ivers
Pearsall, Dobbins (2), Yehle (W) (6) and Pitt

(May 12)  Collecting just two hits off young George “Lefty” Boston, the Asahis capitalized on five Meraloma errors and ran wild on the bases, swiping eight, as they blanked the Kitsilano nine 3 to 0. Although winning pitcher Mickey Maikawa was touched for seven hits, his teammates played flawlessly on defense to preserve the shutout victory. Third baseman George Blossom of the ‘Lomas picked up three hits including a double.

Boston (L) and Adshead
Maikawa (W) and R. Yasui

(May 16)  Bunching their only hits of the game in the fourth and sixth stanzas off losing flinger Ty Suga, Shores' Jewelers went on to defeat the Asahis 3 to 1 in Terminal League action. A single by outfielder Widdows, a two-bagger by “Scotty” Lister and shortstop Jack Maveety’s triple broke up a 1 – 1 tie in the sixth and gave the decision to the Gem Dealers. Widdows and Maveety also had doubles which produced the first run for the Diamond Merchants.

Arthur (W) and Warren
Suga (L) and R. Yasui

(May 17)  The Abbotsford Hotel nine romped to an easy 7 to 1 win over the Meralomas at Powell Street. George Syrotuck with two doubles did the heavy work with the war club for the Hotelmen. Outfielders Bill Mazelow and Wickett both contributed a brace of one-baggers.

Pearsall (W) and Pitt
Quartermaine (L), Boston (4) and Burraston, May

(May 18)  Hitting rallies in the sixth and seventh innings, climaxed by some sterling relief chucking by southpaw George Boston, gave the Meralomas an exciting 5 to 4 triumph over Shores' Jewelers at the Powell Street diamond. Outfielder Burraston drilled a pair of two-baggers for the winners.

McLennan (W), Boston (7) and Adshead
Hallett (L) and Warren

(May 23)  The Meralomas went down to a 9 to 3 defeat at the hands of the Asahis in a Terminal League contest. The Nippons, although out hit, played a superior defensive game.

McAdams (L) and xxx
Nishihara, Suga and xxx

(May 24)  The Asahis captured both ends of an exhibition Empire Day doubleheader in Victoria, downing the Elks 9 to 4 in the early game and squeezing through with a 5 to 4 decision over Green Mill in the second encounter.

(May 24)  A two-run four-ply clout in the opening inning by Meek propelled the Meralomas to a 3 to 1 decision over the Abbotsford Hotel nine. George “Lefty” Boston fanned tem in taking the hillock joust.

Boston (W) and xxx
xxx (L) and xxx

Standings           W     L      Pct.
Asahis              5     2     .714
Abbotsford Hotel    4     3     .517
Shores' Jewelers    2     3     .400
Meralomas           3     6     .333 

(May 25)  First baseman Johnston’s clutch two-out blow in the bottom of the ninth inning drove in outfielder Walker, who had tripled, and gave the Abbotsford Hotel and, in particular their pitcher, Chuck Pearsall, a 1 to 0 walkoff win over Shores' Jewelers. Pearsall’s mound effort was of the no-hit, no-run variety, a game in which he rang up 13 strikeouts and had Shores' at his mercy for the full route. Losing flinger Len Arthur fanned six and surrendered an equal number of hits with two each being garnered by Johnston and second sacker Scott.

Arthur (L) and Warren
Pearsall (W) and Pitt

(May 26)  Shores' Jewelers came out of their batting slump and turned back the Asahis 9 to 7 in a free-hitting Terminal skirmish at the Powell Street grounds. Len “Sparky” Arthur of the Diamond Merchants went the distance on the hill for the second consecutive night although his iron-man performance met with being pasted for 12 Asahi hits. His mates won the game for him, however, by plating six runs in a huge third inning. Shortstop Butler doubled twice for the winners. Catcher Reggie Yasui and Nag Nishihara had three hits apiece for the Nippons. Reggie, along with brother Bob, both connected for home runs.

Maikawa (L), Nishihara (3) and R. Yasui
Arthur (W) and Warren

(May 30)  Southpaw Hermie McArthur tossed a one-hitter in leading Shores' Jewelers to a 5 to 0 blanking of the Meralomas. Downie’s two-base poke in the sixth was all that robbed McArthur of a pitching gem. “Scotty” Lister and Warren had two hits apiece for the winners.

McArthur (W) and Ivers
McLennan (L) and Burraston 

(May 31)  Playing without two of their regulars, a makeshift team of Asahis proved good enough to set back the Abbotsford Hotel diamond pastimers 3 to 1. Both twirlers pitched well with winner Ty Suga surrendering five hits while “Scotty” Dobbins of the Hotelmen was touched for three safeties. Catcher Pitt of the vanquished nine was the game’s top hitter, drilling a brace of doubles. 

Dobbins (L) and Pitt
Suga (W) and R. Yasui

Standings            W     L      Pct.
Asahis               6     3     .667
Abbotsford Hotel     5     4     .556
Shores' Jewelers     4     4     .500
Meralomas            3     7     .300

(June 1)  Shores' Jewelers moved into second place in the Terminal Baseball League when they headed off the Abbotsford Hotel 3 to 1 in spite of being out hit by an 8 to 4 margin. The Hoteliers threatened in every round up to the seventh but only managed to get one run across when George Syrotuck singled and outfielder Wickett tripled in the fifth. Syrotuck and first sacker Johnston of the defeated nine were the only batters to acquire two base hits.

Pearsall (L) and Pitt
McDonnell (W) and Warren

(June 2)  George Tanaka, one-handed baseball expert, hurled his first game of the season for the Asahis and succeeded in blanking the Meralomas 3 to 0. The ‘Lomas, as usual, out hit the opposition but failed to click in the pinches. The Yasui brothers were chiefly responsible for the Nippons’ first two runs with some healthy clouting in the opening stanza. Tanaka helped his own cause by squeezing home the third Asahi counter with a perfectly placed bunt in the fourth frame.

G. Tanaka (W) and R. Yasui
McAdams (L) and Burraston 

(June 6)  The Asahis chased away the jinx of Len “Sparky” Arthur when they downed Shores' Jewelers 4 to 1 in a snappy Terminal League fixture. Southpaw Ty Suga of the Nippons got the best of Arthur in this joust, aided by the sharp defensive play of his mates who pulled off two twin-killings.

Arthur (L) and xxx
Suga (W) and xxx

(June 9)  Pitcher Harold Gregson of the Abbotsford Hotel nine choked the Asahis on four hits as well as banging out a triple and single, which produced three counters, as the Hoteliers dumped the Nippons 5 to 2. Third baseman Bob Yasui accounted for both Asahi tallies with a two-run homer.

Gregson (W) and Pitt
Suga (L) and R. Yasui

(June 13)  The Asahis gained a little breathing room atop the Terminal League when they blanked the Meralomas 6 to 0. Backed by a flawless defense, winning flinger Nag Nishihara took care of business with a six-hitter. Reggie Yasui was the hitting hero for the Nippons with two doubles.

Nishihara (W) and R. Yasui
McAdams (L) and Burraston, Seretnay

(June 14)  The Abbotsford Hotel nine got to Meraloma southpaw George Boston for ten bingles and batted their way to a 7 to 3 win over the Kitsilano Crew. Boston sailed along nicely until the fifth when a triple by first baseman Johnston of the Hotelmen with two runners on started the trouble. After that, he was in trouble every inning.

xxx (W) and xxx
Boston (L) and xxx

(June 15)  Shores' Jewelers won a hard-hitting 10 to 9 victory from the Abbotsford Hoteliers in Terminal League action. The Hotelmen, who trailed most of the way, staged a last-inning rally which netted them two runs only the have the potential tying run thrown out at the plate.

xxx (W) and xxx
xxx (L) and xxx

(June 16) “Red” McDonnell just about curve-balled the league-leading Asahis to death as he twirled a two-hitter in sparking Shores' Jewelers to a 6 to 1 triumph over the Nippons. Herb Tanaka’s solo home run plated the only counter against McDonnell. “Scotty” Lister poled a brace of doubles for the Diamond Dealers while teammate Widdows had a two-bagger and a single.

McDonnell (W) and Warren
Suga (L) and R. Yasui

(June 22)  Shores' Jewelers bounced the Abbotsford Hotel nine 11 to 3 to move into a first-place tie in the Terminal League first-half standings with the Asahis. Hermie McArthur limited the Hotelmen to just two hits, both singles. Harry Clarke, Gus Girard and outfielder Mike Mitchell all had three of the 15 hits racked up by the Gem Merchants. Shortstop Jack Maveety had a brace of safeties including a home run and “Scotty” Lister doubled on two occasions.

McArthur (W) and Warren
Yehle (L), Pearsall, Orr and Pitt

(June 23)  The Asahis regained sole possession of the Terminal League penthouse, eking out a 1 to 0 victory over the Meralomas. Ty Suga tossed a three-hitter for the shutout win. Shortstop George Blossom of the Kitsilano Gang was the only batter to have any success against Suga, slapping a pair of singles.

Boston (L) and Seretnay
Suga (W) and R. Yasui

(June 27)  Shores' Jewelers pounded out a 10 to 4 victory over the Meralomas in a somewhat listless Terminal League fixture. Every batter in the Shores' lineup had at least one hit with the exception of winning pitcher Len Arthur. Outfielder Harry Clarke picked up a triple and a one-bagger for the victors.

Cantwell (L), McAdams and Seretnay
Arthur (W) and Ivers

(June 28)  The Asahis made a fighting finish to defeat the Abbotsford Hotel 2 to 1 in a thrilling Terminal League struggle. Trailing 1 to 0, the Nippons evened the count in the seventh as a result of two hits and an error. Reggie Yasui’s stinging single in the eighth then drove in Roy Yamamura from third base with the winning run after the Asahi shortstop had tripled. Herb Tanaka of the Nippons and the Hoteliers’ Tommy Faulkner both rapped a brace of safeties with a triple included in Tanaka’s pair of blows and a two-bagger in Faulkner’s sum.

Yehle (L) and Pitt
Nishihara (W) and R. Yasui

(June 29)  Pitcher Hal Gregson of the Abbotsford Hotelmen, in his first Terminal League hurling assignment, allowed just three scattered hits and, with outstanding defensive support, blanked Shores' Jewelers 2 to 0. Hermie McArthur, saddled with the hillock defeat, hurled well enough to win any ordinary game and only allowed four bingles. He balked with Harris trying to steal home, which cost him one run. 

McArthur (L) and xxx
H. Gregson (W) and xxx 

(June 30)  Solid pitching backed up by timely hitting propelled Shores' Jewelers to a 4 to 2 win over the Asahis and a tie for the leadership of the Terminal League. A first-inning base hit by Jack Maveety drove in two runs and got the Diamond Merchants off on the right foot. He later collected an additional brace of raps for a three-hit output. Catcher Reggie Yasui’s two-out single in the sixth panel drove in both of the counters for the Nippons.

Suga (L), G. Tanaka and xxx
MacDonnell/McDonnell (W) and xxx

(July 4)  The last-place Meralomas turned on Shores' Jewelers and bumped them 6 to 1. Both teams registered eight hits. Bill Kay slugged a grand-slam home run for the winners while his brother, Norm Kay, picked up three singles. 

Boston (W) and Seretnay
Hallett (L), Mitchell (5) and Ivers

(July 5)  The Asahis captured the first-half championship of the Terminal Baseball League when they squeezed through to a 2 to 1 victory over the Abbotsford Hotel. Southpaw Ty Suga copped the pitching victory with a four-hitter. The Nippons won the game through outstanding bunting, scoring both of their runs in the fourth inning on perfectly-executed squeeze plays.

Suga (W) and R. Yasui
March (L) and Pitt


(July 6)  The Meralomas served notice of their second-half aspirations when they downed the Abbotsford Hotel 2 to 1. George Boston, promising southpaw hurler, picked up the complete-game win with a six-hitter while fanning seven. His batterymate, talkative catcher Seretnay, drove in both runs for the Kitsilano tribe, with a double and single.

Yehle (L) and Pitt
Boston (W) and Seretnay 

(July 7)  Three runs in the last frame after looking hopelessly beaten gave the Asahis a surprise 3 to 2 victory over Shores' Jewelers in a second-half Terminal League tilt. After hits by Frank Shiraishi and Bob Yasui, followed by a walk to Ty Suga, Roy Yamamura’s timely double tied the score at 2 – 2. Suga then trotted over with the winner on the squeeze play with Abie Korenaga bunting.

MacDowell (L) and Ivers
Nishihara (W) and R. Yasui 

(July 11)  Timely clouting by George Syrotuk gave the Abbotsford Hotel squad their first victory in the second-half of the schedule when they outscored the Meralomas 4 to 3. Syrotuck’s double in the fourth frame drove in the tying and ultimate winning counter. Bus March limited the Kitsilano Crew to just three hits. Catcher Pitt had a home run for the winners.

McAdams (L) and Seretnay
March (W) and Pitt

(July 13)  Six runs in the first frame after two outs had been recorded were sufficient to give Shores' Jewelers a 7 to 3 Terminal League victory over the Abbotsford Hotel. Gus Girard’s bases-loaded four-ply swat was the major blow in the outburst, sending loser Fred Yehle to the showers. The Hotelmen fought back hard and threatened in nearly every round but winning flinger Hermie McArthur managed to tighten up and save the situation. Outfielder Moore and first sacker “Scotty” Lister both bagged a brace of two-baggers for the Diamond Merchants while catcher Ivers had a round-tripper. Keystone sacker Scott picked up three singles for the Abbotsfords.

McArthur (W) and Ivers
Yehle (L), March (1) and Pitt

(July 14)  Inexperience cost the Meralomas a chance of stopping the winning ways of the Asahis. The Nippons won a hard-fought tussle 2 to 1 but the Kitsilano Gang was threatening most of the way, once having the sacks full with no outs but being unable to manufacture a run in the pinches. The Asahis, on the other hand, masters at playing station-to-station baseball, scored the winning run without recording a hit by taking advantage of misplays and using the squeeze play effectively. 

McLennan (L) and Seretnay
Suga (W) and R. Yasui

(July 18)  Scoring six times in the fifth frame, the Meralomas came from behind to hand Shores' Jewelers an 8 to 4 thumping. Shortstop Jack Maveety of the Diamond Merchants topped all hitters, pounding the apple for a double and two singles.

MacDowell, McArthur (5), Mitchell (5) and Ivers
Boston (W) and Seretnay

(July 19)  The Abbotsford Hotel diamond pastimers went on a hitting spree, clouting the offerings of a tandem of Asahi chuckers to all corners of the lot in recording a 9 to 0 whitewashing. Bus March breezed to victory with a six-hitter. Outfielder Tommy Faulkner slugged a triple and double for the winners. Teammate George Syrotuck singled and doubled while first baseman Johnston belted a four-bagger. 

Nishihara (L), Suga (3) and R. Yasui
March (W) and Pitt

(July 20)  The Asahis pulled defeat out of the fire when they stunned the Meralomas by scoring three runs in the final two stanzas without the benefit of a hit to come away with a 4 to 2 victory. Hits were infrequent with the Kitsilano Crew having a 5 to 3 edge.

G. Tanaka (W) and R. Yasui
McAdams (L) and Seretnay

(July 21)  The Abbotsford Hotel shutout Shores' Jewelers 8 to 0 in Terminal League action. Hal Gregson limited the Gem Merchants to six hits in posting the whitewashing. First baseman Johnston and catcher Pitt both ripped three hits for the victors with a two-bagger included in Pitt’s total.

H. Gregson (W) and Pitt
McArthur (L), Hallett (6) and Clarke

(July 25)  George Downie’s grand-slam home run in the fourth frame propelled the Meralomas to a 7 to 3 win over Shores' Jewelers. Second baseman Humphrey gathered a double and triple for the winners.

McLennan (W) and Seretnay
May (L) and Evers

(July 27)  Two of the Terminal League’s most promising chuckers met head-to-head when the Abbotsford Hotel defeated the Meralomas 5 to 2 to take over second place in the circuit. Hal Gregson came out on top in his joust with George “Lefty” Boston, primarily because of his steadiness in the clutch. Catcher Pitt of the Hoteliers topped the hit parade with a triple and single.

H. Gregson (W) and Pitt
Boston (L) and McGuire

(July 28)  The Asahis handed Shores' Jewelers an 8 to 4 drubbing in a Terminal League tussle. The Nippons bunched their hits in two rounds to score four runs in each frame. A pair of fast double-plays also helped in securing the win.

Nishihara (W) and xxx
MacDowell (L) and xxx

(August 1)  The Abbotsford Hotel nine continued their winning ways, taking an early lead and grinding out a 6 to 4 victory over Shores' Jewelers. Winning tosser Bus March surrendered six hits, one being a sixth-inning four-bagger by outfielder Harry Clarke. Bill Mazelow led the eight-hit Abbotsford batting attack with a double and single.

Hallett (L) and Warren
March (W) and Pitt 

(August 2)  Superior defense and timely aggression on the basepaths gave the Asahis a 5 to 4 victory over the Meralomas in a hard-fought Terminal League battle. The Kitsilano troupe pummelled the ball hard in nearly every frame but, time and time again, the Nippons rose to the occasion with their glove work. Third baseman Morley hit a four-bagger for the ‘Lomas while catcher Reggie Yasui doubled and singled for the victors..

Suga (W) and R. Yasui
McLellan (L) and Seretnay

(August 3)  The Meralomas came from behind to drop Shores' Jewelers 4 to 3 in a Terminal League tilt. Trailing 3 to 2 as they came to bat for the final time, the ‘Lomas rallied for two counters when, after Frank Hutchinson had singled and Hugh Blossom doubled, George Downie delivered a long two-bagger to drive in both runners. Downie led the hit parade, garnering three safeties, a brace of which were two-ply clouts.

McArthur (L), MacDowell (7) and Ivers
McAdams (W) and Seretnay

(August 4)  The Abbotsford Hotel diamond pastimers jumped right back into the thick of the battle for the second-half championship of the Terminal Baseball League when they knocked off the Asahis 5 to 0. Harold Gregson, the season’s pitching find, hurled his third shutout game out of four starts, holding the Nippons to four scattered hits.

Nishihara (L), Suga (2) and xxx
H. Gregson (W) and xxx 

Second-half standings       W     L      Pts.
Asahis                      6     2     .750
Abbotsford Hotel            6     3     .667
Meralomas                   4     5     .444
Shores' Jewelers            1     7     .125 

(August 8)  Shores' Jewellers broke out of their prolonged slump when they handed the Asahis a 7 to 2 drubbing. “Red” MacDonell/MacDowell, outside of a little wildness at the start, was in good form on the mound for the Diamond Merchants, stifling the Nippons on four hits. Outfielder Moore had three hits for the Gem Dealers while teammate Widdows slugged a home run. George Shishido had a double and single for the Asahis.

G. Tanaka (L), Nishihara (5), Maikawa (5) and R. Yasui
MacDowell (W) and Clarke

(August 9)  The Abbotsford Hotel nine moved to the top of the Terminal League’s second-half standings when they downed a weakened Shores' Jewelers outfit 9 to 1. The Hoteliers’ pitching tandem of Bus March and Fred Yehle allowed eight hits while their mates got to loser Mike Mitchell in the first and last rounds for most of their runs.

March (W), Yehle and xxx
Mitchell (L) and xxx

(August 10)  Errors were costly to the Meralomas as the Asahis took advantage of poor fielding to capture a 6 to 1 victory. The win for the Nippons put them back on even terms with the Abbotsford Hotel for the second-half leadership in the Terminal League. Outfielder Bob Yasui slammed a brace of doubles for the Nippons while teammate Frank Shiraishi contributed a two-bagger and a single.

Boston (L) and Seretnay
Suga (W) and R. Yasui

(August 11)  Hal Gregson won his fifth straight mound victory when he pitched the Abbotsford Hotel to a 6 to 2 win over the Meralomas, a triumph which moved the Hotelmen back into undisputed possession of first place in the Terminal League. Gregson yielded four hits while his mates collected six off the slants of McLennan. Catcher Pitt had a somewhat jaded inside-the-park four-bagger for the winners.

McLennan (L) and Seretnay
H. Gregson (W) and Pitt

(August 15)  Shores' Jewelers edged out the Meralomas 3 to 2 after six innings of Terminal League action which had to be curtailed because of rain. Catcher Warren of the Diamond Merchants led all swatters with a double and single. The Kitsilano nine were only able to manage four hits off winning flinger “Red” MacDowell.

McLennan (L) and Seretnay
MacDowell (W) and Warren

(August 16)  The Abbotsford Hotel baseballers increased their second-half lead in the Terminal League to a game and a half when they stopped the Asahis 8 to 1. Bill Mazelow picked up three hits for the victors including a home run. The Nippons were unable to connect for meaningful base raps in the clutch off winning tosser George Gregson.

G. Gregson (W) and Pitt
Suga (L) and R. Yasui

(August 17)  Cracking a pair of Meraloma chuckers for 18 base blows the Abbotsford Hoteliers blew out the Kitsilano nine 17 to 0 in a game which was mercifully stopped after five innings. Shortstop Harris led the willow wielders with a double and three singles. Tommy Faulkner was next in line with a brace of two-baggers and a single.

March (W), Yehle and Pitt
McAdams (L), Boston and Seretnay

(August 18)  The Asahis jumped right back into the fight for the second-half championship of the Terminal Baseball League when they dumped Shores' Jewelers 10 to 3. Both teams registered ten base knocks but the Nippons came up with timely hits and ran wild on the bases. Second baseman Widdows Of the Gem Merchants was the heavy sticker of the night with three clean singles. Catcher Reggie Yasui paced the winners at the plate with a double and single. Frank Shiraishi swiped three bases.  

McArthur (L), Mitchell, Clarke and Clarke, Warren
Maikawa (W) and R. Yasui

(August 22)  A pair of run-scoring doubles by Tommy Faulkner and Bill Mazelow in the third canto netted all three runs for the Abbotsford Hotelmen as they eked out a 3 to 2 victory over Shores' Jewelers at the Powell Street grounds. Outfielder Trayling, who drove in both counters for Shores' with a fourth-inning single. was thrown out at the plate later in the frame while attempting to score the tying marker on Harry Clarke’s double. Both pitchers did a fine job on the hillock, surrendering but four safeties apiece.

Hallett (L) and Warren
H. Gregson (W) and Pitt

(August 23)  The Meralomas failed to break their  jinx in tackling the Asahis, losing another close game 5 to 4. The Nippons were able to bunch most of their hits in the second frame when they scored four times.

xxx (W) and xxx
xxx (L) and xxx 

(August 24)  The Meralomas made their last effort of the season a winning one when they downed Shores' Jewelers 2 to 0, a win which kept them from becoming co-tenants of the Terminal League cellar. Both winning chucker Bill McAdams and losing flinger Bill Hallett were touched for four hits in the low-scoring affair. Morley’s triple in the third inning and a long double by Bill Kaye in the fourth panel drove in the two counters for the Kitsilano Clan. Outfielder Moore of the Diamond Dealers had a double and single in a losing cause.

McAdams (W) and Seretnay
McArthur (L), Hallett (5) and Warren, Clarke 

(August 25)  The Abbotsford Hotel squad proved their right to the second-half championship of the Terminal Baseball league when they defeated the Asahis 3 to 1 in their final game of the regular season. The two combatants will again hook up in a best-of-five showdown for the overall league title. First baseman Johnston’s home run in the third frame and some timely clouting in the fourth canto sent the Hoteliers to victory. Bill Mazelow and shortstop Harris both singled twice for the victors.

G. Gregson, Yehle (W) (2) and Pitt
Maikawa (L), Suga (4) and R. Yasui

Final second-half standings     W     L      Pct.
Abbotsford Hotel               12     3     .800
Asahis                          9     5     .643
Meralomas                       5    10     .333
Shores' Jewelers                3    11     .214

Finals (best-of-three)  Asahis vs Abbotsford Hotel

(August 27)  The Asahis jumped away with the first game of the series for the Terminal League crown when they defeated the Abbotsford Hotel squad 7 to 0 at Athletic Park. The Nippons fielded brilliantly behind the four-hit pitching of Ty Suga. Herb Tanaka, Reg Yasui and Suga all connected for a brace of base knocks as did Tommy Faulkner of the Hotelmen.

March (L), Yehle (2) and Pitt 
Suga (W) and R. Yasui 

(September 1)  The Abbotsford Hotel baseballers are still in the race for the Terminal Baseball League title. They stopped the Asahis 9 to 4 in a long, drawn-out battle at Athletic Park. Even with a huge 14 to 4 advantage in base hits, the Hotelmen had their work cut out for them in beating the Nippons. George Syrotuck’s long two-run double in the sixth canto moved the Abbotsfords in front 5 to 4, a lead they never relinquished. Tommy Faulkner poked a double and two singles for the winners.

Yehle (W) and Pitt
Maikawa, Nishihara, Suga and R. Yasui

(September 3)  The Asahis were declared as 1932 Terminal League champions. No trace of any score of the final game or any details were found in the Vancouver Sun.

Pacific-Northwest Nipponese championship series

(September 5)  Despite the efforts of durable Ty Suga, Japanese southpaw mound ace, the Vancouver Asahis were unable to wrest the Pacific Northwest inter-city title from the Seattle Nippons at Athletic Park. The Seattle nine won the opening game of the series on their home turf recently and broke even in the doubleheader staged in Vancouver to cop the title. Suga baffled the invaders in the early game, beating them 7 to 1 on five hits, while his mates were cracking out 11 base blows including a double and triple by Terminal league batting champion, Reg Yasui. The late game was a different story with the Puget Sound gang blasting Mickey Maikawa for four early runs before Suga came to his rescue in a 6 to 0 loss.

Suga (W) and R. Yasui
Okada (L), Honda and Takato

Maikawa (L), Suga and R. Yasui
Yamaguichi (W) and Takato


B.C. Senior quarter-finals (best-of-five)  Bellingham WA Tissues vs New Westminster Fraser Cafe

(August 28)  Following an initial game saw-off, Fraser Cafe of New Westminster took the lead in their playoff series with the Bellingham Tissues by capturing the second game 5 to 4. Doug Fraser of the visiting Cafemen was in his element at the plate as he pounded out four singles for the winners.

Lee (W) and xxx
Bloomenberg (L) and xxx

(August 30)  Fraser Cafe of New Westminster took a stranglehold on their series with the Bellingham Tissues when they edged the Washingtonians 6 to 5. Pete Senuty drove in five runs for the Restaurateurs, the first on a clean single in the third panel and the remainder on a grand-slam home run in the fourth canto.

xxx (L) and xxx 
xxx (W) and xxx

(September 5)  Fraser Cafe of New Westminster breezed into the B.C. senior baseball semi-finals after defeating the Bellingham Tissues 1 to 0 to wrap up their series with three straight wins after playing to a tie in the opening game. “Scotty” Lee pitched masterfully in recording the shutout mound triumph. Ray Hawkes singled in the sixth inning to drive in “Scotty” Knox with the game’s lone run. 

xxx (L) and xxx
Lee (W) and xxx

Victoria Senior Amateur Baseball League finals (best-of-seven)

(September 8)  The Sons of Canada completed a remarkable comeback by downing Green Mill 4 to 3 in the seventh and deciding game of the Victoria Senior Amateur Baseball League finals. Losers of the first three games in the series, the Sons took the next four fixtures.

B.C. quarter-final playdowns (best-of-three)  Vancouver Asahis vs Victoria Sons of Canada

As per B.C.B.A. regulations the Terminal League champion Asahis were allowed to add four players from their circuit to their roster for the 1932 provincial playdowns. Joining the Nippons for the B.C. quarter-finals with the Victoria champions were pitchers George Boston of the Meralomas and Hal Gregson of the Abbotsford Hotel team. Also on the expanded squad were infielders Bill Emery of Shores' Jewelers and Hugh Blossom of the Meralomas.

Roster of Victoria Sons of Canada :  Bacon C, Campbell C. 3B, Campbell F. 1B, Cann P, Doherty OF, Down OF, Haines OF, Hilton, Holden Leo P, Holman, Nex 3B, Parfitt P, Saville SS

(September 9)  The Vancouver Asahis, champions of the Terminal Baseball League, took the first game of their B.C. quarter-final series with the Victoria Sons of Canada 5 to 4. Trailing 5 to 1 as they game to bat in the last half of the ninth, the Victorians staged a rally which just fell short as the final out was recorded with the potential tying run at third base. Ty Suga got the mound decision over Leo Holden.

Suga (W) and xxx
Holden (L) and xxx

(September 10)  Overcoming a 6 to 0 deficit, the Vancouver Asahis roared back to stun the Victoria Sons of Canada with a 10 to 8 victory, sweeping the best-of-three showdown in two straight contests. Catcher Reg Yasui starred with the war club for the Nippons, picking off two doubles and two singles. Mickey Maikawa also had a brace of two-baggers. With the win, the Asahis go on to face the New Westminster Fraser Cafe nine in the provincial semi-finals.

Parfitt (L), Cann (5) and Bacon
Boston, Gregson (W) (4) and R. Yasui

B.C. Senior semi-finals (best-of-three)  Vancouver Asahis vs New Westminster Fraser Cafe

(September 13)  A soft tap from outfielder Callahan’s bat which looked to be an easy out but took bad bounce over the third baseman’s head, allowed the Fraser Cafe nine of New Westminster to score twice in the bottom of the ninth inning to capture the first game of the provincial semi-finals 5 to 4 over the Vancouver Asahis. Not only did the Nippons drop the opener but they also lost the services of their star left handed hurler Ty Suga who broke a finger fielding a hard-hit comebacker in the third stanza. Light-hitting infielder Dean Freshfield collected four hits for the Cafemen, three of them doubles.

Suga, Boston (L) (3) and R. Yasui
Lee, Dodd (W) (9) and Senuty

Pitcher Fred Yehle from the Terminal League’s Abbotsford Hotel baseball club was allowed to join the Asahis as an injury replacement for Ty Suga who is out for the duration of the playoffs.

(September 14)  It looked like a slaughter of the innocents by the manner in which the Fraser Cafe diamondeers of New Westminster trounced the meek Asahis 20 to 1 to enter the final series against V.A.C. for the provincial baseball championship. Using three pickup pitchers added for the playoffs, one replacing the injured Ty Suga, plus one from their own roster, the Nippons were battered for 24 base hits by the Royal City nine. Every player in the New Westminster lineup had at least three hits, with the exception of Ray Hawkes, who got two, and Tucker, who went hitless. “Scotty” Knox picked off four of them. The victors will now tackle the Vacs for the so-called provincial title which, in reality, excludes any interior representation.

Dodd (W) and Senuty
Gregson(L), Yehle (3), Boston (6), G. Tanaka (8) and R. Yasui

B.C. Senior Finals (best-of-five)  New Westminster Fraser Cafe vs Vancouver Athletic Club

Pitcher Bryan Lewis of the Bellingham Tissues was placed on the playoff roster of the New Westminster Fraser Cafe team for the provincial finals against the Vancouver Athletic Club.

(September 16)  V.A.C. grabbed the first game of the finals from Fraser Cafe, last year’s winners, 7 to 3, with more than the just the ball game providing entertainment for the onlookers. Hot-tempered playing-manager Coley Hall of the Vancouverites provoked a round of fisticuffs with New Westminster baserunner Ray Hawkes in the top of the third frame, the result of which saw an initial banishment of both players, a decision later reversed after pleas from management of the Cafemen. With neither player sent to the showers, Hall came back to haunt the Royal City nine by drilling RBI doubles in both the fourth and sixth panels as the Red Caps wiped out an early 2 to 0 deficit and romped to the win. Hal Puder gave up seven hits and whiffed an equal number in going the route for the hillock victory. Jack Cole and Joe Dailey both had three singles for the winners.

Muscutt (L), Dodd (6) and Senuty
Puder (W) and Padovan

(September 17)  Winning pitcher “Scotty” Lee’s two-out single in the bottom of the ninth inning drove in Bill Tucker, who had doubled, with the winning marker as the New Westminster Fraser Cafemen evened the B.C. final series with the Vacs by edging past the Red Caps 5 to 4 in walkoff fashion. Both Lee and Tucker as well as first baseman Doug Fraser had two hits for the winners while Jimmy McKissock, losing flinger Joe Dailey and Andy Padovan replicated the feat for the V.A.C. contingent. One of McKissock’s base blows was a bases-empty dinger in the fourth canto.

Dailey (L) and Padovan
Lee (W) and Senuty

(September 20)  The Fraser Cafe gang of diamond pastimers from New Westminster made it two in a row, edging past the reeling Vacs 2 to 1 in the third game of their playoff joust. The Cafemen took advantage of a little loose play around third base in the fifth inning to score their brace of tallies and then fought off the Red Caps at every turn with a sparkling display of fielding which gave the mound decision to Doug Muscutt. Hal Puder pitched well enough for V.A.C. to win most ordinary games as he whiffed 14 in absorbing the defeat. Puder and Coley Hall of the vanquished nine led in the base hit department with a double and single apiece.

Muscutt (W) and Senuty
Puder (L) and Padovan

(September 21)  Forced to bear down, the V.A.C. squad hit their true stride when they flattened the Fraser Cafemen of New Westminster 3 to 0 at Athletic Park to send the battle for the B.C. senior crown to a fifth game. Pitcher Joe Dailey’s benders were a puzzle to the New Westminster nine as he whiffed ten batters while being nicked for just four hits, three of which came off the bat of Dean Freshfield. Coley Hall had three hits for the Red Caps. His triple in the second frame drove in the Vacs’ first run. He also smashed a double and a single, the one-bagger driving home the third counter for the winners.

Dailey (W) and Padovan
Lee (L) and Senuty

(September 22)  For the second night in succession, big Joe Dailey of the Vacs set back the fighting Fraser Cafe baseballers from New West minister, this time by a narrow 3 to 2 score. The win for the Red Caps wrapped up the B.C. Senior baseball series three games to two in their favour. Losing heaver Doug Muscutt was roughed up for single tallies in both the first and second cantos, one of which was a bases-empty four-ply shot by “Bunny” Purmal. The Frasers tied the score in the fifth on RBI hits by Muscutt and Dean Freshfield. Frank Hall opened the bottom of the seventh by drilling the horsehide to the middle pasture and made it to second base when it was momentarily bobbled. Jack Sherman sent him to third on a vintage sacrifice and a hard-hit drive off the glove of shortstop “Scotty” Knox by Hal Haughland allowed him to score the winner for V.A.C.

Muscutt (L) and Senuty
Dailey (W) and Padovan



Lynn Valley, Native Sons, Smith-Airline, Squamish, West Vancouver

The Smith-Airlines team captured the 1932 North Shore playoff title and went on to face Collingwood of the Vancouver & District loop in the opening round of the provincial playdowns. After eliminating Collingwood, their next foe was Ladner, champion of the Delta Baseball League, in the semi-finals for the B.C. Senior “B” championship. The North Shore aggregation captured a tightly-fought best-of-three series two games to one with one game tied. They then turned their attention to Port Coquitlam from the Triangle Baseball League in a clash for provincial supremacy. Again, the Airliners prevailed in the third and final game of the showdown, capturing the provincial crown with a bottom-of-the-last-inning run in a 1 to 0 victory.


Cloverdale, Ladner, Langley

Ladner     10 - 6
Langley     6 - 7  2.5
Surrey      6 - 11 4.5

Pennant-winning Ladner represented the 1932 Delta circuit in the B.C. senior “B” playdowns against Smith-Airlines of the North Shore League, dropping the semi-final series two games to one with one contest tied.


Fraser Mills, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody

The Coquitlam squad fell a run short in their quest for the provincial Senior “B” crown, dropping the deciding game of the finals 1 to 0 to Smith-Airlines of the North Shore circuit


B&W Oil, Collingwood, Grandview Liberals, Kerrisdale, Muacs

Collingwood won the Vancouver circuit title and faced Smith-Airlines, champions of the North Shore League, in the initial round of the provincial playdowns. After splitting the first two decisions, both decided by one-run margins, Collingwood lost the rubber match 3 to 1 and was eliminated.